I am trying to wipe data off a mac and restore to factory settings.  When I booted to recovery and selected Re-install, to reinstall os Sierra, it did the job, but it was still password protected from the previous user.  If I go to disk utility and wipe the drive, and then reinstall, will that work? or will that prevent me from using the computer?

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

what password? Firmware? Account? FIrewalt?

You can't easily reset firmware passwords. Go to a apple store.

You can easily reset accont passwords in single user mod

Firevalt is reset with a reinstall.

14 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

I am trying to wipe data off a mac and restore to factory settings.  When I booted to recovery and selected Re-install, to reinstall os Sierra, it did the job, but it was still password protected from the previous user.  If I go to disk utility and wipe the drive, and then reinstall, will that work? or will that prevent me from using the computer?

On the disk utility wipe, if you see two partitions with one much larger than the other, you probably have a disk image of the OS that you can use to reinstall it.

Otherwise I'd just take it to an Apple store.

37 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

When you boot to recovery, and open disk utility you should see two partitions; the main one and the recovery partition. You can format the main partition (taking care to use the correct filesystem), then reinstall MacOS on it.

You should also make an install drive, instructions are here;

http://www.imore.com/how-create-bootable-installer-macos-sierra

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

• 3 weeks later...

If it is just a account password this link may help, LINK.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?