Ryzen 7 1700x Review

Big Head Tech

So I will abide by the ToS and not link my YT review or my site, but that can be found in my profile.  Without further a do, this is my review of my Ryzen 7 1700x

Performance

It is by far the best overall performing chip that I have personally tested.  But I am not gauging just gaming performance but multitasking, adobe premiere, multigaming and streaming.  I have never used a processor that is so well balanced that it can perform all of these tasks to 80-90% as good as any other products out there in the same pricing category.  For 1440p the gaming is good enough and only lag behinds 9-15% in worst case scenarios but in multithreaded games it pulls far ahead.  Compared to my previous 4790k, adobe is rendering more than twice as quickly (my review video took 6 minutes to compress and export vs 16 minutes of a similar size video).  

The truth

No one expected this chip to actually beat the single threaded king in raw gaming performance when these games are literally developed around 7th gen core processors with a heavy focus on single threaded performance.  But AMD didn't actually say their chip would do that either.  AMD wanted to deliver a strong powerful chip that could satisfy people like myself (smaller content creators), that also like to game, multitask and stream.  I personally would gladly give up a bit of raw gaming performance for what I have gained with this chip even if I didn't expect that.

The Cons

Being an early adopter of the chip I've ran into many problems.  But of course I expected to have issues and anyone who didn't shouldn't of pre-ordered one.  The newest bios update for my x370 Pro board by Asus has a serious voltage issue where it spikes randomly and won't power down at idle.  This causes idle temps to be at 50*C, luckily load temps top out around 70*C.  Also, the Hyper 212 Evo only goes one way and blocks memory slot #1.  Speaking of memory, we know that some of the performance issues is because going past 2133MHz is difficult and has been addressed and hopefully fixed in the near future.

Conclusion

If you are in the market for a new chip between $300-400, my advice is to wait.  There are some serious issues with the platform that need to be addressed first.  Once these issues are resolved, it really depends on what your end goal is.  If you literally only play World of Warcraft or Arma 3, go with a 7700k.  If you do anything where multithreaded performance would make a difference or you game above 1080p, I would say the Ryzen chip is bar NONE the way to go once the issues are figured out.

i game at 1440p as well, so Ryzen and Intel i7 chips are almost neck-and-neck. when you have a GPU like a 1070 and a 1440p monitor i will play at 1440p, not sure why i would drop to 1080p unless it's a competitive game where i need 100+ fps. 

were you able to overclock? 

Just now, Technicolors said:

i game at 1440p as well, so Ryzen and Intel i7 chips are almost neck-and-neck. when you have a GPU like a 1070 and a 1440p monitor i will play at 1440p, not sure why i would drop to 1080p unless it's a competitive game where i need 100+ fps. 

were you able to overclock? 

Not going to yet.  I am going to buy a Kraken x31 and try to OC it once the Bios updates and voltage/memory is fixed.  My Hyper 212 Evo probably won't handle much.