How can screen tearing be prevented?

IAR117

Can screen tearing be eliminated by getting more fps than the monitor can output? If this is a way of eliminating it, then surely I can just turn down my refresh rate to 100hz and get 110fps in game. Also, no I'm not going to even consider G-Sync considering the ridiculous prices.

Just now, Cela1 said:

What graphics card do you have?

A GTX 1070, so can't go for freesync and fastsync isn't very well supported

2 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

Can screen tearing be eliminated by getting more fps than the monitor can output? If this is a way of eliminating it, then surely I can just turn down my refresh rate to 100hz and get 110fps in game. Also, no I'm not going to even consider G-Sync considering the ridiculous prices.

Get a freesync monitor and a AMD GPU. Freesync is not expensive. It is literally free. $100 freesync monitor no? 

Or just use V-SYNC

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, IAR117 said:

A GTX 1070

V-SYNC

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

Get a freesync monitor and a AMD GPU. Freesync is not expensive. It is literally free. $100 freesync monitor no? 

Or just use V-SYNC

V-Sync=input lag and yeah I've got a 1070

1 minute ago, Cela1 said:

Go into the Nvidia control panel (right click on desktop) and enable 'fast' vertical sync, like this:EG.jpg

What is the input lag like as opposed to "regular" V Sync?

Just now, IAR117 said:

What is the input lag like as opposed to "regular" V Sync?

I find it to be minimal (certainly less than normal), but some people say they notice it easily. It is something you would have to try for yourself IMO.

Just now, Cela1 said:

I find it to be minimal (certainly less than normal), but some people say they notice it easily. It is something you would have to try for yourself IMO.

Ok. Only issue is that I have only an 5yr old monitor as I've been primarily using a laptop for a few years. Will it work with this or will it work with anything? Have to be sure because I'd have to buy an adapter due to older connections on the monitor

1 minute ago, IAR117 said:

Ok. Only issue is that I have only an 5yr old monitor as I've been primarily using a laptop for a few years. Will it work with this or will it work with anything? Have to be sure because I'd have to buy an adapter due to older connections on the monitor

It's a software thing (unlike G-sync) so works in theory with any monitor.

10 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

Basically will my idea work or not?

no that is not how it works. Because will it even if u are getting like 110 fps. If there is a slight delay or a fram decided to jump in early u will still get tearing. 

Build

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

no that is not how it works. Because will it even if u are getting like 110 fps. If there is a slight delay or a fram decided to jump in early u will still get tearing. 

So Vsync, Fastsync and Freesync are the only ways to eliminate screen tearing, as well as that thing Cela said about the control panel

2 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

So Vsync, Fastsync and Freesync are the only ways to eliminate screen tearing, as well as that thing Cela said about the control panel

yes

Build

Spoiler

Just now, Cela1 said:

As a follow up answer: 

I've watched part of it, might as well finish it off

Vertical Sync, and keep your fps above your refresh rate. That's it. In most games, the added input Lag is just fine, especially if you only have a 60 Hz Monitor.

If you play games where you hit at least double your Refresh rate (for example, 120~ fps on a 60 Hz Monitor), then you can use Fast Sync.

Because that's how fast sync works. it's not effective if you have not at least double the fps. Makes no sense using fast sync if you only get 70 fps~

Or you just sell your 1070 and get a Vega and a Freesync monitor.

Or you just get a G-Sync Monitor. If you have 400-500 bucks for a GPU that might last only 3-4 years max, you will have 400-500 bucks for a G-Sync monuitor that might last 5-10 years^^

Without G-Sync you WILL have a compromise somewhere.

Gsync. I've got a freesync/amd combo and it doesn't even compare to the smoothness of gsync to me. Most everyone I asked that I've had use both likes gsync better without knowing which cost more.