What fan speed should my PC run at?

I have bequiet! silentwings 3 PWM high-speed fans and recently downloaded speedfan (recommended by Jayztwocents). I was wondering what % or at what rpm should my fans be at?

Another way to interpret is maybe what temps are really good for gaming/idle that way I can mess around with speedfans to get the temps at "this" fan speed.

I heard something about MSI afterburner but not too familiar with it. To my knowledge it is able to have the fans run at certain temps?

PC Specs: i7 6700k, EVGA 1070 ftw

As fast as they can be without the sound bothering you I suppose

Or you could go the other say and say as slow as possible while maintaining good temps.

Or anywhere within the range between these two speeds, assuming there is an overlap.  To anyone out there with bad fans, you won't have one and that's why they're bad :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Whatever you want, really. Run them slow to have a quiet experience, or faster for better temps. Whatever you're feeling.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Exactly 1337RPM.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Speedfan is an interesting program, however it can be a pain to setup correctly. Jayz2cents has recommended Speedfan however it really isn't ideal for most situations...

Speedfan is great for tinkering around sometimes, but if you're looking for day-to-day usability I would recommend using the BIOS fan control. Setup a fan curve like this for general use:

Image result for bios fan curve

However with liquid cooling you can generally have the fans at 0% up to 35 degrees or so, then you can ramp it up gradually making sure you hit 100% by at least 85 degrees to be safe. Water-cooling is pretty efficient at cooling though so you shouldn't actually hit 100% fan speed.

One of the difficulties in answering a question such as yours is that there is a lot on information that is unknown, such as the top speed of the fans you have. Can you enter the specific name and model of the fans you have (I presume they are PWM fans).

It's also important to specify your motherboard model and which headers all your fans are connected to - I know this sounds pedantic but the more information we have the better chance you'll get the best answer quickly.

After answering a fair few fan speed questions I know that a lot of people don't understand the 'ins and outs' of PWM control- it is extremely important if your looking into doing any level of custom fan setup IMO. You can learn all about it on this forum as there has been a lot of questions with PWM and fan/pump speed control.

If you post a response with the info I've requested we can likely help you get the best solution. But just to reiterate, Speedfan is useful in some tinkering based scenarios, but for day to day use it's more of a hindrance than a help IMO.

P.S.: Just remembered you posted the fan models in your question - just me being a moron for a second, it happens probably more than it should. Motherboard model will be extremely useful though.

10 hours ago, Aloe Vera said:

Speedfan is an interesting program, however it can be a pain to setup correctly. Jayz2cents has recommended Speedfan however it really isn't ideal for most situations...

Speedfan is great for tinkering around sometimes, but if you're looking for day-to-day usability I would recommend using the BIOS fan control. Setup a fan curve like this for general use:

Image result for bios fan curve

However with liquid cooling you can generally have the fans at 0% up to 35 degrees or so, then you can ramp it up gradually making sure you hit 100% by at least 85 degrees to be safe. Water-cooling is pretty efficient at cooling though so you shouldn't actually hit 100% fan speed.

One of the difficulties in answering a question such as yours is that there is a lot on information that is unknown, such as the top speed of the fans you have. Can you enter the specific name and model of the fans you have (I presume they are PWM fans).

It's also important to specify your motherboard model and which headers all your fans are connected to - I know this sounds pedantic but the more information we have the better chance you'll get the best answer quickly.

After answering a fair few fan speed questions I know that a lot of people don't understand the 'ins and outs' of PWM control- it is extremely important if your looking into doing any level of custom fan setup IMO. You can learn all about it on this forum as there has been a lot of questions with PWM and fan/pump speed control.

If you post a response with the info I've requested we can likely help you get the best solution. But just to reiterate, Speedfan is useful in some tinkering based scenarios, but for day to day use it's more of a hindrance than a help IMO.

P.S.: Just remembered you posted the fan models in your question - just me being a moron for a second, it happens probably more than it should. Motherboard model will be extremely useful though.

thank you so much. i have the asus maximus hero viii and my fans are teh be quiet silent wings 3 pwm high-speed. They are connected to the Chasis fan headers (2 of the fans are attached to a splitter), except for my cpu cooler (bequiet dark rock tf, which use the silent wings 2 pwm), which is attached to the CPU_HEAD.

On 6/23/2017 at 0:17 AM, Tweed said:

thank you so much. i have the asus maximus hero viii and my fans are teh be quiet silent wings 3 pwm high-speed. They are connected to the Chasis fan headers (2 of the fans are attached to a splitter), except for my cpu cooler (bequiet dark rock tf, which use the silent wings 2 pwm), which is attached to the CPU_HEAD.

That is an extremely versatile board with masses of PWM fan headers compared to most.

Your configuration seems perfectly setup, one thing I have found is especially useful for simple setup and operation is to use a Fan Hub. They simply take the one fan curve and dish it out to all fans connected to it. This means you only need to setup one fan curve, and all your fan cables can be sent to the back of the motherboard tray and plug into the Fan Hub which is out of sight.

And on top of that, only one of the fans needs to be PWM (the fan connected to the first header on the hub), the rest can be 3-pin fans and will operate in the same way as the PWM fan, more or less.

They should be one of the most popular products IMO as they make dealing with fans so much easier, andy they are inexpensive. I can't think of many reasons why someone would require over 5 PWM fan headers - not unless they would be staggering their PWM curves for THE most quiet setup (which would be pretty awesome, and now I want to try it).

Anyway, let me know if there is anything else you need to talk over. Apologies for the late reply BTW, had a slightly busy weekend.