Infamous Switchable graphics

Go to solution Solved by intender,

try the leshcat drivers. http://leshcatlabs.net/  I have an HP dv6 laptop with an i7 and radeon 6770m and HP hadnt updated the drivers in years much less support for windows 10 and AMD doesnt support switchable graphics anymore.  I have been using them for a couple of years with great results.  Sadly the current release is the last he is going to make.    Mine also does the crap where the igpu has to be enabled because it uses it to output the display and games always wanted to use the intel graphics for games.  With the leshcat drivers it works as it should. 

Here is a direct link to the download page.http://leshcatlabs.net/downloads_unfil/ 

Use ddu to remove the old drivers first and reboot.  And to install the drivers there is an exe in the folder that I dont know the name of off the top of my head.  It will open up a cmd prompt that will install the drivers properly.  You can do it manually but it doesnt always work correctly and the amd driver install will fail about 75% of the time. 

so i recently sold my lenovo y50-70 to buy a nintendo switch and a lesser laptop wich i stumpled uppon a Dell inspiron 15 5547 with the following specs, Core i7 4510U, 8gb of ram, 1tb hard drive and RAdeon R7 265M 2gb gpu, the laptop is in great shape with the battery @ 89% of its life i mostly only use my laptop to play some games  at lan parties with my friends such as league, cs go, rocket league, world of wacraft, diablo etc etc, not very demanding titles, wich the Lenovo was clearly overkill for (but well i got it for 400$ what can i complain), so after i got the laptop i did a clean install updated everything, and found out it has the horrid and infamous Switchable graphics wich are always a pain to get working, but i did, and decided to fire some benchmarks and games to see how well the i7 4510u and the 265m will fare, to my surprize, i expected the 265m to fare similar to a GT 555m i had on a previous alienware, and the i7 similar to a mobile i3, but the Games dont work at all! they keep stuttering, takeing Eons to load, and in leagues case (wiich was one of the worst) it will stutter so bad it will drop to 1 fps from having 90 at max graphics now, temps are fine, maxing out @ 70c and the gpu is being used, after 5 minutes of being in match it starts to normalize and it gives me 60-90 fps all the time without the stutter, but it is unplayable for the first 5, and sometimes takes so much to load, as in the loading screen is not doin anything at all that kicks me out of the game

TL;DR
Laptop has greats specs and is performing poorly
Might be the slow ass 1TB 5400RPM hdd
im currently testing with a 60gb SSD to see how it fares and with a 1tb 7200rpm
the laptop works great @ everything else, media consumption and multi tasking (photoshop, youtube, spotify and all the usual crap)|
Cpu isnt capped @ 100% while gaming, maxes out @ 60%
hdd isnt capped at all while gaming
Switchable Graphics are performing as expected (when it works 10% of the time)
Thermals are not a problem, fan is kicking in accordinly to load?
Turbo Boost works perfectly
(ThrottleStop doesnt work)

Ive heard that diferent from nvidia optimus the Video signal from the gpu has to pass through the igpu so the igpu cant be disabled at all and might result in some issues (first time ive read this)
The laptop was 300$, warranty wont be issued by the seller, as "not being able to game" isnt on the "working as intented" part, i can sell it for 400-500 to some designers and illustrator profesionals (people that dont game)
suggestions and Help?

Main PC:| CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1, MOBO: Asus B350 PRIME , RAM: LPX Vengance 2400 16gb kit, GPU: 980Ti Poseidon Platinum 6gb
                PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution 1200w , CASE: HAF 932  HDDs:240gb EX900 HP NVME 6TB (2x3 Seagate Barracuda)
                COOLING: ThermalTake Contac Silent 12
Laptop:MSI GL62 7RD  CPU: Core i5 7300HQ, RAM: 16GB 2400mhz, :GPU GTX 1050 2GB: HDDs: 256gb adata NVME + 1TB HDD

love all brands, will go for whats cheaper for my needs

try the leshcat drivers. http://leshcatlabs.net/  I have an HP dv6 laptop with an i7 and radeon 6770m and HP hadnt updated the drivers in years much less support for windows 10 and AMD doesnt support switchable graphics anymore.  I have been using them for a couple of years with great results.  Sadly the current release is the last he is going to make.    Mine also does the crap where the igpu has to be enabled because it uses it to output the display and games always wanted to use the intel graphics for games.  With the leshcat drivers it works as it should. 

Here is a direct link to the download page.http://leshcatlabs.net/downloads_unfil/ 

Use ddu to remove the old drivers first and reboot.  And to install the drivers there is an exe in the folder that I dont know the name of off the top of my head.  It will open up a cmd prompt that will install the drivers properly.  You can do it manually but it doesnt always work correctly and the amd driver install will fail about 75% of the time. 

6 minutes ago, intender said:

ill give it a shot, i was actually planning to get one of those HP DV6, as they're quite decent even nowdays and quite cheap even for the decked out 6790 version

Main PC:| CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1, MOBO: Asus B350 PRIME , RAM: LPX Vengance 2400 16gb kit, GPU: 980Ti Poseidon Platinum 6gb
                PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution 1200w , CASE: HAF 932  HDDs:240gb EX900 HP NVME 6TB (2x3 Seagate Barracuda)
Laptop:MSI GL62 7RD  CPU: Core i5 7300HQ, RAM: 16GB 2400mhz, :GPU GTX 1050 2GB: HDDs: 256gb adata NVME + 1TB HDD

well i just gave it a shot, and the horrible Stutter issues are gone im going to continue testing it and post more results, honestly, switchable graphics are just terrible, great machines ruined because of them

switchable graphics was nice to have when I got the laptop.  my wife had a laptop that was dying and she wanted something that could last quite a while on battery.  I wanted something I could use to game on from time to time.  with the intel graphics running and everything turned to power saver we could get over 8 hours.  with the amd card running it was doing good to get 3 or 4 hours.  the way hp and most other manufacturers implemented it so that you couldnt turn off the igp was stupid.  not having full  controll over which card was being used was stupid.  abandoning support from all parties after about a year ruined it.