Windows 7 on Kaby Lake - crash at disk.sys

drhousedk

Hi,

First of all: This is not a "let's discuss if Kaby Lake is supported by Windows 7" thread. I'm just looking for help, and it's been proven plenty of times that Win 7 will work on Kaby Lake, just with a few tweaks. MSI even offers a Windows 7 download for IGP graphics drivers, for Kaby Lake systems, so even they acknowledge that it should be possible.

MSI Z270 Tomahawk Arctic with i7-7700K processor. Got the Win7 USB media created with MSIs own tool, and installed Windows. After setup reboots for the first time, Win 7 boot crashes. "Safe mode" reveals that it crashes at disk.sys.

Any hints as to what to try?

Troels

is the boot configured as Legeacy/CSM mode?

are you booting off a HDD or SSD?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Hi,

It's set to Legacy.

The BIOS has a "Windows 7" mode, which is set to enabled.

I'm trying to install on a M2 NVMe drive. Detects fine in setup, and installs - it's at first boot from SSD that the boot fails.

Tried loading the Samsung NVMe driver during install, now Windows boots. Now I'm just missing out on USB3.0 functionality... Interesting! :)

10 minutes ago, drhousedk said:

Tried loading the Samsung NVMe driver during install, now Windows boots. Now I'm just missing out on USB3.0 functionality... Interesting! :)

Hey, it's a 7 year old operating system - I couldn't even get it to boot on the NEC USB3 controller in my old laptop. 

One would expect that it's not built for NVMe to be supported well either.

idk

Downloaded all Win7 drivers for that motherboard from MSIs homepage, extracted them on a regular SSD. Worked fine - installed all the drivers and Windows 7 is now running smoothly!

That is right, it is just a matter of getting drivers as they are not natively supported by Windows. The same applies to any other issue you might encounter, related to hardware or hardware features that don't work.

On 2/24/2017 at 10:17 AM, drhousedk said:

16930700_604364913082444_699874530_o.png

On 2/24/2017 at 1:51 AM, JimSmith1962 said:

Win 7 i5-7600K.JPG

Could you guys direct me to a guide on how to install w7 from USB on a z270 mobo (no ODD)? Or post your procedure? I'm assembling a new pc and i don't want to go to w10. I have my old w7 installation and i downloaded a fresh new w7 ISO just in case, i extracted my product key from the bios (oem windows). From what i've seen drivers are the main issue because w7 doesn't natively support USB 3 so i have to preload them or something? I'm not at the point of install yet, just preparing in advance when i get there, wouldn't want to spend whole day in frustration