Custom Pcie cable

Perrichicken

Hey all,

So a while ago I bought a custom 8 pin pcie cable for my evga 1080 sc,

however for the life of me it just wont go in the slots, the default cable that came with it fits perfectly and runs perfectly but the custom cable wont.

I even took it to a pc store where I bought it from and they had no idea, it fit perfectly into their gpus, and both the cable and my gpu do not have any bent pins.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this would be?

I am from australia and I bought the gpu from amazon so maybe because it is a US product it has a different pin output? aside from that I have no idea.

It like goes in the slots then gets stuck half way and just wont go in any further. 

and the GPU they tested it on is the exact same model as yours? same brand and everything? 

they aren't always interchangeable. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

16 minutes ago, Perrichicken said:

Snip

pictures. we need to be able to see this problem to really offer any solid advice

12 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

and the GPU they tested it on is the exact same model as yours? same brand and everything? 

they aren't always interchangeable. 

different gpu, but arent all 8 pin pcie the same? Like i have never seen a custom sleeved cable specifically for an evga gpu

1 minute ago, Perrichicken said:

different gpu, but arent all 8 pin pcie the same? Like i have never seen a custom sleeved cable specifically for an evga gpu

take your GPU to the shop that made the sleeving and show them, then compare to what they used. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Just now, VioDuskar said:

take your GPU to the shop that made the sleeving and show them, then compare to what they used. 

I took my gpu to the store that sold me my cable and they had no idea why it wasnt working

2 minutes ago, Perrichicken said:

so far as I know, almost all GPU's are pinned the same and have the same connectors for this very reason... that being said there are proprietary connectors that some manufacturers use (such as in prebuilt all-in-one PC's) where things can be a bit different... but that doesn't sound like the issue here.

25 minutes ago, Perrichicken said:

It like goes in the slots then gets stuck half way and just wont go in any further. 

So it sounds like its the correct connector at least if its sliding at least part of the way in... and you said it works in other GPU's soooooo here is my guess.

If i had to wager a guess without being able to see it in person, it sounds like some kind of manufacturing intolerance. they are all made to a standard (so far as I know) but even with advanced manufacturing methods, things can only be so precise. Could be that your port on your GPU is just slightly smaller than the "standard" size, and the plug was made just slightly larger than the "standard" size. could be causing issues and binding when trying to fit it into too small a port.

but again, its tough to say without actually seeing the issue.

for grins, with the PC off, remove the 8-pin EPS plug and see if the problem cable fits that connector on the motherboard. someone might have used the wrong connector on your GPU harness is what i suspect.

5 minutes ago, airdeano said:

for grins, with the PC off, remove the 8-pin EPS plug and see if the problem cable fits that connector on the motherboard. someone might have used the wrong connector on your GPU harness is what i suspect.

tis good advice. i thought that at first too, but after hearing that he tested it in other GPU's I kinda self ruled it out....... but still a good troubleshooting method :)

6 hours ago, airdeano said:

I dont know what any of this means but I bought both the gpu and custom cable brand new

6 hours ago, Zyndo said:

So it sounds like its the correct connector at least if its sliding at least part of the way in... and you said it works in other GPU's soooooo here is my guess.

If i had to wager a guess without being able to see it in person, it sounds like some kind of manufacturing intolerance. they are all made to a standard (so far as I know) but even with advanced manufacturing methods, things can only be so precise. Could be that your port on your GPU is just slightly smaller than the "standard" size, and the plug was made just slightly larger than the "standard" size. could be causing issues and binding when trying to fit it into too small a port.

but again, its tough to say without actually seeing the issue.

yeah could be, the cable that plugs into it is exactly the same as the custom cable as far as I can see

1 minute ago, Perrichicken said:

I dont know what any of this means but I bought both the gpu and custom cable brand new

what he means is that there is another kind of 8 pin connector that looks nearly identical to the 8 pin PCIe GPU connector, but this connector is the 8 pin EPS connection (the CPU power pin, usually located in the upper left of a motherboard). if you're not looking closely, they look the same, but they are keyed differently. so if this custom cable fits into your motherboard's CPU power connector (EPS) then you are never going to get it to fit into your GPU because they are not the same plugs.

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

what he means is that there is another kind of 8 pin connector that looks nearly identical to the 8 pin PCIe GPU connector, but this connector is the 8 pin EPS connection (the CPU power pin, usually located in the upper left of a motherboard). if you're not looking closely, they look the same, but they are keyed differently. so if this custom cable fits into your motherboard's CPU power connector (EPS) then you are never going to get it to fit into your GPU because they are not the same plugs.

oh yeah they tried the EPS at the store and it didnt work