I need help with Ryzen 7 1700 and MSi b350 tomahawk.

Good day to all of you.

First of all, i am new in these kinds of forums. Please forgive me if i have posted on the wrong thread.

This is the problem i have.

I have build a PC (see specs in the bottom). This is my first build, but i have quite a lot of experience when it comes to computers (specially hardware). I didn't have any problems while building my PC and i knew exactly where to put everything.

After i built my PC, it booted up correctly (it took a little long but i know its OK if its the first time it's booting). I installed windows 10 and continued to install all the drivers. I downloaded the drivers from the official MSI web-site.

The PC was running good. Though it took a little to long to boot. Actually, it took to long to POST (like 20 or more seconds). One problem i noticed is that, every time i turned my PC off, windows would shut down, but the fans kept spinning and the LEDs in the case and everywhere were still on for like an other 15 seconds (Add that to the shut down time of windows and it took like 40 seconds to completely shut down the PC). The same was happening while booting up. I press the button, lights and fans turn on for like 20 seconds, then the PC POSTS, then it starts Booting.

Also, the RAM is 3000 mhz. In bios, my ram was underclocked at 2133 mHz. I read in the internet and i found out that this is a common problem with that motherboard and that updating the bios would fix that (and many other problems). So cool, i downloaded the latest bios (v1.5) and upgraded my bios(v1.2) at the time.

-After i updated, i saw that now the ram was running at 2133mHz but i could easily OC it at 2666mHz. I was OK with that, though it was not 3000 mHz. But i still had the other problems. Long POSTING and BOOTING times, fans and LEDs still on after Windows shuts down so i went to the bios and disabled splash screen and some other stuff. After i did that, i restarted my PC and yeah it was somewhat faster but now i had an other problem. Everytime i turn my pc on, it posts (takes long again), starts the Windows 10 boot (the circle loading screen starts) but right after 1 or 2 seconds, pc restarts and it boots up again but it boots into the BIOS. So now every time i turn on my pc it boots into the bios. Yes, the bios does memorize all the settings, time and ram frequency. 

-I tried to fix this in the bios and WOW, now i have an other problem. Each time i turn my PC on, in the moment i press the power button (before it posts and stuff), a creepy pixelated image is shown on my screen, then it proceeds with the usual, (boot windows, restart while booting windows, restart PC, show that image again, boot the BIOS, I exit bios, PC restarts, shows that creepy image, posts (long), boots (longer) and now i can use my pc. Great :D).

An other thing that i noticed is that now after all this has happened, when windows boots up, it is laggy (like when i want to type my password it takes some time for the login screen to show up)

Also yesterday, for some reason my CPU was only being used like 12% in Counter Strike GO, but i assume (And hope) its because of CSGO.

SPECS:

Processor:             AMD Ryzen 1700 (Amazon.com);

Motherboard:        MSI B350 Tomahawk (the one with red LED) (Amazon.com);

RAM:                      Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 mHz (Amazon.com);

HDD:                      2 x Seagate Barracuda 2 TB (2016 i think) (Newegg.com);

Case:                     NZXT s340 Elite (Newegg.com);

GPU:                      PowerColor RX480 4GB Red Dragon (Newegg.com);

I will get an SSD eventually and see if that fixes the booting problem.

Thank you very very much for reading this far.

I wish you all the best ^^

I can't answer everything, but i can answer some parts. 

-LED's staying on after turning the PC of is a feauture. Used for charging your phone at night for example. I have the Asus prima b350 and can download software from asus to turn those settings of.(although i'm to lazy to do it).

-Yes. CS:GO uses your CPU a lot.

-Besides the fact your PC acts weird and keeps restarting etc or takes 20 seconds before it starts booting, at the start you described a 20 sec boot in general, which is out of my own expierences not weird at all if you dont have an SSD.

-RAM runs on a lower mHz often, you can change this in the bios.

I would like to know what you changed etc. It sounds like you had a problem, and tried fixing it by doing random shit and changing random settings. 

3 minutes ago, Roli_i7 said:

One problem i noticed is that, every time i turned my PC off, windows would shut down, but the fans kept spinning and the LEDs in the case and everywhere were still on for like an other 15 seconds (Add that to the shut down time of windows and it took like 40 seconds to completely shut down the PC).

Some motherboards this is a feature to help dissipate heat in the system before powering off. If this is a feature of your motherboard it should be configurable in the BIOS.

4 minutes ago, Roli_i7 said:

The same was happening while booting up. I press the button, lights and fans turn on for like 20 seconds, then the PC POSTS, then it starts Booting.

This could be the motherboard trying to train the RAM.

