HP omen 32 or the LG 27UD58-B?

HP Omen 32 or LG 27UD58-B?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better for gaming/video editing?

• HP Omen 32
    • LG 27UD58-B

Hey there everyone :)

So after doing quite a lot of research, I came up with these two monitors. I'm upgrading from a 1080p TN panel because 1)I've a new PC now and 2) the monitor is literally 8+ years old.

I'm planning to buy a high-end GPU. Possibly a vega one when they come out or a 1080(ti).

I'll be using the monitor mainly for general purpose (like word, YouTube, that kind of stuff), for gaming and some video editing that I'll have to do for my study.

I'm a bit tied up between the two because I like the bigger screen of the omen 32, but the LG one is 4k, has 10-bit (I dont know how beneficial this will be for me) and has FreeSync aswell.

I'm generally looking for a good, minimally 27" inch monitor that allows me to do the stuff I need to do.

Can you guys help me decide? I would appreciate that a lot :)

Thanks in advance everyone :) 

EDIT: I dont know if it's important to say, but I have an i7-6700k

2ND EDIT: Just to make clear, the video editing I need to do is for my study, which is Journalism. I'm not an artist in the sense of that i care about every single shade of a colour.

The Omen is more a gaming model and the LG one is a workstation mostly focused on colour reproduction.

Quite different and depends on what you want.

I would go for the Omen though as that offers higher FPS and 75Hz with freesync.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

1 minute ago, Arcanekitten said:

The Omen is more a gaming model and the LG one is a workstation mostly focused on colour reproduction.

Quite different and depends on what you want.

Hmm, but if I get the LG one, does that mean that i'll have very good colours in games too?

The Omen 32 has FreeSync, too.

If you get the Omen 32, you'll need to have an AMD GPU in order to run it above 60 hz without frame-skipping. I have one, and it's a great monitor for the price, but I'm going to sell my GTX 1070 and get a Vega GPU just so I can use FreeSync and run the monitor at 75 hz.

Also, I don't know whether the Omen 32 officially has 10-bit support (I'm not sure what that is), but I can select it in the Nvidia control panel, and I'm using my monitor with that setting without issue.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, McPatsy said:

Hmm, but if I get the LG one, does that mean that i'll have very good colours in games too?

its color accuracy. that doesn't mean the colors are going to magically look better they will just be more accurate to what the game creators wanted. 

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

The Omen 32 has FreeSync, too.

If you get the Omen 32, you'll need to have an AMD GPU in order to run it above 60 hz without frame-skipping. I have one, and it's a great monitor for the price, but I'm going to sell my GTX 1070 and get a Vega GPU just so I can use FreeSync and run the monitor at 75 hz.

Also, I don't know whether the Omen 32 officially has 10-bit support (I'm not sure what that is), but I can select it in the Nvidia control panel.

is the monitor "bad" without FreeSync? or do you just want to get everything out of it?

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

its color accuracy. that doesn't mean the colors are going to magically look better they will just be more accurate to what the game creators wanted. 

Hmm. but in the end, it doesn't matter that much if you dont care about it right?

Just now, McPatsy said:

is the monitor "bad" without FreeSync? or do you just want to get everything out of it?

FreeSync doesn't improve image fidelity, but it improves the display timing of frames, so that there's no screen-tearing, and the sequencing of image frames appears a lot more smooth.

Without FreeSync it's just like normal monitors have been for the past many years. But being able to use FreeSync will make the picture a lot smoother. So will being able to use 75 hz instead of 60.

If gaming experience is important to you, I think that 1440p 75 hz will be more satisfying that 4K @ 60 hz.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Just now, McPatsy said:

Hmm. but in the end, it doesn't matter that much if you dont care about it right?

yeah its more for photo editing and content creation because that way when you create something it doesn't end up looking way different then when you were working on it on you monitor because the color was off on your monitor. 

Also, the Omen 32 is a large monitor. If you sit with your face right up to the screen, it'll be a bit too big, IMO. I sit a couple feet away from my monitor, so it's good for me.

FreeSync doesn't improve image fidelity, but it improves the display timing of frames, so that there's no screen-tearing, and the sequencing of image frames appears a lot more smooth.

Without FreeSync it's just like normal monitors have been for the past many years. But being able to use FreeSync will make the picture a lot smoother. So will being able to use 75 hz instead of 60.

If gaming experience is important to you, I think that 1440p 75 hz will be more satisfying that 4K @ 60 hz.

Okay, I believe you. I never actually tried anything higher than 60 Hz, is 75 that much better? Thanks for answering btw, you're a great help :)

Also, the Omen 32 is a large monitor. If you sit with your face right up to the screen, it'll be a bit too big, IMO. I sit a couple feet away from my monitor, so it's good for me.

I sit like 70 cm away from my monitor, will the omen be too big for that?

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

yeah its more for photo editing and content creation because that way when you create something it doesn't end up looking way different then when you were working on it on you monitor because the color was off on your monitor. 

Okay, thanks for teaching me new things :) 

5 minutes ago, McPatsy said:

Okay, I believe you. I never actually tried anything higher than 60 Hz, is 75 that much better? Thanks for answering btw, you're a great help :)

75 hz is way better. 60 hz seems halfway towards being a blurry slideshow in comparison. I wish the Omen 32 did at least 80 hz, but 75 is a big improvement over 60.

4 minutes ago, McPatsy said:

I sit like 70 cm away from my monitor, will the omen be too big for that?

That's over 2 feet away, so that's fine.

One other thing to think about is that you'll need a much more powerful GPU with the 4K monitor, to run games at 4K. Even a GTX 1080 Ti will struggle to get 60 FPS at 4K in some games. So, where it concerns gaming, it's sort of a choice between 4K @ med-high settings, 60 FPS, or, 1440P at max settings, 75 FPS.

Just now, McPatsy said:

the difference isnt really about the extra 15hz but rather the fact that the refresh-rate of you monitor will be synchronized with the output of your frames from your gpu meaning that the overall gaming experience will be much smoother in general. the problem that occurs when the refresh-rate of your monitor and the output of frames of your gpu is out of sync you will experience screen tearing. 

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

75 hz is way better. 60 hz seems halfway towards being a blurry slideshow in comparison. 

That's over 2 feet away, so that's fine.

One other thing to think about is that you'll need a much more powerful GPU with the 4K monitor, to run games at 4K. Even a GTX 1080 Ti will struggle to get 60 FPS at 4K in some games. So, where it concerns gaming, it's sort of a choice between 4K @ med-high settings, 60 FPS, or, 1440P at max settings, 75 FPS.

aah, so I dont neccesairly have to buy a 1080ti for the omen to run smoothly at max resolution, that's nice. I also never really tried 4k. Is it much better than 1440p on a 32 inch screen? because if it isnt, than i dont have much reasons to buy the LG one.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

the difference isnt really about the extra 15hz but rather the fact that the refresh-rate of you monitor will be synchronized with the output of your frames from your gpu meaning that the overall gaming experience will be much smoother in general. the problem that occurs when the refresh-rate of your monitor and the output of frames of your gpu is out of sync you will experience screen tearing. 

maybe a stupid question, but what if I have a FPS of say, 800. will that resemble what freesync is like?

Just now, McPatsy said:

maybe a stupid question, but what if I have a FPS of say, 800. will that resemble what freesync is like?

if you had 800fps it wouldn't really matter unless you had a monitor that could output that many frames per second and the highest refresh-rate monitor that i know of is a 240hz monitor which would really only be able to output 240fps. 

5 minutes ago, McPatsy said:

aah, so I dont neccesairly have to buy a 1080ti for the omen to run smoothly at max resolution, that's nice. I also never really tried 4k. Is it much better than 1440p on a 32 inch screen? because if it isnt, than i dont have much reasons to buy the LG one.

At 32", 4K would make a bit of a difference, though, IMO, the 75 hz of the Omen 32 makes a much bigger improvement than the 4K of the LG. At 27", 4K isn't that much different than 1440p, IMO.

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

the difference isnt really about the extra 15hz but rather the fact that the refresh-rate of you monitor will be synchronized with the output of your frames from your gpu meaning that the overall gaming experience will be much smoother in general.

Without FreeSync enabled, 75 hz actually makes a very big difference from 60 hz.

At 32", 4K would make a bit of a difference, though I think the 75 hz of the Omen 32 makes a bigger improvement than the 4K of the LG. At 27", 4K isn't that much different than 1440p, IMO.

Without FreeSync enabled, 75 hz actually makes a very big difference from 60 hz.

Okay. In that case, I think I'll be going for the omen 32 :) Thanks for answering, you (and brooksie) were a great help.

At 32", 4K would make a bit of a difference, though I think the 75 hz of the Omen 32 makes a bigger improvement than the 4K of the LG. At 27", 4K isn't that much different than 1440p, IMO.

maybe for you. i don't really tell the difference when playing at around that fps on a 144hz monitor. 

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried overclocking this monitor? I currently have a 1080P TN panel but I found this monitor for sale on facebook for $150 so it seems like a good deal. I have an Nvidia GPU.