RAM with different CAS Latency Timing

Go to solution Solved by tgrmst,
Just now, legacy99 said:

Well that is a different story. You should buy the exact same kit that you already have. You likely will have issues with using 2 separate kits with different timings. 

Exact same it is. Thank you :) Sorry for the multiple confusions.

I have 2x8GB RAM with 18 CAS at the moment. I can get a decent deal on another 2x8GB RAM with 14 CAS at a slightly cheaper price than the 2x8GB 18 CAS model.

Does it hurt/help to get the 14 CAS?

Just now, tgrmst said:

I have 2x8GB RAM with 18 CAS at the moment. I can get a decent deal on another 2x8GB RAM with 14 CAS at a slightly cheaper price than the 2x8GB 18 CAS model.

Does it hurt/help to get the 14 CAS?

It depends on whether the original kit can run at a different timing.

if they are rated for the same frequency but different timings, I doubt they can both do the same frequency and timings as the CAS14. You should be able to get them all to wrk together at some standard (say, 2133 CAS 15).

General rule of thumb I follow when buying ram is highest possible speeds with lowest possible CAS. So if your 14 CAS is a 2133mhz kit while the 18 case is say a 3600mhz kit, the 3600mhz kit will actually end up being faster in the end.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Ah forgive me, I forgot to mention they are both DDR4 3200, so frequency is the same. Timing is not.

2 minutes ago, tgrmst said:

Ah forgive me, I forgot to mention they are both DDR4 3200, so frequency is the same. Timing is not.

Then get the 14 CAS, they will be faster. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Then get the 14 CAS, they will be faster. 

I thought he was trying to use both kits together ^_^

if it's about which one to pick, then it's a no-brainer!

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yea, he just wanted to know which kit to buy. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Actually I am going to use it together. I have CAS 18 already. Just wondering if I should get CAS 14 or would it hurt since it isn't CAS 18 as well.

Just now, tgrmst said:

Actually I am going to use it together. I have CAS 18 already. Just wondering if I should get CAS 14 or would it hurt since it isn't CAS 18 as well.

Well that is a different story. You should buy the exact same kit that you already have. You likely will have issues with using 2 separate kits with different timings. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Reading it he has the c18 already. He'll be mixing times. If anything it will just run at the slower timings.

Just now, legacy99 said:

5 minutes ago, tgrmst said:

this all good. I was confused at first as I thought you were choosing between which kit to buy for your rig not realizing you had 1 kit already. I didnt read your OP well enough. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig