Is it really worth overclocking my EVGA GTX 1060 SSC?

Renton577

Just wondering if its even worth it with GPU boost these days to overclock my GTX 1060 SSC from EVGA or if I should leave it at stock.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

see if you can + a few mhz, if not then leave it

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

You can always get some extra performance from a GPU by doing the work yourself, but it's really small gains and more for the tinkering. I noticed my Strix 980 (which is now watercooled) didn't boost over the factory boost no matter what the temp and utilization was, etc. So I OC'd it myself for a solid 5-10 fps gain in most games

3 minutes ago, Renton577 said:

Just wondering if its even worth it with GPU boost these days to overclock my GTX 1060 SSC from EVGA or if I should leave it at stock.

The GTX 10 series has been very good at overclocking but the manufacturers factory overclock them a lot and the highest you could get with a card like yours would be around 80-120mhz. But it is worth it, so go ahead. 

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

There's no risk if you're not touching the voltages.  It just may make your card run a little louder under load.  If you want to push it further with higher voltage I'd do it towards the end of the cards life personally.

I have the SSC too, and out of the box it boosts pretty high, mine goes to 2012 mhz with factory overclock. I havent overclocked at all but I assume like others have said maybe 5 to 10 fps increase

Worth it? Maybe a little. Fun? I think so. I think most people that overclock these days find more joy knowing the absolute best out of the card rather than any actual gaming improvement. 

Depends.

You should be able to get a stable 2050 Mhz Boost, maybe 2100+ depending on the Chip. try it out.

Memory Clock speed should be able to get from 4000 Mhz up to 4500 Mhz (+500 in Afterburner) easy, maybe more maybe less.

Since the GTX 1060 is often Memory bottlenecked (Bandwidth, NOT size), Memory Overclocking scales almost linear.

But what's also worth: Undervolting.

I had a GTX 1060 MSI Gamign X, with a Stock Boost clock of 1936 Mhz~.

I was able to get 1936 Mhz (and +500 Mhz on Vram) stable with only 0.9 Volt (Stock is 1.05 Volt).

Ultra low 0.8 Volt were stable with 1850~ Mhz or something like that (maybe 20 more or less). I could get the Power consumption down to like 85 Watt here ;)

Which i measured out of the Power%.

My whole PC (i7 6700k @ 4.4 Ghz) consumed only 150~ Watt in Rise of the Tomb raider. GPU was at 99% and 35 fps, maxed out).

Compared to 220 Watt, when the GPU was at 1.0430 Volt, 2073 Mhz, and 4500 Mhz Memory.

The dfference in Power consumption came ONLY from the GPU itself.

It seems I'm able to boost it +125Mhz to about 2068Mhz but after temps stabilize it comes to about 2050Mhz, dont know if its worth the performance gain at that point since it already boosted up to like 1984Mhz before, haven't tried the memory overclock yet though.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

Well a few %. Doubt you will really "feel" those 80 Mhz more.

However, Memory you might feel. 4000 --> 4500 Mhz is an increase of 12,5%. Since the Memory Bandwidth bottlenecks fast in modern titles, this alone could give you +10-12% more fps. ^^

11 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Well a few %. Doubt you will really "feel" those 80 Mhz more.

However, Memory you might feel. 4000 --> 4500 Mhz is an increase of 12,5%. Since the Memory Bandwidth bottlenecks fast in modern titles, this alone could give you +10-12% more fps. ^^

I will try that then for sure, is there any drawback to possible artifacts from overclocking? or is it pretty much at a point to where the drivers just stop responding if there are artifacts, it may be weird but visual artifacts really bother me haha.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

Probably artefacts. If you don't get any, and no driver stops, you should be save :P

Not weird at all.. Artefacts should not be a normal state when you OC your ram xD Because they occur because the Ram is not working correct.

Like you working too fast, and breaking everything you touch lol

You want free performance?

And btw, you can max the voltage, as the built in BIOS of the card will put a safe limit on how much voltage you can add anyway, it's not like you can keep adding unlimited voltage.

Always max the power limit % and voltage before overclocking to get the highest clock possible

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

17 hours ago, Renton577 said:

It's free...and you can't really kill your card with how limiting they make GPU Boost...

I did a build for a friend and it had a 1060 FTW...highest I could get was 2050 MHz core clock. I can't recall the VRAM overclock.

For some GPUs, the overclock gain can be staggering...overclocking my 980 Ti makes it beat my 1070 cards. I have two 1070s in my server, and overclocked, the MSI Gaming X runs at 2.1 GHz / the EVGA FTW runs at 2088 MHz. I had to back both 1070s down to 2050 MHz because vray was killing / kicking them off at the higher clock speeds.

8 hours ago, scottyseng said:

It's free...and you can't really kill your card with how limiting they make GPU Boost...

I did a build for a friend and it had a 1060 FTW...highest I could get was 2050 MHz core clock. I can't recall the VRAM overclock.

For some GPUs, the overclock gain can be staggering...overclocking my 980 Ti makes it beat my 1070 cards. I have two 1070s in my server, and overclocked, the MSI Gaming X runs at 2.1 GHz / the EVGA FTW runs at 2088 MHz. I had to back both 1070s down to 2050 MHz because vray was killing / kicking them off at the higher clock speeds.

I got 2050Mhz on the core and 4554Mhz on the VRAM without any voltage tweaking. Thats from 1947Mhz and 4002Mhz.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------