4 minutes ago, Roli_i7 said:

Also, the RAM is 3000 mhz. In bios, my ram was underclocked at 2133 mHz

This is not a problem, but how RAM works. It is the stock speed of DDR4. Not all CPU's and motherboards support the same frequencies and timings, although a default setting is standard to ensure that the CPU/Motherboard/RAM will be compatible. The CPU is only rated to 2666MHz, anything above this is an overclock and is not guaranteed.

7 minutes ago, Roli_i7 said:

Everytime i turn my pc on, it posts (takes long again), starts the Windows 10 boot (the circle loading screen starts) but right after 1 or 2 seconds, pc restarts and it boots up again but it boots into the BIOS

This could be due to an unstable overclock. Try raising voltages, or reducing clock speed.

8 minutes ago, Roli_i7 said:

Each time i turn my PC on, in the moment i press the power button (before it posts and stuff), a creepy pixelated image is shown on my screen

In the BIOS there are options for how the boot displays, they can either show a low res image, or text. You may have toggled this setting.

9 minutes ago, Roli_i7 said:

when windows boots up, it is laggy (like when i want to type my password it takes some time for the login screen to show up)

Welcome to Windows 10.

A common cause for lag when in the login screen is the OS is still loading a lot of junk in the background. An SSD should help a lot though.

10 minutes ago, Roli_i7 said:

Also yesterday, for some reason my CPU was only being used like 12% in Counter Strike GO, but i assume (And hope) its because of CSGO.

Check in task manager how this usage is distributed over your processors threads.

Can you take a picture of the "creepy image"? I've seen many low res boot images but none of them were creepy.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

1 minute ago, xitywampas said:

Can you take a picture of the "creepy image"? I've seen many low res boot images but none of them were creepy.

I once had a motherboard that showed a horrific "MSI" logo, that gave me nightmares for months.

No i wasn't just doing random shit. All i did was that i disabled splash screen and i disabled boot up of all the devices i dont need.

I am at work right now but i will take a picture once i go home 

9 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Check in task manager how this usage is distributed over your processors threads.

Could be handy, but not really needed. CS:GO is a game that can be heavy on your CPU. 

Just now, Roli_i7 said:

No i wasn't just doing random shit. All i did was that i disabled splash screen and i disabled boot up of all the devices i dont need.

i went to the bios and disabled splash screen and some other stuff

I tried to fix this in the bios

Seems like a bit more than only disabling the splashscreen. Again, i have no idea what you changed etc, but thats why i asked what kind of settings did you change?

6 minutes ago, Roli_i7 said:

Next time you are in BIOS load optimised defaults. Don't overclock anything, how does it boot up/shut down now? Btw Anything slow beyond the POST is because of a lack of SSD. You need an SSD :P 

3 minutes ago, PatrickK said:

Seems like a bit more than only disabling the splashscreen. Again, i have no idea what you changed etc, but thats why i asked what kind of settings did you change?

Ok let me think.

1. I did change the fan speeds.

2. I turned on Windows 10 WHQL supprort.

3. CPU fan fail warning.

4. I played with the memroy TryIT feature, to see which ram settings work best.

5. Enabled XMP.

6. Enabled game boost.

7. Disabled splash screen and many devices i dont need to boot up.

Keep in mind, i reset my bios back to defaults.

Also i noticed, my temps can reach up to 55C in bios. Some say its ok some say its not...

6 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Next time you are in BIOS load optimised defaults. Don't overclock anything, how does it boot up/shut down now? Btw Anything slow beyond the POST is because of a lack of SSD. You need an SSD :P 

Yes but that is the problem. There is no POST. just a blank screen showing nothing

1 minute ago, Roli_i7 said:

Yes but that is the problem. There is no POST. just a blank screen showing nothing

Yeah you disabled splash screen that's why :P POST still occurs there is nothing for you to see. Once the windows loading icon appears the POST has finished.

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Yeah you disabled splash screen that's why :P POST still occurs there is nothing for you to see. Once the windows loading icon appears the POST has finished.

So you saying that 20 second posts are normal?

1 minute ago, Roli_i7 said:

So you saying that 20 second posts are normal?

I had heard MSI was having long posts on AM4 yes. Which is why I never suggest those boards, however people tell me a BIOS update fixed it. For example my crosshair will go from cold to typing in my password in <20 seconds.

5 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I had heard MSI was having long posts on AM4 yes. Which is why I never suggest those boards, however people tell me a BIOS update fixed it. For example my crosshair will go from cold to typing in my password in <20 seconds.

ok then, i guess i will just re-flash my bios