Erratic behaviour after overclock

Go to solution Solved by LiamPaddick,

Another update. Seems to have been fixed with a new motherboard. Tried replacing every other part and replacing the motherboard is the only thing that made any difference. It's now working properly again aside from the SSD. 

System

CPU: fx 8320 

RAM: 12gb corsair vengeance

GPU: rx480 4gb sapphire nitro 

SSD: toshiba q300 240gb

hdd: toshiba 1tb 2.5"

PSU: corsair cs650m 

I recently over clocked my amd fx 8320 to 4.4GHz. This was achieved through a multiplier of 22(might be off by a little bit, I can check if it's important to know the exact number.) and I upped the voltage by 0.150. 

I got it to 4.2 with no issues and without changing the voltage. so I tried upping it to 4.4 without changing the voltage and it blue screened within a minute running AIDA64. I then upped the voltage by 0.075 and it ran for 4/5 minutes before blue screening.

However after upping the voltage to the value specified above the system ran for 3 hours on AIDA64 without crashing so I presumed everything was fine. 

Just to to add some context to his next part... programs such as google chrome would regularly crash and my SSD was getting slower booting. 

Over a a few days of having my PC overclocked I received two BSOD with error codes linking to corrupted data. I decided to format my SSD and reinstall windows after backing up to my secondary hard drive.

the SSD is now unusable, windows installer detects it but can't add a volume to it (tried using disk part in the installer) and it can't find a volume on the drive at all.

However, I've accepted that the SSD has kicked the bucket and I'll be getting a new one from the warranty but what I'm having an issue with is that after installing windows on a new mechanical hard drive and resetting voltages and clock speeds back to default my pc is incredibly slow and at times becomes unresponsive. A recurring situation is if I try to alt tab from portal 2 to anything my pc will display a black screen and won't take any input. It'll just sit there until I hard reboot the PC and then it'll go back into its sluggish state.

another thing to note which may or may not be a factor is my GPU. I noticed there is a bios switch on my Rx 480 4gb and after googling I discovered this was for performance or quiet mode. Since it wasn't labelled which was which I turned the pc off and moved the bios switch then turned it back on, the clock speed went down to 1266 rather than the factory overclocked 1306. I turned the pc off, flipped the bios switch back and turned it back on and the clock speeds were still 1266. I haven't been able to recover the stock speeds through the bios. So if anyone can help with this as well I'd appreciate it.  

Sorry for the length of this, I just wanted to put all the info I could. 

Thanks to to anyone that can help. 

4 minutes ago, LiamPaddick said:

System

CPU: fx 8320 

RAM: 12gb corsair vengeance

GPU: rx480 4gb sapphire nitro 

SSD: toshiba q300 240gb

hdd: toshiba 1tb 2.5"

PSU: corsair cs650m 

I recently over clocked my amd fx 8320 to 4.4GHz. This was achieved through a multiplier of 22(might be off by a little bit, I can check if it's important to know the exact number.) and I upped the voltage by 0.150. 

I got it to 4.2 with no issues and without changing the voltage. so I tried upping it to 4.4 without changing the voltage and it blue screened within a minute running AIDA64. I then upped the voltage by 0.075 and it ran for 4/5 minutes before blue screening.

However after upping the voltage to the value specified above the system ran for 3 hours on AIDA64 without crashing so I presumed everything was fine. 

Just to to add some context to his next part... programs such as google chrome would regularly crash and my SSD was getting slower booting. 

Over a a few days of having my PC overclocked I received two BSOD with error codes linking to corrupted data. I decided to format my SSD and reinstall windows after backing up to my secondary hard drive.

the SSD is now unusable, windows installer detects it but can't add a volume to it (tried using disk part in the installer) and it can't find a volume on the drive at all.

However, I've accepted that the SSD has kicked the bucket and I'll be getting a new one from the warranty but what I'm having an issue with is that after installing windows on a new mechanical hard drive and resetting voltages and clock speeds back to default my pc is incredibly slow and at times becomes unresponsive. A recurring situation is if I try to alt tab from portal 2 to anything my pc will display a black screen and won't take any input. It'll just sit there until I hard reboot the PC and then it'll go back into its sluggish state.

another thing to note which may or may not be a factor is my GPU. I noticed there is a bios switch on my Rx 480 4gb and after googling I discovered this was for performance or quiet mode. Since it wasn't labelled which was which I turned the pc off and moved the bios switch then turned it back on, the clock speed went down to 1266 rather than the factory overclocked 1306. I turned the pc off, flipped the bios switch back and turned it back on and the clock speeds were still 1266. I haven't been able to recover the stock speeds through the bios. So if anyone can help with this as well I'd appreciate it.  

Sorry for the length of this, I just wanted to put all the info I could. 

Thanks to to anyone that can help. 

Have you tried doing a fresh install of Windows and setting your whole system to default clocks?

7 hours ago, Firecheetah13 said:

Have you tried doing a fresh install of Windows and setting your whole system to default clocks?

Yeah I've done that, I thought I mentioned it in the short novel above but sorry if I missed it! ?

Just as an update. Swapped out my 12gb of ram for a single 8gb stick and that didn't help at all. 

Another update. Seems to have been fixed with a new motherboard. Tried replacing every other part and replacing the motherboard is the only thing that made any difference. It's now working properly again aside from the SSD.