I have no idea what I'm doing

I'm looking at aftermarket cooling solutions for my Ryzen 5 1600 build (which is currently in a Thermaltake H Versa mATX case). I'm told that an AiO takes up less space, so would be a better option for the case I'm working with. Right now, I'm specifically looking at a Corsair Hyrdo H60. However, I already have an exhaust fan. Would that cooler be alright if I put the fan in the top portion of my case? If that's a bad cooler, what other options should I look at? I'd like a two fan model so that it takes up both fan slots on the top of the case, but it's not terribly important, that's more of an aesthetic thing than anyone else. If water cooling isn't really worth it for that processor, what air cooler would fit in this case size? 

Thanks in advance! 

Everything I know I learned from the internet. Also school. 

Current Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.65 ghz, Cryorig H7

MoBo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC

RAM: 2x8 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @2666mhz

PSU: 650W EVGA SuperNova

Storage: 120gb SK Hynix SSD, 240gb SanDisk SSD Plus, 1 TB 2015 WD Blue

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

If you go water, get at least an H80 or H100 or whatever it's called today.

I personally would stick with air, a nice noctua cooler should do the job :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Go for a 240 mm AIO, the 120 mm options are not worth it performance or price wise. H100i v2 is corsair's 240 mm

10 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Go for a 240 mm AIO, the 120 mm options are not worth it performance or price wise. H100i v2 is corsair's 240 mm

That looks kind of large for my case. Is there any way to know if it'll fit besides buying the cooler and trying it? I'm worried about the clearance with regards to my RAM. 

Current Desktop:

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

Its approximately 55 mm (30 mm rad + 25 mm fan) in height, so if that clashes with your RAM sticks, then maybe not. According to the specs they say it supports, but they may not have thought of the fans.

2 minutes ago, TraskJ said:

That looks kind of large for my case. Is there any way to know if it'll fit besides buying the cooler and trying it? I'm worried about the clearance with regards to my RAM. 

Which RAM sticks are you using? are they really tall too?

Also AIO does indeed take up less space around the CPU socket, but the radiator + fan is bulky, and also potentially more noisy (pump noise + fan noise, instead of just fan noise). That is why some of the premium air coolers give you better acoustics for similar (and in some cases the same, and rare cases better) performance. This is why I don't recommend 120 mm radiators because you have to run the fans fast which defeats the whole acoustic aspect of water cooling.

Just now, For Science! said:

Which RAM sticks are you using? are they really tall too?

Also AIO does indeed take up less space around the CPU socket, but the radiator + fan is bulky, and also potentially more noisy (pump noise + fan noise, instead of just fan noise). That is why some of the premium air coolers give you better acoustics for similar (and in some cases the same, and rare cases better) performance. This is why I don't recommend 120 mm radiators because you have to run the fans fast which defeats the whole acoustic aspect of water cooling.

That makes sense. I have one Corsair Vengeance 8gb stick, but it isn't particularly tall. I'm just concerned about the overall cramped nature of the mATX case (really regretting not going ATX). 

Current Desktop:

1 hour ago, TraskJ said:

The case you linked supports a 240mm radiator in the front and top.

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification.aspx?id=C_00002583

There's even some sample photos of what it would look like with an AiO on their page.

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002583

---

1 hour ago, TraskJ said:

That makes sense. I have one Corsair Vengeance 8gb stick, but it isn't particularly tall. I'm just concerned about the overall cramped nature of the mATX case (really regretting not going ATX). 

If you are not fixed on top mounting the 240 mm radiator (for which you will have to remove the optical bay), you can always run the AIO in the front as an intake. From the pictures you may even have enough space for push/pull depending on the length of your graphics card. This may even give you better directional flow of air compared to having something with a top + rear exhaust.

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

If you are not fixed on top mounting the 240 mm radiator (for which you will have to remove the optical bay), you can always run the AIO in the front as an intake. From the pictures you may even have enough space for push/pull depending on the length of your graphics card. This may even give you better directional flow of air compared to having something with a top + rear exhaust.

That makes sense. My graphics card isn't terribly long, so I imagine a radiator would fit in the front just fine. The hosing will reach back to the CPU, right? 

13 minutes ago, PrimeSonic said:

The case you linked supports a 240mm radiator in the front and top.

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification.aspx?id=C_00002583

There's even some sample photos of what it would look like with an AiO on their page.

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002583

I didn't even know that there was a product page for this... thanks! 

Current Desktop:

1 minute ago, TraskJ said:

That makes sense. My graphics card isn't terribly long, so I imagine a radiator would fit in the front just fine. The hosing will reach back to the CPU, right? 

I didn't even know that there was a product page for this... thanks! 

Yes, most AIOs have quite long tubes for worst-case (pun intended) scenarios. I think the performance will be just fine with even just push or pull, but if you can fit it in you may consider a push-pull configuration so you can make it even quieter (or better air flow). You will need a PWM splitter and 2 more PWM fans if you choose to push-pull though!

Just now, For Science! said:

Yes, most AIOs have quite long tubes for worst-case (pun intended) scenarios. I think the performance will be just fine with even just push or pull, but if you can fit it in you may consider a push-pull configuration so you can make it even quieter (or better air flow). You will need a PWM splitter and 2 more PWM fans if you choose to push-pull though!

Time for me to do some research, cause I have no idea what this push-pull thing is. 

Current Desktop:

Its a way to describe the direction of the fan airflow and where it is with respect to the radiator. If we take a front mounted radiator

This is push (front intake):

<-------------------------- Airflow ----------------------------------------

Inside of the case          Radiator          Fan             Outside of case

This is pull (front intake):

Inside of the case          Fan           Radiator             Outside of case

This is also push, but as front exhaust (not recommended):

-------------------------- Airflow ---------------------------------------->>

Inside of the case          Fan           Radiator             Outside of case

And this is pull, as front exhaust (not recommended):

-------------------------- Airflow ---------------------------------------->>

Inside of the case          Radiator          Fan             Outside of case

Push-pull is when you sandwich the radiator with two fans for better performance (at the same rpm) or the same performance at lower rpm.

Inside of the case          Fan           Radiator    Fan            Outside of case

The direction of air can be flipped by flipping the fans

Essentially you can think of it as: is the fan pushing air against the radiator, or is the fan pulling air through the radiator. Between push and pull there is little performance difference, but pull is generally easier to clean (in push dust accumulates between the fan and radiator, whereas in pull the dust accumulates on the other side of the radiator)

Push-pull improves things but obviously you need to invest in more fans, and potentially fan splitters so that they all move at the same time and at the same rpm.