Is it Possible to make a VPS at Home

ive seen websites before selling VPS'S but is it possible to make my own VPS at my house and can i get DDOSed

Yes. You can make a "VPS" with software like VirtualBox/XenServer/Proxmox. You can indeed get DDoS'd, which is why I wouldn't necessarily recommend running a 'public' server off your home connection with no DDoS protection.

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

These 3 are the most used "VPS software" afaik

Xen

Openvz

Kvm

And if its only for personal usage (not making money by renting vps' to people)

Vsphere hypervisor

With the DDoS, why would someone want to DDoS you? Just stay nice, no trolling and stop making enemies on the internet ;-)

The thread was moved to the Server section

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, pmos said:

These 3 are the most used "VPS software" afaik

Xen

Openvz

Kvm

And if its only for personal usage (not making money by renting vps' to people)

Vsphere hypervisor

With the DDoS, why would someone want to DDoS you? Just stay nice, no trolling and stop making enemies on the internet ;-)

thnxs

It is not a good idea to host a VPS server for public use 24/7 at your house, even though it sure is possible. You simply don't benefit from it, renting a server is a lot cheaper. If it is for personal use (like NAS or something similar) or just as a test environment you can consider it, but for everything else I would use a hosting service.

17 hours ago, CptCarbonat said:

It is not a good idea to host a VPS server for public use 24/7 at your house, even though it sure is possible. You simply don't benefit from it, renting a server is a lot cheaper. If it is for personal use (like NAS or something similar) or just as a test environment you can consider it, but for everything else I would use a hosting service.

It shouldn't be an issue to host something at home like a website, fileserver or just to have access to a linux machine over SSH/Mosh, isolated from home machines however. But no, renting a VPS can be pretty cheap, and a good alternative if you don't need it to be local. I personally use a RaspberryPi as a server at home that i can connect to remotely. :-)