the Pro SSG

tomi832

I didn't really get it...so this card comes with 32 GB Vram and it can utilize up to 1 TB of Ram through an SSD that you have in your system?

13 minutes ago, tomi832 said:

I didn't really get it...so this card comes with 32 GB Vram and it can utilize up to 1 TB of Ram through an SSD that you have in your system?

hmm, seems like they have simply made a way to feed a gpu with massive amounts of VRAM without using a shitload of expensive GDDR or HBM

im sure there is some super funky computational workload that this will benefit.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

46 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

hmm, seems like they have simply made a way to feed a gpu with massive amounts of VRAM without using a shitload of expensive GDDR or HBM

im sure there is some super funky computational workload that this will benefit.

Yup. It completely bypasses having to call the CPU for it to access a large storage pool of ROM meaning it can access huge amounts of data way faster.

It's not 1TB of VRAM, It's 32GB of VRAM and then a 1TB NVMe SSD.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Yup. It completely bypasses having to call the CPU for it to access a large storage pool of ROM meaning it can access huge amounts of data way faster.

It's not 1TB of VRAM, It's 32GB of VRAM and then a 1TB NVMe SSD.

ok thanks :) but technically the 1 TB NVMe SSD is part of its Vram right?

like, they are not the same thing but different parts - but using probably HBCC it can acess the NVMe SSD 1 TB of storage and utilize it as its Vram?

1 minute ago, tomi832 said:

ok thanks :) but technically the 1 TB NVMe SSD is part of its Vram right?

like, they are not the same thing but different parts - but using probably HBCC it can acess the NVMe SSD 1 TB of storage and utilize it as its Vram?

Pretty much yeah. It uses the 32GB of what I assume is HBM2 or something, then it has slower but still direct access to 1TB of speedy NVMe storage.

Ye ole' train

5 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Pretty much yeah. It uses the 32GB of what I assume is HBM2 or something, then it has slower but still direct access to 1TB of speedy NVMe storage.

OK thanks :) and btw, what NVMe? somewhat of connection like M.2 or PCI-E?

8 minutes ago, tomi832 said:

OK thanks :) and btw, what NVMe? somewhat of connection like M.2 or PCI-E?

M.2 is a small version of a standard PCIe 3.0 x4 connector. The connector can be used on both a SATA bus or the PCIe bus, but in this case it's most definitely the PCIe bus.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

M.2 is a small version of a standard PCIe 3.0 x4 connector. The connector can be used on both a SATA bus or the PCIe bus, but in this case it's most definitely the PCIe bus.

ok I've got the first sentence but I didn't get you at the second one.

what did you mean? what's NVMe exactly? and thanks for all the asnwers :)

damn, so does anyone know of an application in which a GPU needs to access over a terabyte of resources ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Just now, DnFx91 said:

damn, so does anyone know of an application in which a GPU needs to access over a terabyte of resources ?

its for creators...just from the 1 minutes Video they uploaded you can understand who this card's meant for.

also, its Pro not RX.

21 minutes ago, tomi832 said:

ok I've got the first sentence but I didn't get you at the second one.

what did you mean? what's NVMe exactly? and thanks for all the asnwers :)

NVMe is a protocol designed for solid state storage. The M.2 connector can be utilised in two ways: either connected via the good ol' SATA bus using the same protocol used by hard drives AHCI (still giving some better performance compared to SATA 3 SSDs because of the higher bandwidth supplied by the M.2 port) or via the new protocol NVMe which was designed for SSDs from the very start thus having waaaaaaay higher read/write speeds.

Read on it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVM_Express

Ye ole' train

6 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

NVMe is a protocol designed for solid state storage. The M.2 connector can be utilised in two ways: either connected via the good ol' SATA bus using the same protocol used by hard drives AHCI (still giving some better performance compared to SATA 3 SSDs because of the higher bandwidth supplied by the M.2 port) or via the new protocol NVMe which was designed for SSDs from the very start thus having waaaaaaay higher read/write speeds.

Read on it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVM_Express

oh ok thanks :)

30 minutes ago, tomi832 said:

its for creators...just from the 1 minutes Video they uploaded you can understand who this card's meant for.

also, its Pro not RX.

got a link to that video mate ?

Home PC:

Work PC:

11 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

I think it's shown on OC3D...  Looks to me like the 1TB is to serve as a 4K frame buffer so I guess this means that LTT will need them for the video editing stations...

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/amd_tease_their_new_radeon_pro_ssg/1

ohhhhhhhhh that's cool i get it now. i was thinking of mad weather simulations or something.

So this let's you basically accelerate your video editing workflow with a badass GPU, and instead of having your source material on "slow" PCIe SSD's, you instead have it all on the exact same kind of flash, but built right into said badass GPU in bucketloads ???

Am i being stupid or does this seem a bit unnecessary ? 

EDIT: 

I was being stupid, don't worry i get it now :P

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, DnFx91 said:

ohhhhhhhhh that's cool i get it now. i was thinking of mad weather simulations or something.

So this let's you basically accelerate your video editing workflow with a badass GPU, and instead of having your source material on "slow" PCIe SSD's, you instead have it all on the exact same kind of flash, but built right into said badass GPU in bucketloads ???

I would say it's completely unnecessary for my everyday life and computer however, I don't own a couple of $100,000 RED 8K cameras to take video with. xD  Hell, I don't even have a 4K TV at home to watch 4K content on so it is completely unnecessary... 

16 hours ago, DnFx91 said:

EDIT: 

I was being stupid, don't worry i get it now :P

16 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

I would say it's completely unnecessary for my everyday life and computer however, I don't own a couple of $100,000 RED 8K cameras to take video with. xD  Hell, I don't even have a 4K TV at home to watch 4K content on so it is completely unnecessary... 

this card is for very heavy and big works like ray-tracing. they showed that without the extra 2 TB it worked with about 17 FPS and with the 2 TB of HBC it performed 90 FPS!

and if I understood it correctly than the card will come with the NVMe storage on itself.

here's a link that explains everything that AMD has said at their FAD

http://wccftech.com/amd-fad-vega-frontier-edition-threadripper-epyc-ryzen-mobile/

the SSG is about in the middle (you'll see the thumbnail of the video AMD has released) but I think that everything there was interesting...so you can read all of it you know xD