Microphone Frequency Attenuation?

j.dirona

Hey so here is my scenario, I have a blue yeti microphone on a boom arm with a shock mount to reduce vibration. I also have a cherry MX Blue keyboard. I find it inconvenient to use push to talk during many situations (a lot of working on documents and reports for school) but it would be a pain for people I'm in voice calls with to have to listen to the click clack of my typing. 

What I'm looking for is some way to attenuate only the frequency range that my keyboard produces (similar to how you can adjust frequency levels for output). Anybody know of software or anything else that could do this? I would rather not have to build a hardware attenuation device (would probably do it with arduino or something)

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

It's pretty similar to vocal frequencies so it would also mess up your voice.

Buy an MX silent keyboard, or a red/brown and add o-rings.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I am like a broken record with this, so here is it for one more time - you have condenser microphone and it will pick up lots of surrounding sounds, especially MX blue style keyboard. You can use noise gate (even software one) and set up it's threshold in a way that while typing the other side will not hear anything and while speaking they will hear you (and your typing if you are typing at the same time). 

Regarding Arduino - it is a great thingy for lots of things but in this particular case you would be unable to do anything with it. It is not DSP or similar thing which you can be used for audio processing. Arduino is just too slow for that kind of task. Unless you want to sound like s**t.

Where's the boom arm located? Take a pic of your setup and toss it here.

I find half of these issues can be fixed by adjusting the physical locations of things like the mic, keyboard, etc and then adjusting the gain levels of the mic.

Or maybe just don't type so darn hard :D

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

On 2/21/2017 at 2:06 AM, j.dirona said:

I also have a cherry MX Blue keyboard.

On 2/21/2017 at 2:06 AM, j.dirona said:

I find it inconvenient to use push to talk 

Not trying to be a dick, but you should look into getting o-rings and trying that, or a different keyboard entirely if you find it inconvenient to use PTT. MX Blues are freaking loud so the burden of dealing with it is on you - a condenser mic as said previously by someone else is going to pick up just about everything within the vicinity of the mic placement.

I don't see you being able to target that specific noise through software and only allow your voice through and it actually work.

2 hours ago, AAJoe said:

Or maybe just don't type so darn hard :D

You'd be typing as slow as Christmas in order to not make any noise (if you even can) on an MX Blue keyboard. :P