Can I update my Windows to a higher version via ISO without data loss?

Afrasiyab
Go to solution Solved by Technous285,

If you're worried about the possibility of losing data during the upgrade process, use a drive imaging/cloning software like P.I.N.G. (Partimage Is Not (Norton)Ghost) to backup your OS drive as it currently exists before applying the upgrade to W10AU (or even W10CU now) so if the upgrade goes wrong and the OS is stuffed you can restore by returning the backed up image of the pre-upgrade OS to the drive (wiping out the corrupted data from the upgrade in the process).

Hello, guys. 

I really want to play Forza Horizon 3, and it requires Windows 10 Anniversary Update installed. My PC did automatically update to the anniversary update but it started to freeze as soon as I go to the desktop. So, I reverted back to Windows 10 Build 1511 (my current version). 

So what I want to ask here is that, If I download an ISO file of the Anniversary Update from the internet and flash it on a bootable USB, will I be able to update to the anniversary update without losing ANY data (not even C drive data)? 

Help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

you shouldn't lose data in an upgrade.  there have been a number of updates since the initial anniversary update, possibly fixing the issues you had before.  If you're really concerned about the data, I would recommend backing it up somewhere.  Even just paying for a month of google drive, dropbox, etc. to back things up during the upgrade.  If money isn't super tight, however, you can get an external hdd for $50-60 on amazon and keep everything backed up at all times.

If you're worried about the possibility of losing data during the upgrade process, use a drive imaging/cloning software like P.I.N.G. (Partimage Is Not (Norton)Ghost) to backup your OS drive as it currently exists before applying the upgrade to W10AU (or even W10CU now) so if the upgrade goes wrong and the OS is stuffed you can restore by returning the backed up image of the pre-upgrade OS to the drive (wiping out the corrupted data from the upgrade in the process).