RX 570 not recognized by computer.

kingofthepeg

I decided to upgrade my gpu and psu but for whatever reason nothing is happening when I boot. The card I'm upgrading to is a gigabyte rx 570 gaming 4G. I thought maybe I damaged the pcie slot so I tried a different one but it did not work. I had no problems booting off the onboard graphics of my i5 3570k so I put in an evga 750 ti from a different computer and it booted. I then thought perhaps it was the pcie connectors from my new psu so I installed my old gtx 550ti that I was upgrading and used a 6 pin pcie (the 570 used an 8) and the 550ti. Booted fine. I then tried the 570 in the computer the 750 ti came from and it booted fine. Ive tried the 570 in every pcie slot, with different pcie cables and it just wont boot. Leds and fans seem fine but I have no clue how to troubleshoot this.

Any help or suggestions you could make would be appreciated

Seems like a strange suggestion, but maybe upgrade BIOS.

I don't really have a reason as to why, but it worked for a friend trying to upgrade an old system. it might work for you.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Do you have access to another psu other than the one you're trying to boot the 570 with. If you do try it out with the 570.

3 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Seems like a strange suggestion, but maybe upgrade BIOS.

I don't really have a reason as to why, but it worked for a friend trying to upgrade an old system. it might work for you.

I had the same problem  which was fixed by updating the bios when I upgraded from a GTX 650 to a r9 380 a year an a half ago. Some older motherboards need a bios update to be compatible with newer graphics cards.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try updating the bios and see if that helps.

Update: so I read a bunch of forums about people having similar issues with my mobo and similar mobos and gtx 1060/1070's and some older cards like r9 380's and 390's. Most of the time flashing the bios did fix it but there were a few guys who were stuck. I've flashed the latest stable bios and the latest beta release without any change to the situation. One guy who did manage to solve the problem after bios flash failed didn not pay attention to how he fixed it, just basically mashed stuff in his bios. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed out any hardware issues. I would like to try installing radeon drivers first and see if that does it but unfortunately since my card isn't recognized by the system the crimson software wont install the drivers.

Any other ideas or helpful hints are appreciated. 

System specs are:

Core i5 3570k

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H mobo

Gigabyte RX 570 Gaming 4G

8 GB ripjawsx 1600mhz

Cooler Master G650M psu

7 hours ago, faziten said:

Upgrade your bios, already.

Sorry I guess I didn't specify. I did flash my bios. The latest version is F16 so I updated to that. Then when that didn't work I updated to both of the beta versions, F18i and F18g, neither of which worked. There were also suggestions to switch the PEG Gen3 configuration from auto to Gen3 and disable the onboard graphics, which I also did. I still can't get my card to be picked up on the monitor.