Alcohol prep pad?

Cyndre1033
Go to solution Solved by pelark,
Just now, Cyndre1033 said:

With what? Just a paper towel?

If you just touched it I'd get a paper towel or whatever and just wipe off the grease, and if you can't get it off use some isopropyl or another solvent.

So I am in the process of installing my Cryorig H5 cooler, and the instructions say to clean the surface of the CPU with "the alcohol prep pad," which leads me to believe one was included with the cooler. However, I have not been able to find the alcohol prep pad they talk about. I have not touched the surface of my CPU IHS, but I did accidentally touch the bottom of my cooler after I removed the plastic from it. Should I wet a paper towel with a little rubbing alcohol or something, or will I be fine?  I'm not sure if I even have isopropyl right now. 

Thanks!

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

Have you used a cooler before, is there old thermal paste on the CPU?

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

Just now, pelark said:

Have you used a cooler before, is there old thermal paste on the CPU?

CPU is brand new, so is cooler. 

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

CPU is brand new, so is cooler. 

They're both clean? You shouldn't have to clean them unless you made them dirty. Is there preapplied thermal paste on the cooler, or do you have a syringe with it?

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

Just now, pelark said:

They're both clean? You shouldn't have to clean them unless you made them dirty. Is there preapplied thermal paste on the cooler, or do you have a syringe with it?

I will have to use the tube, but they included a tube of it with the cooler. The CPU is clean, it has never been touched, but the base of the CPU cooler has been accidentally touched, so there is a bit of oil on it. 

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

1 minute ago, Cyndre1033 said:

I will have to use the tube, but they included a tube of it with the cooler. The CPU is clean, it has never been touched, but the base of the CPU cooler has been accidentally touched, so there is a bit of oil on it. 

You should be good with just wiping it off as best as you can

Main

Peripherals

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

Just now, pelark said:

You should be good with just wiping it off as best as you can

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

If you just touched it I'd get a paper towel or whatever and just wipe off the grease, and if you can't get it off use some isopropyl or another solvent.

Main

Peripherals

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

Just now, pelark said:

Ok thanks!

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

Ok thanks!

NP

Main

Peripherals

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8