Desktop downstairs... TV upstairs... Play?

Squanchy

Hello all,

I'm trying to be able to play my desktop which is downstairs... to play upstairs in the bedroom on the TV.

I'm trying to see how it might be possible, the only ways I've come across is either Streaming(Nvidia shield, steam link etc) I have a Nvidia shield, and tried steam's In-Home stream which works good, just the gritty image that it gives off makes it not appealing to me(60mbps download). And the other way is to grab a HDMI, and a USB Extension cable and run those threw the house too the TV. The distance needed for the wires is about 40ft total.. I'd get a 50ft just for some extra slack.

My question is, What do you guys think the best way to achieve this? I'm thinking on getting a 50ft ACTIVE USB extension, and a 50ft HDMI cord and running those too the TV/USB hub upstairs, and get myself a Roccat Sova.

Or does someone have any other ideas?

Any Opinions would be awesome! Thanks!

...Sorry if this isn't the right sub section.

So Im assuming that you want to game both sitting at the desk as well as at the tv?

I would say go with the really long cables, they may add a tiny bit of input lag, but I wouldn't think too much, and far less than a wireless option.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Well im not sure,

I once bought this thing for a tv where i could stream my directv genie from my upstairs to my tv outside but two things are wrong with this...

I dont remember the brand name of the company that makes this cool product, and not sure if it works for pc. 

However try googleing it, it might work!

5 minutes ago, Moress said:

So Im assuming that you want to game both sitting at the desk as well as at the tv?

I would say go with the really long cables, they may add a tiny bit of input lag, but I wouldn't think too much, and far less than a wireless option.

Correct, I'd like the luxury of playing on the desktop downstairs and just going upstairs too the bedroom and play the same desktop. The input lag I could probably bare as i play more rpg's/mmos...  Just wanted some other opinions, making sure this idea is not too far fetched lol

10 hours ago, Atreyix said:

Correct, I'd like the luxury of playing on the desktop downstairs and just going upstairs too the bedroom and play the same desktop. The input lag I could probably bare as i play more rpg's/mmos...  Just wanted some other opinions, making sure this idea is not too far fetched lol

Nope, this would work fine. Linus actually has a video on something like this.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

your internet speed doesnt impact at all a stream in house, your router might be the bottleneck if you see bad picture, i got a shield and image is perfect

maybe a dedicated router with no internet for your tv and shield can solve your problem

56 minutes ago, pat182 said:

your internet speed doesnt impact at all a stream in house, your router might be the bottleneck if you see bad picture, i got a shield and image is perfect

maybe a dedicated router with no internet for your tv and shield can solve your problem

Completely derpd, yeah my Internet doesn't matter haha sorry. Hmm that might be worth a try tho, a separate router. 

My image quality is good when I'm still, but when I move my character in any game the pic gets a little gritty, specially in the distance.

The cheapest HDMI cable I'd go for would be this deal from Monoprice.

Normally I'd say just grab a Chromecast and be off to the races, but the input latency and picture quality for this application really isn't that great.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 hours ago, Atreyix said:

Completely derpd, yeah my Internet doesn't matter haha sorry. Hmm that might be worth a try tho, a separate router. 

My image quality is good when I'm still, but when I move my character in any game the pic gets a little gritty, specially in the distance.

check your bandwith setting on gamestream shield, set it to manual and put it to max