Ubuntu Unity is Dead - Will switch back to GNOME in 2018

[source]

Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth explained the move in a blog post Wednesday. "I’m writing to let you know that we will end our investment in Unity8, the phone and convergence shell," he wrote. "We will shift our default Ubuntu desktop back to GNOME for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS," which will ship in April 2018.

Finally!

After years of working on their own fork of the gnome shell, Canonical has finally put Unity to rest.

The team cited fragmentation and poor development of their phone/tablet convergence efforts, the team has decided to move back to GNOME.

The last time Ubuntu used GNOME by default was in 2010.

I loved using Ubuntu way back in the day (the first version I used was 8.04 in 2008), but ended up switching to other linux distros after they made Unity the default and shifted their focus to related efforts.

It seems that they're finally moving to help unify the linux ecosystem once again.

Frankly, I'm super excited!

Heavily dated mac heathen who likes keeping up-to-date on PC stuff. - Currently multibooting macOS Sierra / Windows 7 Pro / KALI Linux (Rolling)

so rip lubuntu now that Ubuntu uses something less resource demanding for the desktop?

I don't know shit about Linux, please proceed to roast me.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

10 minutes ago, themctipers said:

so rip lubuntu now that Ubuntu uses something less resource demanding for the desktop?

Gnome is still resource intensive and LXDE is just plain simple, more inline for Windows to Ubuntu refugees

Lubuntu plans to switch to LXQt sometime, but not with 17.04

16 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I don't know shit about Linux, please proceed to roast me.

Lubuntu was officially recognised as a formal member of the Ubuntu family in May 2011 (after 11.04), using LXDE in-lieu of Unity & GNOME, though it was October 2008 that LXDE was first made available for Ubuntu (starting with 8.10) but for 8.10 through 9.10 LXDE had to be installed after regular Ubuntu was to replace GNOME.

22 minutes ago, seangibbz said:

[source]

Finally!

After years of working on their own fork of the gnome shell, Canonical has finally put Unity to rest.

The team cited fragmentation and poor development of their phone/tablet convergence efforts, the team has decided to move back to GNOME.

The last time Ubuntu used GNOME by default was in 2010.

I loved using Ubuntu way back in the day (the first version I used was 8.04 in 2008), but ended up switching to other linux distros after they made Unity the default and shifted their focus to related efforts.

It seems that they're finally moving to help unify the linux ecosystem once again.

Frankly, I'm super excited!

To say that dropping one environment for another one into what is a hopelessly fragmented ecosystem,  I fail to see what might tempt me to install a Linux distro again....

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

1 minute ago, killcomic said:

To say that dropping one environment for another one into what is a hopelessly fragmented ecosystem,  I fail to see what might tempt me to install a Linux distro again....

GNOME has more development than Unity as it's more commonly used across other distros (Debian, Fedora, etc).

Rather than doing their own thing, they're working to benefit the linux ecosystem as a whole with this move.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but I do like this move and the central focus on GNOME should help improve development in the long term as there will be more collaboration between devs.

Heavily dated mac heathen who likes keeping up-to-date on PC stuff. - Currently multibooting macOS Sierra / Windows 7 Pro / KALI Linux (Rolling)

Just now, Technous285 said:

They're dropping a shell that they made (Unity) and going BACK to what they were using prior (GNOME) to making said shell...

So that's one less shell out of how many?

They are simply dropping something people hated (I was indifferent to it) and went back to something that worked.  Hardly a move to unify the Linux desktop ecosystem. 

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

I kinda liked Unity :( 

GNOME is alright but I had preference for Unity. So I guess, well idk. No real reason to want to continue using Ubuntu after 18.04 I guess. Not that I currently use it, but I was going to. It's a good thing there's other options I guess. Ironically those other options use GNOME. Played around with Cinnamon in Debian a bit before. That's alright. Huh, idk. I did like Unity though. Was a pretty good DE.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

16 minutes ago, killcomic said:

So that's one less shell out of how many?

They are simply dropping something people hated (I was indifferent to it) and went back to something that worked.  Hardly a move to unify the Linux desktop ecosystem. 

Some liked it, for some it made the whole experience a bit easier. 

GNOME is a moderate clusterfuck of a DE. But it's not terrible. For first time users, it's probably going to pose more of a challenge since GNOME has some weird organization stuff.

I like GNOME, but I like Unity more. Neither are perfect. But Ubuntu and Unity is a good pair, I can get GNOME basically anywhere else technically you can get unity too but I do believe Ubuntu is the only major distro that uses that DE since it was made by the devs of Ubuntu. What makes Ubuntu unique any more? Sure the packages and the canonical stuff. But  idk, I disagree with the move. That's the only thing I dont really like about a lot of those people who really like linux and use it basically exclusively is that they're well kinda rigid I guess. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization