Advice on air flow on this case?

KTsarlz

So I have this case, its a local brand here in my country.. 

16508847_1842622622628170_7188796961529097150_n.jpg.d5856d35bdcc115973643fd0efa60b1a.jpg

Then this is how I arranged my fans it has 2 in front 2 in the ceiling and 1 rear

16115051_1832535620303537_5227846820844567833_n.jpg.7a15b1b5b17a864ddd217109465d4e6d.jpg

So.. temps are okay on idle, and in my room it's quite hot because summer is kinda coming, when playing games, such as watchdogs2, when the side panel is closed, I get almost 70 degree celcius which is hot, my card is XFX RX 480 GTR Black, all stock settings. But when I remove the side panel, temps usually go around 60 degree.

Question is, is this normal? Or I got my fan airflow setup wrong? I just got this card a few days ago so I'm still tinkering with temps and such. 

--- Also, this isn't my own setup or rig, this came from the local retailer

3 minutes ago, KTsarlz said:

So I have this case, its a local brand here in my country.. 

16508847_1842622622628170_7188796961529097150_n.jpg.d5856d35bdcc115973643fd0efa60b1a.jpg

Then this is how I arranged my fans it has 2 in front 2 in the ceiling and 1 rear

16115051_1832535620303537_5227846820844567833_n.jpg.7a15b1b5b17a864ddd217109465d4e6d.jpg

So.. temps are okay on idle, and in my room it's quite hot because summer is kinda coming, when playing games, such as watchdogs2, when the side panel is closed, I get almost 70 degree celcius which is hot, my card is XFX RX 480 GTR Black, all stock settings. But when I remove the side panel, temps usually go around 60 degree.

Question is, is this normal? Or I got my fan airflow setup wrong? I just got this card a few days ago so I'm still tinkering with temps and such. 

remove 1 top fan because they might be pulling the air out of the case before it can get across to the gpu otherwise your drive bay is also blocking some airflow if installed.

I would just remove one top fan you want positive or equal air pressure

otherwise you might need different fans but that's probably not the case

First PC Build

CPU: i5 4690k  (4.7Ghz 1.36v)                                        MOBO: MSI z97 gaming 5

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming x                  Case: NZXT s340 elite Black/Red

Storage: 1tb seagate SSHD, 240gb PNY ssd                    PSU: Corsair RM750X

Cooling:H100i V2 / Bequiet Fans

16GB Hyper X Fury Memory

Benched on CPUZ (Single-thread=2140) (Multi-Thread=8316)

Fire Strike 1.1=13660

Time Spy=5519

Cinebench R15 (CPU= 509cb) (OpenGL=118.28 FPS)

Unigine (Superposition 4k optimized=5581) (Heaven Extreme=120.6 FPS Score:3038) (Valley Extreme HD= 92.7 FPS Score:3879)

1 minute ago, jet224presents said:

remove 1 top fan because they might be pulling the air out of the case before it can get across to the gpu otherwise your drive bay is also blocking some airflow if installed.

I would just remove one top fan you want positive or equal air pressure

otherwise you might need different fans but that's probably not the case

My card is quite long, I have a mini itx board. I dont have drive bays too, the first image is my actual case, the second one is just a reference for what i followed with the fan setup

70 degrees is not too much. you can always adjust the fan curve if you dont like it. 

I'd personally have the front fans spinning bit faster than the top and back fans

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

Just now, Alesek said:

70 degrees is not too much. you can always adjust the fan curve if you dont like it. 

I'd personally have the front fans spinning bit faster than the top and back fans

Nice to hear that! How much is hot? This is my first card so I don't know that much yet, I came from a GT430 so no games back then. Unfortunately, these fans run on stock speeds as my mobo doesnt support such feature.

2 minutes ago, KTsarlz said:

Nice to hear that! How much is hot? This is my first card so I don't know that much yet, I came from a GT430 so no games back then. Unfortunately, these fans run on stock speeds as my mobo doesnt support such feature.

under 80 is great and getting a bit above 80 sometimes is also fine. your mobo has one case fan header so if you would put a splitter in it, you can control all your fans. But it is not really necessary temp-wise as you are probably going on 100% atm. Only if you wanna make it quiter in idle

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

2 minutes ago, Alesek said:

under 80 is great and getting a bit above 80 sometimes is also fine. your mobo has one case fan header so if you would put a splitter in it, you can control all your fans. But it is not really necessary temp-wise as you are probably going on 100% atm. Only if you wanna make it quiter in idle

I guess I was just being paranoid. Since the 70 degree when I touched my case, it was hot as hell. I will try to look into that splitter, I was not aware of that before. 

