Strange Performance with my MSI Laptop

About a year ago I purchased by MSI Ghost Pro GS60 with a 970m 3GB and recently I have been having some performance issues with it. I was at a friends house and we were playing GTA V. He was able to run 60 fps medium settings without frame drops just fine. I don't know for sure quite what his specs were on his laptop, but I believe it was an i5 processor with a 950m or 960m. I do know the price of his laptop was $800. I have drivers and I am for sure using 970m while playing. I am playing while charging with my battery at 100%.

I played GTA V on Medium to low settings and here are my results:

Average FPS: 53

Average CPU Temp: 64 Degrees Celsius

Average GPU Temp: 75 Degrees Celsius

Below are images of my GPU LOAD and CPU LOAD while playing. 

GPULOAD.PNG

CPULOAD.PNG

Edit: Just did some research. Some people with my exact laptop can GTA V on very high settings with 60 FPS Solid. Something is not right....

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

6700hq

970M 3GB

16GB Memory

128GB SSD + 1TB 7200RPM

Fans are cleaned

I did a fresh install 4 months ago

Drivers Installed

I am going to try another fresh install

you may be suffering from a bug in windows 10, that bothers me a lot. becausee of it, my cpu will sometimes stay at minimum clock. 

if you open task manager, go to performance, and open a program like a web browser, does the frequency change?

She/Her

20 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

an you post your specs

drivers updated?

fan cleaned? 

did you do a fresh install when you got the laptop? 

Cleaned Fans they were good, but I did a fresh install. Working amazingly now. I did a fresh install 4 months ago so I thought that wasn't the issue. I just did a fresh install and I went from constant lag/shuttering (40-50FPS) to 60 FPS with rare drops down to 52FPS. 

41 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Cleaned Fans they were good, but I did a fresh install. Working amazingly now. I did a fresh install 4 months ago so I thought that wasn't the issue. I just did a fresh install and I went from constant lag/shuttering (40-50FPS) to 60 FPS with rare drops down to 52FPS. 

that's good to hear 

Never mind. After another 10 minutes of playing the performance dropped massively. I believe my temps are under the limit 

5 hours ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Never mind. After another 10 minutes of playing the performance dropped massively. I believe my temps are under the limit 

Clean out the laptop. Check temps with benching software. Here's what you do.

Run OCCT

Run Unigine Heaven maxxed at the same time.

Use HWinfo with two panels, 1 monitoring the CPU, 1 monitoring the GPU. 

Let the benches run for 10 minutes or so and post the screenshot of Hwinfo here.

We can see if it's temps or something is dying in your laptop cause GPUs can fail. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

55 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Run OCCT

Let the benches run for 10 minutes or so and post the screenshot of Hwinfo here.

We can see if it's temps or something is dying in your laptop cause GPUs can fail. 

CPU Usage/GPU Usage or CPU/GPU Clock?

Edit: Never mind found out. 

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

Run OCCT

Don't have screenshots yet, but when my GPU reached 82 degrees Celsius, it downclocked itself to 165MHz from 1037MHz for a couple of seconds

Edit: In 2 minutes it downclocked itself 3 times to 162MHz

Now the CPU is downclocking itself:

I am going to RMA It I think. I have had this issue since I first got it (1 Year), but I thought it was because I was used to a powerful desktop. I keep looking at benchmarks of my laptop that other people have and they are getting perfect performance. 

CPU.jpg

GPU.jpg

On 5/28/2017 at 6:41 PM, CmzPlusHardware said:

About a year ago I purchased by MSI Ghost Pro GS60 with a 970m 3GB and recently I have been having some performance issues with it. I was at a friends house and we were playing GTA V. He was able to run 60 fps medium settings without frame drops just fine. I don't know for sure quite what his specs were on his laptop, but I believe it was an i5 processor with a 950m or 960m. I do know the price of his laptop was $800. I have drivers and I am for sure using 970m while playing. I am playing while charging with my battery at 100%.

you need to update the bios. and the gpu drivers. it's aggressively throttling at a thermal point where it shouldn't be.

this could also be solved by throttlestop by removing thermal limitations all together, but i would recommend you undervolt and repaste your laptop before doing that to lower temps and keep it from burning up.

tl;dr try updating the bios and gpu drivers first. otherwise you can RMA it or go the DIY method (RMA is a safer choice if you still can). 

Laptop Main

11 hours ago, Pendragon said:

you need to update the bios. and the gpu drivers. it's aggressively throttling at a thermal point where it shouldn't be.

this could also be solved by throttlestop by removing thermal limitations all together, but i would recommend you undervolt and repaste your laptop before doing that to lower temps and keep it from burning up.

tl;dr try updating the bios and gpu drivers first. otherwise you can RMA it or go the DIY method (RMA is a safer choice if you still can). 

You are not counting the giant drop to the left correct? That's where I restarted the bench.

I currently don't have access to my main account because of Google Authentication. I am using my school Account. -Cmzplushardware

10 hours ago, Creed17 said:

You are not counting the giant drop to the left correct? That's where I restarted the bench.

your clocks literally drop to like 200mhz on 3 separate occasions. that's weird as fuck. considering temps are consistent. so you know update your bios first.

@D2ultima you've seen this before mate? 

Laptop Main

40 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

your clocks literally drop to like 200mhz on 3 separate occasions. that's weird as fuck. considering temps are consistent. so you know update your bios first.

@D2ultima you've seen this before mate? 

I haven't seen something like that in a long while. Usually it's a Dell problem.

But even so, there's no way a 960M is holding 60fps in GTA V without being on like the lowest settings with a mobile i5 (esp ULV).

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

On 5/30/2017 at 9:32 PM, Snikerdoodlz said:

Are you using the original power adapter?

Yes. I think I am going to do an RMA.

I ran some stress tests and its not meeting the average performance of other laptops (my model)