What's the exactly 7700k + 1080 ti power consumption

Go to solution Solved by Gaurav S Rao,

The 750TD

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Sure, it's an "other things equal" statement. And often you don't need to spend mroe to get the ideal wattage (I mean, sure, if we're talking 1500W vs 400W, same quality, there's going to be a huge price gap :P But within a reasonable range, not so much).

At the end of the day, I was addressing the question "how many W do I need for this system", not "how much build quality can I  give up for moar wattz" :P 

(I also think this forum sometimes exaggerates in terms of how high the bar is for "good quality PSU", but that's a different story)

Of course, but I'm of the strict belief that one shouldn't spend more than necessary. Maybe, just maybe, if efficiency is a make or break situation, then I'd see the point. But comparing the 550W variant against the 750/850W one, there's practically zero difference when it comes to what the main argument has been centred around; reliability and stability. Overclocked components don't draw that much power. Sometimes I think that people exaggerate how much they actually consume.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Heat isn't just bad for the PSU itself: the PSU will be inside a case, together with other components. There is no reason to generate unnecessary additional heat.

Of course, it's always possible to run a PSU to its limits, at high temperatures, and then blame "poor quality" when things turn out wrong... 9_9

The fan will counter act any additional heat that may be produced from the unit if necessary. A power supply won't simply fail because of high temperatures... the components inside have been designed to prevent that sort of situation from occurring and they're usually one of the more durable parts of the system. So yes, more often than not, poor quality is usually the culprit when a unit dies.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

44 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Overclocked components don't draw that much power. Sometimes I think that people exaggerate how much they actually consume.

No, they do. A 91W TDP 7700K can be north of 200W when overclocked to 5.0GHz or close. People tend to neglect how much additional current they are pushing through the chip with the vcore increments required for stable overclocks.

36 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

No, they do. A 91W TDP 7700K can be north of 200W when overclocked to 5.0GHz or close. People tend to neglect how much additional current they are pushing through the chip with the vcore increments required for stable overclocks.

A system with a i7-7700K @ 5.1GHz at 1.55V combined with a GTX 1080 consumed 156W total in AIDA 64 according to LegitReviews. I don't doubt that TDP and power consumption go out the window when overclocking but it's not overwhelming for a 550W unit.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder