Hard disk combining

Hai, 

I have an old system which is of pentium(3.00ghz), 2gb ram, geforce 210, and a IDE hard disk. It's now running windows 7 ultimate  and works well. I have another IDE hard disk can I add this hard drive to my system for extra storage becoz 1st one is only 160gb  and i wish to add this 40gb to it,  how can do this is there any need to setup RAID-0 if so how to do the hardware connection and BIOS configuration?        If it is 2 SATA hard disk how can I do this?   does combining hard drives make system run slow ?

if i connect the 2 nd hard disk to my other IDE port/ SATA port is it enough for my pc to configure it (does any type of bios config have to be done?)     like will show on my computer as new disk volume ?

raid 0 = striping data

you probably don't want that..

you would want to add the drives together (fill disk 1 first, then fill disk 2, and so on)

it won't make it run slow (theoretially), but i've never tried it

disk management -> extend volume

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, PrithviRV said:

Hai, 

I have an old system which is of pentium(3.00ghz), 2gb ram, geforce 210, and a IDE hard disk. It's now running windows 7 ultimate  and works well. I have another IDE hard disk can I add this hard drive to my system for extra storage becoz 1st one is only 160gb  and i wish to add this 40gb to it,  how can do this is there any need to setup RAID-0 if so how to do the hardware connection and BIOS configuration?        If it is 2 SATA hard disk how can I do this?   does combining hard drives make system run slow ?

You probably don't want to do this. Just add the other drive to your system and be done with it. This not only has higher stability than Raid0, but the other problem is that your mobo may not support it.

Edit: Don't use software RAID. If your windows screws up you lose all your data.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

If you want to make two of different capacities drives into one drive of the combined capacity, the best (and only) way is probably JBOD.  I don't know if your board supports it.  I don't see why not though since it is much simpler than raid.

20 minutes ago, xentropa said:

If you want to make two of different capacities drives into one drive of the combined capacity, the best (and only) way is probably JBOD.  I don't know if your board supports it.  I don't see why not though since it is much simpler than raid.

How to do JBOD?

29 minutes ago, themctipers said:

raid 0 = striping data

you probably don't want that..

you would want to add the drives together (fill disk 1 first, then fill disk 2, and so on)

it won't make it run slow (theoretially), but i've never tried it

disk management -> extend volume

thks

28 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

You probably don't want to do this. Just add the other drive to your system and be done with it. This not only has higher stability than Raid0, but the other problem is that your mobo may not support it.

Edit: Don't use software RAID. If your windows screws up you lose all your data.

thks