Current GTX 1070 pricing and availibility

Johntheawesomeguy

I have been looking to start building a new computer soon, but I noticed that 1070 pricing is very strange. I live in the US and they seem to keep going out of stock at newegg and amazon and pricing is much higher than it has been previously on the cards that are available. Why is this? and will stock and price restabilize?

Broke 14 Year old + No job + Love for Technology = Bad combo :(

Miners. 

The huge increase in bitcoin price has lead people to start buying mid range gpus in large amounts and has lead to unavailability in almost all midrange gpus.

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

The huge increase in bitcoin price has lead people to start buying mid range gpus in large amounts and has lead to unavailability in almost all midrange gpus.

And maybe since the senior miners have money they would target 1080! Even Titan!

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

It's because of stupid miners.

Ethereum (type of crypto currency) is kinda profitable right now and is pretty effective on amd cards so people were buying a ton of amd cards hoping to use them for mining since it's profitable. Well all the amd cards are sold out everywhere or priced $100-$200 more than they should be, so people started moving from Polaris GPUs to using Pascal GPUs like the 1070. It's not as good as Polaris but it's still profitable. So now 1070s are going out of stock and up in price.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

It's because of stupid miners.

Ethereum (type of crypto currency) is kinda profitable right now and is pretty effective on amd cards so people were buying a ton of amd cards hoping to use them for mining since it's profitable. Well all the amd cards are sold out everywhere or priced $100-$200 more than they should be, so people started moving from Polaris GPUs to using Pascal GPUs like the 1070. It's not as good as Polaris but it's still profitable. So now 1070s are going out of stock and up in price.

9 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

damn cryptocurrency miners, is there any way of knowing how long this will last? I really wanted to get some new stuff but the price of graphics cards at the moment is holding me back :(

1 minute ago, Johntheawesomeguy said:

damn cryptocurrency miners, is there any way of knowing how long this will last? I really wanted to get some new stuff but the price of graphics cards at the moment is holding me back :(

Well they are releasing miner cards to combat this so I would assume that prices will normalize in the next month or two.

2 minutes ago, Johntheawesomeguy said:

It is like unpredictable tsunami, and suddenly it disappeared...

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

7 minutes ago, Johntheawesomeguy said:

Ethereum will no longer be mineable come November of this year. I believe due to the switch from Proof of Work to Proof of Stake. It's already getting much more difficult, so there's that as well (2GB cards are pretty much useless actually)

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

1 minute ago, TheGhzGuy said:

Ethereum will no longer be mineable come November of this year. I believe due to the switch from Proof of Work to Proof of Stake. It's already getting much more difficult, so there's that as well (2GB cards are pretty much useless actually)

tell me about it, the whole reason for this upgrade is because my 2 gb gtx 960 is a bottleneck in a lot of games and my shit fx 8310 isnt helping

tell me about it, the whole reason for this upgrade is because my 2 gb gtx 960 is a bottleneck in a lot of games and my shit fx 8310 isnt helping

Well what about GTX 970?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Just now, Johntheawesomeguy said:

Probably should clarify, Ethereum Mining takes up VRAM, and the tasks are already larger than 2GB. In a few months, the RX 470 might not be profitable anymore either. (It'll be too slow, about half the mining rate)

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Well what about GTX 970?

it would certainly help, but I have been saving for an all new pc and don't think an upgrade is going to do much good.

Just now, TheGhzGuy said:

Probably should clarify, Ethereum Mining takes up VRAM, and the tasks are already larger than 2GB. In a few months, the RX 470 might not be profitable anymore either. (It'll be too slow, about half the mining rate)

ah I see, well I would argue 2gb of vram may not be equally as useless in gaming, but still pretty bad

it would certainly help, but I have been saving for an all new pc and don't think an upgrade is going to do much good.

What budget mate? $800?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

What budget mate? $800?

for the new system I have a $1000 budget in mind and the only thing I am using from the old system is storage. This is because I want to sell the old one and build an ITX gaming pc.

3 minutes ago, Johntheawesomeguy said:

ah I see, well I would argue 2gb of vram may not be equally as useless in gaming, but still pretty bad

That's a good point. I'll still be using 1GB and 2GB cards for my own "Mining" (Gridcoin)

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

3 minutes ago, Johntheawesomeguy said:

build an ITX gaming pc.

Harshest thing i ever see...

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

20 minutes ago, Johntheawesomeguy said:

No it's really uncertain.

If you're willing to though you might want to consider looking towards the used market for a 980 ti. You can usually get em for $300-$350 or so and they're similar to 1070 i performance.

17 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Well they are releasing miner cards to combat this so I would assume that prices will normalize in the next month or two.

I've said it before, I really doubt that'll do much. The problem is the fabs don't have enough supply for the demand, and the mining cards are still going to be coming from the fabs. What's really gonna happen is they're gonna become sold out super fast in which case either people will start buying normal GPUs again or the sellers will start putting more GPUs into the mining GPUs which will in turn mean there's less normal GPUs available. Either way it won't help much.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

No it's really uncertain.

If you're willing to though you might want to consider looking towards the used market for a 980 ti. You can usually get em for $300-$350 or so and they're similar to 1070 i performance.

I've said it before, I really doubt that'll do much. The problem is the fabs don't have enough supply for the demand, and the mining cards are still going to be coming from the fabs. What's really gonna happen is they're gonna become sold out super fast in which case either people will start buying normal GPUs again or the sellers will start putting more GPUs into the mining GPUs which will in turn mean there's less normal GPUs available. Either way it won't help much.

The fad will go away in the next month or so when people realise it's going to get less and less profitable and the value of the cryptocurrency should go down as people start selling all the coins they are mining.

9 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I will consider that, although for a new pc im not a fan of using used parts

36 minutes ago, Johntheawesomeguy said:

I will consider that, although for a new pc im not a fan of using used parts

Yeah I understand your concern. It's just that 1070s are getting so hard to get your hands on....

One alternative you might consider is waiting for vega. It's planned for release at the end of July/early August. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they also become popular mining cards so you should buy quickly, not to mention that that means waiting over a month.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah I understand your concern. It's just that 1070s are getting so hard to get your hands on....

One alternative you might consider is waiting for vega. It's planned for release at the end of July/early August. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they also become popular mining cards so you should buy quickly, not to mention that that means waiting over a month.

I can hold out for longer, my pc still does fine in most games. I hope that they aren't hard to get your hands on at launch though :/

I can hold out for longer, my pc still does fine in most games. I hope that they aren't hard to get your hands on at launch though :/

It's a bit of a gamble tbh :/ 

I really don't know. I'd guess for the first few days it'd be ok but I'm really not sure.

I'm also waiting for vega but now I'm getting a bit worried that I might not be able to get it.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I came here, because I also noticed that prices are higher than they used to be for Nvidia GPUs.

Price on mindfactory about 2 weeks ago:

GTX 1080 Ti: 670€

GTX 1080: 470€

GTX 1070: 360€

Now The chepeast 1080 ti is 710€, GTX 1080 for 540€ and GTX 1070 for 420€.

So because RX 4xx and 5xx are out of stock, miners are buying nvidia cards aswell xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB