Astro A50 Headset Review

Watch my FULL REVIEW of the Astro A50 Headset below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsKund1kcig

Let me begin by saying that I have been using this headset every day for the past  two years. It is easily the most comfortable headset I have ever owned. The sound quality is amazing and super clear. Each ear cup contains a sizable piece of very comfortable moderately thick foam that feels like memory foam, doesn’t allow for much sound leakage and does a fairly good job in the noise isolation category.

Now lets talk about the features and what you get when you buy it.  Plaese note that Astro has made some pretty serious upgrades to the A50’s hardware and software since this release so yours may be different.  You can check the link in the description below to get info on the latest upgrades.

The box itself was excellent, very sturdy and well made. Inside the box I  got:

1 Base Station that includes an SPDIF…”SPDIF” optical in and out slot, a USB A slot that charges the headset  and a USB Micro slot that serves to power the device.

1 SPDIF Audio cable

1 USB A to Mini Cable that is 3 feet long. This plugs into the base station and charges the headset. I found this to be a little short for my liking so I went to Staples and bought a 10 ft cord for like 5 bucks.

1 Stand

1 USB A to Micro cable that plugs into the back of your computer and powers the base station.

1 XBox chat cable.

Now lets break away from that and talk features:

As I  said each ear piece is encased in a sizable piece of very comfortable moderately thick foam that feels like memory foam, doesn’t allow for much sound leakage and does a fairly good job in the noise isolation category. The headset supports Dolby Digital 7.1 Surround Sound and I’ll tell you…... IT’S GORGEOUS!. The clarity is so good that I can usually pinpoint where another gamer or enemy is and react long before they can get a clean shot.  

Superb job there, Astro.

The headset itself is fairly large and made of plastic. It sports two metal ‘hinges’ that support the ear pieces and allow for adjustment. There are on ear buttons that allow me to separate game and voice chat and 3 EQ modes.  The headset has a good weight to it but it’s not heavy enough to be  distracting. The flexible plastic piece with foam attached makes the fit sturdy but comfortable. As a matter of fact, I sometimes forget they are on my head.  

The Microphone is an adjustable boom mic that produces a good quality reproduction of your voice and that locks into place and mutes when it’s flipped into an upward position.

Now lets talk about the most important thing to consider when purchasing any Wireless headset: Battery life and wireless range.

In the case of the A50, both are exceptional. As far as the wireless goes,  I consistently get up from my chair and walk across my very large house before I notice any distortion. That’s a  distance of maybe 1500 feet. The battery is good, lasting between 8-10 hours on a single charge. An audible beep is heard every 5 minutes or so when the battery has about 30  minutes of life left. From there, I  plug it in using the included USB cable  and am able to charge the headset and  continue gaming without interruption.

Before I end this I want to talk about RMAing with Astro. About a year ago the USB port on the back of the transmitter came loose. I filed a claim with Astro online, sent them the broken one and within a week, I had a new one in my hands.  No questions asked.

Sources:

I did not use any sources for my review since it is now an older headset but I did post a link to the updated version of the headset. I have reposted that below.

http://www.astrogaming.com/headsets/A...

Thanks for writing this review. However, 1500 feet? I can walk 15 feet away and notice distortion.