Intel Optane Memory and M.2 NVMe SSD Problem

Internist86

Hi everyone! I recently bought a 16 gb Intel Optane Memory module because I was curious if it would benefit the speed of my HDDs, and for $48.57 it would be a nice upgrade. The problem is, I installed the memory module in my M.2_1 slot and installed the Optane Memory software. I initially got the BSOD after this but after changing the BIOS settings I managed to make it work, but after installing, the program said that my system disk is incompatible with Intel Optane memory. I'm already running Windows 10 on an M.2 NVMe SSD installed in my M.2_2 slot. I know it won't benefit the SSD anymore, but I was hoping I could install this so I could speed up the read/write speeds of my HDDs. I tried searching the net for compatibility issues with the Optane memory module and the NVMe SSDs but couldn't find an answer. Any insight would be of great help. Thanks!

My current setup:
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z270-A
RAM: G-SKill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8)
Processor: Intel Core i5-7500
SSD: ADATA M.2 SSD 256GB
HDDs: 2x2 TB WD HDDs

z270 platforms cant support a nvme and an optane ssd :$ . they both use the 4x lanes from the chipset. 

41 minutes ago, WaterCooledNoob said:

z270 platforms cant support a nvme and an optane ssd :$ . they both use the 4x lanes from the chipset. 

Then why have two slots?  It's definitely possible to run two NVMe drives in RAID.  I don't see why you couldn't use Optane.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

for 2 nvme ssds they will run 2x each . but when you use optane all 4x lanes are used up and second slot is disabled.

2 minutes ago, WaterCooledNoob said:

for 2 nvme ssds they will run 2x each . but when you use optane all 4x lanes are used up and second slot is disabled.

Do you have a source for that?

@Internist86  Optane only works for your boot drive.  You can't use it to speed up other drives.  I recommend you return it.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I dont see the point of using optaine when you have your ssd as your boot drive

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

4 minutes ago, WaterCooledNoob said:

I don't see where that says that there are only 4 lanes.  I'm a little murky on PCIe lanes though anyway.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

I don't see where that says that there are only 4 lanes.  I'm a little murky on PCIe lanes though anyway.

its not pci e it uses the built in 4x lanes used by the chipset (z270) all z270 chipsets has 4x lanes that can be used for several thing nvme/optane/TB3 etc. but when an optane is installed it uses those 4 lanes and directly connects to CPU/RAM . through pci-e is left unused  both nvme slots on motherboard are connected to chipset . you can buy a pci-e to m2 conveter. 

21 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

I dont see the point of using optaine when you have your ssd as your boot drive

I got the Optane because I thought that it can boost the speed of my HDDs, while I also have a fast SSD boot drive. I didn't realize that Optane only speeds up the system drive and not all the drives attached to the PC.

You know, "boot only" part is in FAQ and every review I read about it.
Intel Optane is PCI-e 3.0 x2 device (because of B+M key they use) AND it doesn't support NVMe boot drives.

Optane FAQ : LINK.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64