Ryzen 5 build vs i5 build (read the question thoroughly)

1 minute ago, crzyces said:

He is saying you can use your gpu to render. The 1600 still games better than a 7500. Now you can pick'em when it comes to blender, but the CPU is involved, especially in larger projects.

read this.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/render/cycles/gpu_rendering.html

The 1600 is a far better choice. You could go with a 7700k for similar rendering results, but if you are going to be using a 1060 for rendering as opposed to your cpu, don't expect very much (still faster than a 7500 I'd guess, but a 6 hour job for a 10 minute clip, compared to a 30 minute job on a 1600).

I cannot find a good motherboard for Ryzen 5 1600 CPU.

I cannot find a good budget motherboard for Ryzen 5 1600. 

The reviews of this motherboard are not good on newegg and other sites :(

ASUS Prime B350M-A/CSM AM4 AMD B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 HDMI uATX Motherboards - AMD

Just now, Folktale said:

I cannot find a good motherboard for Ryzen 5 1600 CPU.

Where are you from? I hear this all the time, and literally have about 25 to choose from (I look at both 350's and 370's though). Regardless, there are a ton of options in the US.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

Just now, crzyces said:

Where are you from? I hear this all the time, and literally have about 25 to choose from (I look at both 350's and 370's though). Regardless, there are a ton of options in the US.

India.

1 minute ago, Folktale said:

India.

I like the Gigabyte boards, mostly because of the BIOS, but the decent ones in the 350 line are $95+usd, in the 370 line $150 usd, which is a bunch in your currency. inr? Darnit, I should know that off the top of my head.

1 minute ago, crzyces said:

I like the Gigabyte boards, mostly because of the BIOS, but the decent ones in the 350 line are $95+usd, in the 370 line $150 usd, which is a bunch in your currency. inr? Darnit, I should know that off the top of my head.

Now what do yo suggest? Yes, INR. Current rate $1 = Rs. 64.23

Also note that things are costlier here than US and UK.

Just now, Folktale said:

Costly.

$158 and has issues with BIOS.

No, the person writing the first review has a corrupt windows installation or their hard drive is failing. Apparently he does not know what the beeps on the board mean, along with the other symptoms he is experiencing.

Just look at the votes and you got your answer to what CPU is better.

4 minutes ago, crzyces said:

No, the person writing the first review has a corrupt windows installation or their hard drive is failing. Apparently he does not know what the beeps on the board mean, along with the other symptoms he is experiencing.

did you read the cheapest on amazon review? what about the price?

4 minutes ago, Folktale said:

Costly.

$158 and has issues with BIOS.

Lastly, look at the dates on the reviews. Most were before the last two updates (Like the one that dummied down the extra power from sleep mode or startup to make it *jump start* faster. One thing you still need to look out for, at least on ASUS boards, is unplugging and replugging in the PC from the wall (if you move it, whatever) as ASUS' last BIOS update was causing random boards to reset overclocks, causing too much juice to be thrown at the board, and frying them, which is bad. That was written about earlier today actually.

No matter what, you are going to be updating the BIOS for the next few months as various things get ironed out (like higher overclocks as 3.9-4.1 is stupid low for the chip). I can assure you, that if you buy a 7500 you will be kicking yourself though. 4 threads compared to 12, it just makes no sense if you plan to do things regarding rendering, encoding, any kind of creative work, multitasking, streaming, video editing... You really will need the extra threads. 4 threads are on their last leg, hence why Intel is introducing 6 thread i5's soon. If there were a cheaper 8 thread intel competitor I'd suggest it, as I am not a fanboy of AMD or Intel.

4 minutes ago, Folktale said:

did you read the cheapest on amazon review? what about the price?

I was reading the 22 newegg reviews.

1 hour ago, Folktale said:

What if I stick with the same RAM? 2133MHz?

All RAM works at 2133, the issues are with high speed RAM. Even then these issues are not as bad as people like to make out (anything to shit on AMD is pretty meta) for example on my 1700 im at 4GHz using 3000 RAM

Its a no brainer here the unlocked 1600 will win every category including gaming (that i5 is locked) and last far longer in to the future than a 4c/4t i5. Intel shat the bed with kaby lake as they got complacent with their monopoly over the last few years.