I removed side panel including the front one. GPU temp came down to 35! Maybe my fan isn't that powerful

Just now, KTsarlz said:

I guess I was just being paranoid. Since the 70 degree when I touched my case, it was hot as hell. I will try to look into that splitter, I was not aware of that before. 

I removed side panel including the front one. GPU temp came down to 35! Maybe my fan isn't that powerful

i doubt you have 35C in load. something else had to change than just removing the side panel

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

Just now, Alesek said:

i doubt you have 35C in load. something else had to change than just removing the side panel

Hmn. Right now I am not gaming, just doing work related stuff, coding and many chrome tabs so gpu isn't that stressed. I'll try to open watchdogs 2 with this 

1 minute ago, KTsarlz said:

Hmn. Right now I am not gaming, just doing work related stuff, coding and many chrome tabs so gpu isn't that stressed. I'll try to open watchdogs 2 with this 

then was it 70C when you weren't gaming?

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

You want one top mounted fan towards the back, and you want a rear mounted fan. Use both intake fans on the front so that you have airflow coming in. You will want to have the fans balanced in terms of speed, with the exhaust fans being faster if you are not happy with your temps. This will help create a lower pressure area near the back of the case that should help pull hot air away from the GPU and towards the exhaust.

To be honest though your temps are not only fine, but perfectly normal. I have the exact same GPU in my system and it behaves in a similar manner. 70*C is not a problem temperature, it's when it starts to exceed 80*C that you should worry.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

21 minutes ago, Alesek said:

then was it 70C when you weren't gaming?

It was 70 when gaming, and gpu fan at 40%.. I had them untouched

8 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

You want one top mounted fan towards the back, and you want a rear mounted fan. Use both intake fans on the front so that you have airflow coming in. You will want to have the fans balanced in terms of speed, with the exhaust fans being faster if you are not happy with your temps. This will help create a lower pressure area near the back of the case that should help pull hot air away from the GPU and towards the exhaust.

To be honest though your temps are not only fine, but perfectly normal. I have the exact same GPU in my system and it behaves in a similar manner. 70*C is not a problem temperature, it's when it starts to exceed 80*C that you should worry.

Hmn. I only have 1 for rear, 2 for top and 2 for front. The airflow image was just reference for the flow, the upper one is the actual design of the case. So you also have the gtr black? What does the bios switch does?

just dont worry about it, the temps are perfect. if you wanna improve anything, you can invest couple euros for the fan splitter (or a fan controller) and use speedfan to control your fans for more balanced airflow. but as I said, the temps are perfect right now and there is no need to change anything

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

10 minutes ago, KTsarlz said:

It was 70 when gaming, and gpu fan at 40%.. I had them untouched

Hmn. I only have 1 for rear, 2 for top and 2 for front. The airflow image was just reference for the flow, the upper one is the actual design of the case. So you also have the gtr black? What does the bios switch does?

With airflow it is difficult to make a huge difference in temps. No matter what you do, you should only expect a maximum of 5*C difference of what you are getting now (though it may change depending on the fans you have and the quality of them). Taking out the forward top fan will help a bit because it will not be pulling air away from the GPU before it gets a chance to use it. By having the low pressure area at the back and rear of the case allows the most amount of airflow from the front intakes to pass by the GPU on its way to the low pressure area. The single biggest change to GPU temps can be made by adding a bottom mounted fan blowing fresh air straight up at the GPU, however since your case has a basement, that's not an option.

Again, those temps are normal for your scenario.

The BIOS switch causes instability, the last time I switched it the system didn't boot and it took me a half an hour to get it to boot again.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

1 hour ago, Alesek said:

just dont worry about it, the temps are perfect. if you wanna improve anything, you can invest couple euros for the fan splitter (or a fan controller) and use speedfan to control your fans for more balanced airflow. but as I said, the temps are perfect right now and there is no need to change anything

Thanks a lot man!

1 hour ago, DragonTamer1 said:

With airflow it is difficult to make a huge difference in temps. No matter what you do, you should only expect a maximum of 5*C difference of what you are getting now (though it may change depending on the fans you have and the quality of them). Taking out the forward top fan will help a bit because it will not be pulling air away from the GPU before it gets a chance to use it. By having the low pressure area at the back and rear of the case allows the most amount of airflow from the front intakes to pass by the GPU on its way to the low pressure area. The single biggest change to GPU temps can be made by adding a bottom mounted fan blowing fresh air straight up at the GPU, however since your case has a basement, that's not an option.

Again, those temps are normal for your scenario.

The BIOS switch causes instability, the last time I switched it the system didn't boot and it took me a half an hour to get it to boot again.

Sure! This is duly noted. I'm new in this thing so thank you for explaining by detail. So I shouldn't touch the switch then. I'll leave mine on right which is the default when I got it