So I screwed up, but is there a way to fix it?

niesume

So I recently (like literally yesterday) finished building my computer and I ran into a problem: the two 2TB hard drives I bought to go with my PC are actually server hard drives with the SAS interface. I can use my computer for now (seeing as my M.2 500GB SSD is there), but I would really like to get my extra 4TB for my extensive sound libraries for my composing (EWQL was supposed to be almost exclusively on one drive)

So to cut to the point, what can I do? I can't (and don't really want to) send the hard drives back. They were the first component I bought, and because I bought some of my components on Newegg "Flass Sales" when I had the funds, it is long past the RMA period. What I would prefer is a way to simply connect the drives to my computer, if if I do lose a little bis of speed. I've been lookin at these cables from Newegg to fix my woes, but I just wanted to check to see if they would work.

Full computer breakdown, if it helps:

GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming K7 (rev. 1.0) AM4 AMD X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GV-N1060XTREME-6GD 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card

AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz (3.6 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 65W YD1600BBAEBOX Desktop Processor

LG 12X Blu-Ray Disc Drive M-DISC Support Model UH12NS40 - OEM

Corsair Certified RMx Series RM650x 650W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular Power Supply (CP-9020091-NA/RF)

2x  CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)

Samsung 850 EVO M.2 2280 500 GB SSD

Competition between companies is always good for the consumer!

I think a PCIe based SAS scontroller card could work.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

get a PCIe based SAS controller card

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

How much is that going to cost/ are there any good ones that you guys would suggest?

1 minute ago, FireDragonWars said:

How much is that going to cost/ are there any good ones that you guys would suggest?

I don't know. I haven't really checked out any SAS controller cards. But they can be expensive I think.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

Oh goodness, looking at the stuff, it might just be better to bite the bit and buy two new hard drives

sad

34 minutes ago, GrayTech said:

I don't know. I haven't really checked out any SAS controller cards. But they can be expensive I think.

I went and tracked down the marketplace sellers site, and the have an extended 90 day return policy. I'm going to try to return it through there and just buy some new HDDs. If they wont let me return them, I'll just keep them for a rainy day or for when I feel like maybe making a server someday. ' > '