MOBO is dead. What do?

Hello!

I have a problem guys and I need your advice. I really did a shitty move. I wanted to clean my PC and when I wanted to take my GPU out i have destroyed a capacitor (stupid mobo manufacturers, who puts high capacitor near pcie? -.-)

Soo. I bought capacitors and tried to swap them. It's not possible with my current equpment. My soldeing device is to weak (~10 - 15W) and it's not possible to solder Tin with other metals. No go here.

My current rig is i7-3770k / Asrock Z77 EXtreme 4 / 8GB DDR3 2400MHz / GTX 1080

The worst thing is that i bought new 'old' CPU (i7 3770k) in april and sold i5 2500k because of CPU bottlenecks with 1080. And i just bought new ram. Upgraded from 1600MHz to 2400MHz. It's such a waste :(

So I have to options:
New mobo. It's hard to find mobo from Sandy/Ivy. THere are some on ebay but I will just not pay 150 Euros for guy with 2 or 3 feeback - high risk of scam and zero warranty that it works.

Second option would be to sell CPU/damaged mobo / memory (trident z is so nice :() / h80i aio and invest in new CPU/MOBO/RAM.

What to buy? Again i5? Isn't i5 just too low for 1080? Or maybe Ryzen 5 1600? Or should i go for 1700? Or buy i7 7700k and good aio? 

Wht would you do? Buy just mainboard or whole combo (cpu + ram + mobo)???

is bad capacitor still in place?

if yes then deenergize board and capacitor

then take into account cap+ and - legs

now cut legs as close to capacitor as you can

now solder the leg left overs to new capicitor never touching the tin joint

its a dirty way to fix but will work

otherwise take the new cap and mobo to your local construction site with electricians on site and a thermos of coffee or something and they willl probably help 

You can just pull the top off of most capacitors by hand.  at that point even your weak iron should be able to heat it up enough to remove the legs individually. 

6 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

is bad capacitor still in place?

if yes then deenergize board and capacitor

then take into account cap+ and - legs

now cut legs as close to capacitor as you can

now solder the leg left overs to new capicitor never touching the tin joint

its a dirty way to fix but will work

otherwise take the new cap and mobo to your local construction site with electricians on site and a thermos of coffee or something and they willl probably help 

Hmm. Only one leg is on the mobo. But i could use more tin and try to connect left leg direct to the rest of old cap.

mobas.jpg

it be worth the hour of time to ask your local ibew if they could direct you to one lf their workers.

ive had good and bad luck in this type situation

old stereo unit i used dremel and ground both leg points flat to board then used baby drill bit to redrill holes but its tedious and not for sure repair

you could try getting a torch and high quality steel nail and vice grips with welders gloves

clamp nail in vicegrips heat nail to cherry hot then touch to tin

again a tedious way to do and dangerous as you must remember where you set nail down

(yay fix cap but burn house down)