How to start with game development or designing or animation.

I have interest in learning game designing or development. I know they both are 2 different things but then would like to know which I would like more. If someone could help me get started with it as to what to start with and how to start with it. I really want to learn. If anyone wants to help me please let me know or even if there are any tutorials I can watch. 

Well what have you done yourself already?

These are three widely different things, but to kinda give you an idea..

For development, you need to learn programming.

For designing you need to learn to draw, think of concepts, etc. Sketch a LOT.

For animation you will need to study life and see for example how people walk, act around others and do all kinda stuff. You will also need to learn to 3D model likely (as that is where most of the industry is going now).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 minutes ago, Minibois said:

THIS. Even with programming and development, it can be super helpful to draw things out. Get used to that!

12 minutes ago, Minibois said:

For animation you will need to study life and see for example how people walk, act around others and do all kinda stuff. You will also need to learn to 3D model likely (as that is where most of the industry is going now).

Yes. I study 3D animation, and acting and all that stuff is a big part of it. You can be an animator without having to model/rig (the part where youput bones in your model) though!
There are loads of free rigs out there that can help you practise your skills, like Blake, or Ultimate Bony. Those can be found for free at a site called High End 3D.

If you want to get taken seriously though, I highly suggest getting an animation education. Sure, you can teach yourself, but that'll mean having to reinvent not only the wheel

but the whole car. In America, from what I know, there are specific animation courses, where you learn to ONLY animate, but then again to animate VERY well!

3D modelling is not as hard as it used to be! Get to work using Modo or Zbrush (those 2 I recommend, modo has a really nice toolset that is amazingly flexible, and zbrush is simply the best sculpting package out there, next to 3dcoat of course but that one works on different principles).

There are tons of tutorials online, and if you want to get more serieus, you can buy some great tutorials at sites like Gumroad, or Cubebrush.
If you start sculpting however, I highly recommend drawing as well (digtal AND analogue) because a good drawing hand is half the work,
and I often see similarities between peoples sculpting/drawing styles. It can help you make a unified aesthetic more easily if you choose to do both.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, Minibois said:

Well what have you done yourself already?

These are three widely different things, but to kinda give you an idea..

For development, you need to learn programming.

I know Java, and basic web development languages and Java EE. I am going to learn AE, PP, PS.

4 hours ago, Sasbom said:

THIS. Even with programming and development, it can be super helpful to draw things out. Get used to that!

Yes. I study 3D animation, and acting and all that stuff is a big part of it. You can be an animator without having to model/rig (the part where youput bones in your model) though!
There are loads of free rigs out there that can help you practise your skills, like Blake, or Ultimate Bony. Those can be found for free at a site called High End 3D.

If you want to get taken seriously though, I highly suggest getting an animation education. Sure, you can teach yourself, but that'll mean having to reinvent not only the wheel

but the whole car. In America, from what I know, there are specific animation courses, where you learn to ONLY animate, but then again to animate VERY well!

3D modelling is not as hard as it used to be! Get to work using Modo or Zbrush (those 2 I recommend, modo has a really nice toolset that is amazingly flexible, and zbrush is simply the best sculpting package out there, next to 3dcoat of course but that one works on different principles).

There are tons of tutorials online, and if you want to get more serieus, you can buy some great tutorials at sites like Gumroad, or Cubebrush.
If you start sculpting however, I highly recommend drawing as well (digtal AND analogue) because a good drawing hand is half the work,
and I often see similarities between peoples sculpting/drawing styles. It can help you make a unified aesthetic more easily if you choose to do both.

Good luck!

if so can you tell me what is the first thing that i should do?

1 hour ago, PTSBK said:

I know Java, and basic web development languages and Java EE. I am going to learn AE, PP, PS.

The best thing right now is just getting started, make some stuff! Learn some techniques! Get your stuff out there and ask for critiques and tips! Never stop learning.

BUT! Don't burn yourself out. You are listing a lot of programs, a lot of things to do and you seem very ambitious, but don't overload yourself.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 hours ago, PTSBK said:

if so can you tell me what is the first thing that i should do?

Drawing of course! Drawing is the most important thing. Find out who/what you are and learn tools accordingly.

Just grab a pencil and go sketch something you feel passionate about. If you're over 21 I highly suggest grabbing a beer (preferably one with >8% alcohol).
Sounds weird, but that helped me over the "blank page fear" when I started :P