16 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

All RAM works at 2133, the issues are with high speed RAM. Even then these issues are not as bad as people like to make out (anything to shit on AMD is pretty meta) for example on my 1700 im at 4GHz using 3000 RAM

Its a no brainer here the unlocked 1600 will win every category including gaming (that i5 is locked) and last far longer in to the future than a 4c/4t i5. Intel shat the bed with kaby lake as they got complacent with their monopoly over the last few years.

Most of the people I have talked to or read their posts who are tech savvy (not experts, just not afraid of tech in general and have an IQ over 90) seem to be able to work through most of their issues. It's rare I hear about RMA's. I read 1 negative review where the person switched his SSD, HD, RAM, optical drive, as his old PC was giving him problems. Now, his PC is beeping 3 times, then a long beep, and shutting off. It's the motherboards fault. He starts his PC and it does not always recognize one of his drives, or his mouse. YouTube does not always work right. Just a hunch, but his boot drive and HD probably had issues before, but he is furious with NewEgg and Gigabyte, as it's their fault. How about a fresh install you dolt.

So many negative reviews like that. Like a BIOS update is going to fix your OS, or dead sectors in an HD.

I find most of the more recent reviews receive 4 or 5 eggs, with things running out of the box well, and the few techies saying they are having no problem oc'ing their 2133-3000, 2400-3200 etc. So, it is obviously getting much better.

Just now, crzyces said:

I find most of the more recent reviews 4 or 5 eggs, with things running out of the box well, and the few techies saying they are having no problem oc'ing their 2133-3000, 2400-3200 etc. So, it is obviously getting much better.

This a million times over - "As an average consumer, you don't need to buy as soon as possible and be on the cutting edge, so don't. Be just behind the cutting edge, and you'll be one hell of a lot safer. " 

idk

6 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

This a million times over - "As an average consumer, you don't need to buy as soon as possible and be on the cutting edge, so don't. Be just behind the cutting edge, and you'll be one hell of a lot safer. " 

He can't afford too. He wants to game well and use blender etc. Not many less expensive Intel options (actually, there aren't any, since the 6 thread 15 isn't out yet, which leaves i7's and used Xeons. To get the gaming out of the Xeons he needs to make a huge price jump. He was talking about upgrading to a locked 7500 or a Ryzen 1600. If it is going to cost the same either way, is there really an argument to be had? Should he spend $200 instead of $250 to jump to a gen old AMD 8 thread? Makes no sense.

Edited by crzyces
EDIT or $250 and not get what he wants?

19 minutes ago, crzyces said:

He can't afford too. He wants to game well and use blender etc. Not many less expensive Intel options (actually, there aren't any, since the 6 thread 15 isn't out yet, which leaves i7's and used Xeons. To get the gaming out of the Xeons he needs to make a huge price jump. He was talking about upgrading to a locked 7500 or a Ryzen 1600. If it is going to cost the same either way, is there really an argument to be had? Should he spend $200 instead of $250 to jump to a gen old AMD 8 thread? Makes no sense.

I think @Droidbot wasn't saying no don't buy ryzen he was saying its safer to buy now a couple months later in as opposed to at launch (march)

Just now, tom_w141 said:

I think @Droidbot was saying no don't buy ryzen he was saying its safer to buy now a couple months in as opposed to at launch

yep, I was saying the release buyers were 'the cutting edge', whereas buying now is behind the cutting edge. 

idk

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

I think @Droidbot wasn't saying no don't buy ryzen he was saying its safer to buy now a couple months in as opposed to at launch

yes, but I cannot wait for a month.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Though if Linus could vote that'd be at least 1 vote for the 7500

there is really no way to contact him. Or Luke. 

Just now, tom_w141 said:

He means now. It has been 2 months so issues have been largely resolved.

Launch march

couple months later = may (now)

I got it. But though easily available in other countries, it is very very limited in India.