VPS vs Dedicated Server

Hey guys. I have a little trouble. I am a company president that provides educational services online. My page consists of people flowing in and clicking at least 5pages until they get to the product. Our product consists of people filling out reports online and then printing them for their personal use or saving them on the server which is cloud based as of right now. 

I'm having trouble because current server has php 5.1 which is not recommended and when upgrading it many bugs surface or objects are not recognized by the updated version of php.

Now, I am having this trouble because of money and time since my computer scientist can do the work but has not had the sufficient time. Anyway, this is not the main problem since it has been working fine until right now. But, now we are going to have 10x of usual traffic (e.g. more users, more clicks, more saving, but not uploading). I have been told that I should move the hosting site since it is shared. I need top notch security, upgrading php and the page to react fast. I need to know which server to use VPS or Dedicated for the insurance of functionality and downtime. Should I get the dedicated for a little bit more? Willing to spend up to $150.00 monthly. Where should I look for that kind of server? Who has had the experience with something like this? A tip would be nice.

Thank you guys

JV

Who are you hosting on? Aws?

How much ram/cpu/network are you needing? The big vps should be enough for this use it seens you can. 

Security is normally the same, at least for aws you only buy the dedicated when you know you will need all the power of it. 

@Electronics Wizardy

Hosting on Godaddy

I would like to answer the question about ram cpu and network. Since is just text no images or videos I would think its little ram, cpu and network. But I need to make sure that the upcoming traffic is not going to exploit the bandwith. I think I need 8 gb of ram but I am considering to be sure getting 16gb ram. About CPU idk how much i am using but since it is just text I guess is a small amount. What concerns me about VPS it is that is shared. But you can correct me if I am wrong.  

Thank you!!

JV

6 minutes ago, JV5185 said:

@Electronics Wizardy

Hosting on Godaddy

I would like to answer the question about ram cpu and network. Since is just text no images or videos I would think its little ram, cpu and network. But I need to make sure that the upcoming traffic is not going to exploit the bandwith. I think I need 8 gb of ram but I am considering to be sure getting 16gb ram. About CPU idk how much i am using but since it is just text I guess is a small amount. What concerns me about VPS it is that is shared. But you can correct me if I am wrong.  

Thank you!!

JV

It is shared on one server but depending on how it's setup, you are always getting the full power of what your paying for. Since your only hosting text, you should be fine. Id look at the cpu ram and network usage of the vps when you test the load and see if you can get it too high. 

20 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It is shared on one server but depending on how it's setup, you are always getting the full power of what your paying for. Since your only hosting text, you should be fine. Id look at the cpu ram and network usage of the vps when you test the load and see if you can get it too high. 

Thanks I will take this as a task for my guy. 

2 hours ago, JV5185 said:

Thanks @AdamsTech looking into it.

I can vouch for OVH, they have topkek DDoS protection also. The OVH VPS plans should be way more than enough for hosting a website and keeping it online. They also give you unlimited data for every server.

After you've set it up, make sure to setup cloudflare for added DDoS protection.

check contabo services cheap with unlimited bandwidth and great space and hosting capacity 

Amazon Web Services might help, look into them as their pricing is pretty fair and you only pay for what you configure and use.  Plus I'm pretty sure they have technicians and designers to provide assistant if you need it.  (However I'm not sure about the last part.) 

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

Guys thanks a lot for you advices. I will surely look into all of them and see what best suits us.

It sounds like you will need to find a fully managed hosting provider that also includes a control panel since your post leads me to believe you and your employees are not ready to jump straight into a CLI at this moment.

For your needs a VPS would be your best option since it would be the provider's responsibility to handle any network and hardware issues as soon as they occur instead of you opening a ticket asking for assistance and them helping you when they get around to it unless you find a company with a good SLA. Depending on your budget and your location there are quite a few VPS providers that offer fully managed support and a control panel.

LiquidWeb and KnownHost are two that I've used in the past (many many years ago) but are still around today and among the largest hosting providers that own their own hardware and provide fully managed services with the cPanel control panel you're using now with GoDaddy. They are expensive compared to other hosts, but if you're not ready to manage a server yourself and your company relies on uptime and performance then I'd take a look at both of them.

Both OVH and AWS are good platforms, but neither of them are fully managed so you will need to handle the installation, setup, management, updating, and other administration duties yourself which it seems will be hard with the lack of time available for you. Not to mention if something breaks, you might be stuck hiring somebody else to fix it since OVH's support is notorious for being slow for clients not living in France and AWS usually only supports hardware and network issues, not OS and software issues.

-KuJoe

I use Vultr, I haven't had any major issues. I think a VPS would allow you to scale easier vs having dedicated hardware.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc