Adding additional SSD to my rig.

GirthZilla
Go to solution Solved by Slottr,

Add a folder on the new drive for your steam games, then in steam add that drive location as another steam library

Long story short I ran out of space on my samsung 512GB ssd. I went out and bought another ssd in hopes of expanding my storage. I don't fully understand how it works but i assumed that if I plugged it in and my computer recognizes it all would work seamless as in stuff would just download to the second drive as soon as the first was full. Where my issue comes in is Arma 3 has a 10GB update and i cant update it because there's not enough storage however i have 500GB free on my other drive. Is there away around this where i move my game to the other drive or do I have to change something in my bios. I just basically just want all new data to download straight to the new drive, idk if got the setup wrong. Do i need to set up a raid? Idk Anything helps!

Ps. there is already one file that looks to be a game i never play on the second drive so i know the drive works 

- drives are just setup in simple layout

-FILE SYSTEM (NTFS)

8 minutes ago, GirthZilla said:

Long story short I ran out of space on my samsung 512GB ssd. I went out and bought another ssd in hopes of expanding my storage. I don't fully understand how it works but i assumed that if I plugged it in and my computer recognizes it all would work seamless as in stuff would just download to the second drive as soon as the first was full. Where my issue comes in is Arma 3 has a 10GB update and i cant update it because there's not enough storage however i have 500GB free on my other drive. Is there away around this where i move my game to the other drive or do I have to change something in my bios. I just basically just want all new data to download straight to the new drive, idk if got the setup wrong. Do i need to set up a raid? Idk Anything helps!

Ps. there is already one file that looks to be a game i never play on the second drive so i know the drive works 

- drives are just setup in simple layout

-FILE SYSTEM (NTFS)

You need to move Arma to the other drive

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Add a folder on the new drive for your steam games, then in steam add that drive location as another steam library

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

SSD drives which become full, become slower. It's recomended that you don't fill up your SSD's above 70%. There is an technical explanation, google can tell you.

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

SSD drives which become full, become slower. It's recomended that you don't fill up your SSD's above 70%. There is an technical explanation, google can tell you.

I'd like to hear this.

100% full is slower, but AFAIK anything under 99% is fine.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

if you want, you can set up a software RAID 0, which combines both your drives into what looks like one 1TB SSD. however, keep in mind that if one SSD fails, all data is lost on both drives.

alternatively, just move the game over to the empty SSD

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

So steam says i cant move it because i have an update I'm going to try moving some other games