Video Series Idea - Windows Maintenance

7hr08ik

Hey guys,

Well I have been doing this myself for a while, but I thought it would make a great contribution to the channel.

"Windows Maintenance - An in-depth look"

So, I think a series would work best, 6 videos, 5 devoted to individual programmes, and 1 roundup.

TAke, glary, avg tuneup, iobit, etc etc. And take them for a spin for a while. I have used a few over they years and found some to be great and others to be overboard nonsense. But to have the LTT crew go through them, give us Pros, Cons, of each. The reason to, or not to, use one. Best practices etc.

Plush for the people that just don't know. A comparison of different products, free and paid, could be very helpful. I myself would love to know what and why some of the options inside iobit exist. Why is glary so damn good, and why not just leave it to windows to do for you? Can you just use ccleaner every now and then? Should I automate cleaning?

IM thinking something in a similar style to how Linus does his phone reviews. But in a series with a full roundup at the end.

A Small series devoted to informing people about the pros and cons of system maintenance programs sounds bad? I don't see how.

44 minutes ago, 7hr08ik said:

A Small series devoted to informing people about the pros and cons of system maintenance programs sounds bad? I don't see how.

It's just not a something that a lot of people would watch, and since it's only one video a day I think the only place would be 1 video for all programs and then tech quickie or something, because it would otherwise take away from other videos

Yeah I was just thinking that over the years I have used a few. I've used some that seem to make the PC worse, some that don't alot, and thought it would be a good subject. But with so many around you'd need a bit of in-depth view. Look at why the exist.what they do, if it's worth cleaning your registry, automating temp file file removal, boot time defragging, and automatic regedits.

There's alot of them, and is it worth getting an all-in-one suite? Or is best to get one per function? Would need something like linus's phone reviews where they use one for a week and give it a review. Or a rundown of the programs and their functions.

I.e Do use defrag, DON'T use iobit system tweaks etc

I've always associated "tune up" softwares to essentially be the same as snake oil as well as just selling you features that are built-in windows. Often causing more damage than they claim to "fix", especially if you use multiple such "tune-up" softwares, messing up your registry.

Generally, tools like Ccleaner are plenty for most people, for clearing junk and removing unneeded startup item.

I wouldn't mind seeing Linus make a video on them though, to know if they are actually useful or not.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Giving 30 seconds of thought, there's a couple ways you could approach this type of topic if you were so inclined. You could image a drive after you've given it viruses, bloatware, thrown toolbars on it and deleted random stuff, etc... as a platform for testing various software. Compare it with normal best-practice steps or doing basic maintenance to include in the comparison.