Hey!

I currently have a Sony SLT-A37, which i bought a couple of years back. It is a pretty decent camera for a beginner at photography, but I really want to upgrade now. Many people tell me to go for the Nikon D5XXX series. Could you suggest some good camera for a budget price? And what about Canon?

Aditya K. Arun / redscape photo and video.

Photography, Tech enthusiast.

500px.com/redscape_

Instagram: redscape_

what kind of budget are you looking at Red? 
Personally as someone that shoots canon the ergonomics of Nikon cameras put me off and their lens selection is also something that I dislike hence why I've stayed through canon over multiple camera upgrades! But more importantly, what kind of price are you looking at.

10 minutes ago, ahyesalex said:

what kind of budget are you looking at Red? 
Personally as someone that shoots canon the ergonomics of Nikon cameras put me off and their lens selection is also something that I dislike hence why I've stayed through canon over multiple camera upgrades! But more importantly, what kind of price are you looking at.

Around $600. I am from the UAE, so prices here are pretty different from the US ones. Things which are pretty cheap there cost a lot more here. But gimme the options anyways.

Edited by Red____14

500px.com/redscape_

24 minutes ago, Red____14 said:

Around $600. I am from the UAE, so prices here are pretty different from the US ones. Things which are pretty cheap there cost a lot more here. But gimme the options anyways.

I'm from england so not sure on price conversion from here to you. If you're looking at the 5XXX line from nikon then probably look at used 700D/750Ds or possibly the original 7D. What I like about canon is how much cheaper their lenses are for the 'lower' end cameras. You can pick up a 50mm f1.8 (a classic photography lens) for under 100 pounds here where as the nikon autofocus equivalent is a reasonable amount more expensive. Not sure what the used market is like out in the UAE and I don't know of any websites that'll really help me out! But those are my suggestions anyway. 

The D5XXX series is a great beginner/intermediate series. The Cannon Rebels are good also, if not a bit lower end. Over here in the states, budget wise both of these cameras would new would be a 1/4 the cost of a 700 750 series($400-600 USD for a 5XXX or Rebel, $1500-2000 USD for a 750), and I wouldn't normally recommend one to a beginner. 

If it is really more cost effective to get the bigger camera, that's great. They are fantastic cameras, I own a D750 and I love it. The user interface will be a bit more aimed at professionals, and will take some getting used to. On the lower end I would recommend the D5600. It's compact, shoots great pictures and video, and has many modern camera features such as WiFI, articulating screen and such.

1 hour ago, zdog16 said:

The D5XXX series is a great beginner/intermediate series. The Cannon Rebels are good also, if not a bit lower end. Over here in the states, budget wise both of these cameras would new would be a 1/4 the cost of a 700 750 series($400-600 USD for a 5XXX or Rebel, $1500-2000 USD for a 750), and I wouldn't normally recommend one to a beginner. 

If it is really more cost effective to get the bigger camera, that's great. They are fantastic cameras, I own a D750 and I love it. The user interface will be a bit more aimed at professionals, and will take some getting used to. On the lower end I would recommend the D5600. It's compact, shoots great pictures and video, and has many modern camera features such as WiFI, articulating screen and such.

Are you talking about the Canon 750d and 700d? Those are the rebel series, uness you mean nikon's d7xx series, which is FF so thats the normal price range. 

OP: The d3300 and d3400 are also ok if that's all you can afford. Between the d5600 vs 800d, go for the Canon, the d5600 is marginally better than Canon rebels prior to that, so get the nikon. But then the d5500 isn't as good as the 750d and so on. 

Make sure the system you are getting into has the lens choices you will ever see yourself require, other than that, any of those in your price range is just as fine. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

1 hour ago, cc143 said:

Are you talking about the Canon 750d and 700d? Those are the rebel series, uness you mean nikon's d7xx series, which is FF so thats the normal price range. 

OP: The d3300 and d3400 are also ok if that's all you can afford. Between the d5600 vs 800d, go for the Canon, the d5600 is marginally better than Canon rebels prior to that, so get the nikon. But then the d5500 isn't as good as the 750d and so on. 

Make sure the system you are getting into has the lens choices you will ever see yourself require, other than that, any of those in your price range is just as fine. 

My mistake, you are correct. I am not as familiar with Cannon's lineup so when I read 700/750 I assumed he was referring to Nikon's D700 series. 

I looked through a lot of deals, and i found two of these to be very compelling.

One was a Nikon D5300 with a 18-55VR Kit Lens for 462$

The second one was a D5200 with a 18-55VR Lens, a 50mm 1.8D Fixed Lens, a 70-300mm Zoom Lens, a 16GB Sd Card, a case and a tripod for 680$.

The question is: Is it better to buy the D5300 with the standard lens and buy other lenses separately or go for the second option?

500px.com/redscape_