Connecting triple PG279Qs with a single Asus 1080 Ti

red773

I have a triple ROG swift setup and 2 Asus Poseidon 1080 Tis however I do not wish to run surround and due to only one card being able to output video when in SLI and the Asus cards having 2 HDMI and 2 DP I can not connect all 3 monitors using DP to 1 GPU. Is there any way I can connect 3 PG279Qs at 165hz to a single card with 2 HDMI 2.0 and 2 DP 1.4? 

14 minutes ago, red773 said:

I have a triple ROG swift setup and 2 Asus Poseidon 1080 Tis however I do not wish to run surround and due to only one card being able to output video when in SLI and the Asus cards having 2 HDMI and 2 DP I can not connect all 3 monitors using DP to 1 GPU. Is there any way I can connect 3 PG279Qs at 165hz to a single card with 2 HDMI 2.0 and 2 DP 1.4? 

Double check the I/O on your GPUs. You should be able to do 3x DP, 1x HDMI and 1x DVI.

For monitors, you can do all on DP or 2x DP + 1x DVI. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

you could also just add a 3rd 1080 and use that to run another screen and have the other 2 in sli mode 

18 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Double check the I/O on your GPUs. You should be able to do 3x DP, 1x HDMI and 1x DVI.

For monitors, you can do all on DP or 2x DP + 1x DVI. 

Asus cards have 2 HDMI and 2 DP ports you can't run 3 DP monitors native.

18 hours ago, Alaradia said:

you could also just add a 3rd 1080 and use that to run another screen and have the other 2 in sli mode 

$700 just to run monitors seems a bit ridicules plus I don't have enough PCIE lanes for that. 

you have enough lanes since i'm guessing you have at least a 6th or 7th gen i7 a 1080 doesn't need 16x

Poseidon cards are 2.5 slot there is no mobo that has enough space for these cards and another GPU.

8 minutes ago, red773 said:

Asus cards have 2 HDMI and 2 DP ports you can't run 3 DP monitors native.

Ah right "VR friendly" 

You should good to use DVI or HDMI though. Alongside DP. 

Crazy that ASUS switched it up. Especially on the highest end card they do. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Ah right "VR friendly" 

You should good to use DVI or HDMI though. Alongside DP. 

Crazy that ASUS switched it up. Especially on the highest end card they do. 

I just tried HDMI for my 3d monitor for some reason it forces the second monitor connected to the first card to switch off and not be detected it limits each card to one display. I guess I am forced to replace my setup with a PG348Q. Sucks that Asus could not have at least engineered an HDMI 2.0 to DP 1.2+ adapter before axing one of their DP connectors.

5 minutes ago, red773 said:

I just tried HDMI for my 3d monitor for some reason it forces the second monitor connected to the first card to switch off and not be detected it limits each card to one display. I guess I am forced to replace my setup with a PG348Q. Sucks that Asus could not have at least engineered an HDMI 2.0 to DP 1.2+ adapter before axing one of their DP connectors.

You tried following their diagram? 

port.jpg

You tried following their diagram? 

port.jpg

Yes as you can see the 2 DP connectors can only power one monitor so when I plug in all 3 monitors 2 over DP and 1 over HDMI one of the DP monitors does not work.

1 minute ago, red773 said:

Yes as you can see the 2 DP connectors can only power one monitor so when I plug in all 3 monitors 2 over DP and 1 over HDMI one of the DP monitors does not work.

Tried 1xDP, 1x DVI and 1x HDMI? 

Should be doable. 

Tried 1xDP, 1x DVI and 1x HDMI? 

Should be doable. 

I tried DVI but it only lets me do 1440p at 30hz which is a joke considering this monitor should go up to 165hz. It seems I will have to switch my monitor setup. 

1 minute ago, red773 said:

I tried DVI but it only lets me do 1440p at 30hz which is a joke considering this monitor should go up to 165hz. It seems I will have to switch my monitor setup. 

DVI probably running out of bandwidth. 

Would have all been fine if ASUS did not change the I/O config. 

Unfortunately nothing you can do, the monitor only has HDMI 1.4 which can only support up to 1440p 60 Hz. You need to use the monitor's DisplayPort input, and if you don't have DisplayPort output on your graphics card then there is no way to do that. There are a few active adapters that can convert HDMI to DisplayPort but they only support up to HDMI 1.4, there aren't any available for HDMI 2.0. Even if you could use HDMI 2.0  they most you would be able to get is 1440p 144 Hz and with no G-Sync. You will not be able to use DisplayPort hubs, because 1440p 165 Hz takes around 2/3 of a DP 1.4 port's bandwidth, so there isn't enough to run two monitors on one port, and there are no DP 1.3+ compatible hubs anyway. If you want to run all three at 165 Hz you will need to replace your card with something that has three DisplayPort outputs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2017 at 1:41 AM, Glenwing said:

Unfortunately nothing you can do, the monitor only has HDMI 1.4 which can only support up to 1440p 60 Hz. You need to use the monitor's DisplayPort input, and if you don't have DisplayPort output on your graphics card then there is no way to do that. There are a few active adapters that can convert HDMI to DisplayPort but they only support up to HDMI 1.4, there aren't any available for HDMI 2.0. Even if you could use HDMI 2.0  they most you would be able to get is 1440p 144 Hz and with no G-Sync. You will not be able to use DisplayPort hubs, because 1440p 165 Hz takes around 2/3 of a DP 1.4 port's bandwidth, so there isn't enough to run two monitors on one port, and there are no DP 1.3+ compatible hubs anyway. If you want to run all three at 165 Hz you will need to replace your card with something that has three DisplayPort outputs.

I am using them as side monitors, so G-Sync does not really matter to me if I could do 1440p 100hz I would be happy because I am using a PG348q as my main monitor. However as you said I can not find any HDMI 2.0 to displayport adapters. Which is strange considering all the new 4k consoles that have HDMI 2.0.