Can Z97 motherboard boot from PCIE 3.0 x4 (M.2) and not from onboard M.2 Slot

Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,
2 minutes ago, The_Legend_27 said:

I already have an 128GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata SSD but I want to upgrade as I don't have enough space

I want to know as I will get it as a gift from my father.

BTW what do you mean it doesnt improve boot times and app launch times?

It has 3200GB/s Read speeds right? Could you explain why it wouldnt help? :)

Yeah I would just get a sata ssd instead. You could get an 850 evo if you want a decent one, if you're fine with something a bit cheaper the SU800 Ultimate, Trion 150, Ultra II, WD Blue, or MX300 are all decent alternatives.

Quite simply, an NVMe drive won't boot up windows any faster or launch apps any faster than most sata SSDs out there.

First of all, that 3200 GB/s figure is sequential performance. Nowadays, random performance is usually what matters more.

Second of all, that's peak performance. SSDs can't usually sustain that much performance for long before they throttle back.

And third of all, or the most important reason, is that SSDs aren't really the bottleneck when it comes to these tasks. Booting the OS and launching apps isn't just loading stuff from the ssd to memory, but involves other stuff like computations being done by the CPU. This is evidence of this.

http://techreport.com/review/30813/samsung-960-pro-2tb-ssd-reviewed/5

Even the 960 pro, what I would consider the fastest consumer ssd available on the market, is barely faster than something like an 850 evo.

Also, please quote me in the future or I might not know you replied :) 

So I have an Asus Maximus VII Ranger and I want to get a new M.2 Samsung 960 Evo.

The problem is that my motherboard has an M.2 port but its limited at 10Gbit/s.

That means 960 Evo's potential is wasted on my motherboard.

I thought about getting an M.2 to PCI 3.0 x4 adapter

(e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Lycom-DT-120-PCIe-Adapter-Support/dp/B00MYCQP38)

to get the maximum speeds of the M.2. But I need to know if the M.2 will be bootable.

If anyone knows if my motherboard can boot from a M.2 from PCIE 3.0 x4?

Please help, I have been searching for days and found nothing.

Thanks in advance!!

I think so, but why?

If you're only using the drive for os and apps I suggest you get a sata ssd. NVMe doesn't improve boot times or app launch times. It's only really useful for prosumers.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I already have an 128GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata SSD but I want to upgrade as I don't have enough space

2 minutes ago, The_Legend_27 said:

Yeah I would just get a sata ssd instead. You could get an 850 evo if you want a decent one, if you're fine with something a bit cheaper the SU800 Ultimate, Trion 150, Ultra II, WD Blue, or MX300 are all decent alternatives.

Quite simply, an NVMe drive won't boot up windows any faster or launch apps any faster than most sata SSDs out there.

First of all, that 3200 GB/s figure is sequential performance. Nowadays, random performance is usually what matters more.

Second of all, that's peak performance. SSDs can't usually sustain that much performance for long before they throttle back.

And third of all, or the most important reason, is that SSDs aren't really the bottleneck when it comes to these tasks. Booting the OS and launching apps isn't just loading stuff from the ssd to memory, but involves other stuff like computations being done by the CPU. This is evidence of this.

Even the 960 pro, what I would consider the fastest consumer ssd available on the market, is barely faster than something like an 850 evo.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Thanx for explaining this :), but where are they actually useful?

I thought I could make this GTA V thing load faster xD.

So you are telling me that in real-world scenarios it will be the same as the 850 Evo, right?

BTW will I see better performance in 4K videos and/or gaming graphics loading?

Becuase I will soon get a new 4K display (forgot to mention it before :P)

Not sure if I will be able to play in stable 60 fps even after I will buy a GTX 1070, but I like to be future-proof. :)

Tbh I saw the 3200GB/s and thought wow, I could make my setup a beast with like 60 euros more (difference from 960 Evo and 850 Evo (both 500 GB)) ;)

11 minutes ago, The_Legend_27 said:

Thanx for explaining this :), but where are they actually useful?

I thought I could make this GTA V thing load faster xD.

So you are telling me that in real-world scenarios it will be the same as the 850 Evo, right?

BTW will I see better performance in 4K videos and/or gaming graphics loading?

Becuase I will soon get a new 4K display (forgot to mention it before :P)

Not sure if I will be able to play in stable 60 fps even after I will buy a GTX 1070, but I like to be future-proof. :)

Tbh I saw the 3200GB/s and thought wow, I could make my setup a beast with like 60 euros more (difference from 960 Evo and 850 Evo (both 500 GB)) ;)

Na, it probably wouldn't be very useful for you. Nvme SSDs are manly useful for prosumers (I believe that it can speed up exporting, importing videos to a project, etc.) and also can lift their legs if you're transferring large files off of them. For average consumers they aren't worth it though. In scenarios that it sounds like you would be encountering, an 850 evo would perform pretty much the same.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Na, it probably wouldn't be very useful for you. Nvme SSDs are manly useful for prosumers (I believe that it can speed up exporting, importing videos to a project, etc.) and also can lift their legs if you're transferring large files off of them. For average consumers they aren't worth it though. In scenarios that it sounds like you would be encountering, an 850 evo would perform pretty much the same.

So I guess I will get the 850 Evo (500GB), but from the money I am saving I think I could get a new 1TB HDD cuz my secondary HDD is dying and have lots of data that I would prefer not to lose xD.

Right now I have an old Seagate ST31000524AS 1TB.

Could you suggest me a good 1TB HDD (or even higher than 1TB)?

I would like to clarify that I don't mind to spend some money in order to gain some real-world performance. :)

6 minutes ago, The_Legend_27 said:

So I guess I will get the 850 Evo (500GB), but from the money I am saving I think I could get a new 1TB HDD cuz my secondary HDD is dying and have lots of data that I would prefer not to lose xD.

Right now I have an old Seagate ST31000524AS 1TB.

Could you suggest me a good 1TB HDD (or even higher than 1TB)?

I would like to clarify that I don't mind to spend some money in order to gain some real-world performance. :)

The WD Caviar Blue 1 tb is generally a pretty good drive. You can usually get this Seagate 2tb drive for around 30-40% more.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CbL7YJ/seagate-barracuda-2tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm006

The WD Black drives are generally some of the fastest HDDs out there. However, the price of the 1tb is the same as the price of the Seagate 2tb usually so it might not really be that worth it.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

The WD Caviar Blue 1 tb is generally a pretty good drive. You can usually get this Seagate 2tb drive for around 30-40% more.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CbL7YJ/seagate-barracuda-2tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm006

The WD Black drives are generally some of the fastest HDDs out there. However, the price of the 1tb is the same as the price of the Seagate 2tb usually so it might not really be that worth it.

Thanx again mate :)

Have a good day!!

4 minutes ago, The_Legend_27 said:

Thanx again mate :)

Have a good day!!

No problem! Have a good day as well :) 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler