Game/File-Server Need help with part selection

Hello out there :D

I need help with the selection of parts for a server.

What it should do on a daily basis:

• The server should host a file server(smb) for basic files probably using Debian with samba. (Main use is for document share and backup important documents for a small buisness)
  • Storage: I thought about 4TB in Raid 10
  • A media server which can stream 1920x1080 to for about 4 Users.
  • A Ts3 server for about 10 Users

Optional or not always running:

• A garrys mod server for about 10 Users
  • Maybe a heavily modded minecraft server (about 200Mods) = more RAM
  • Some viedeo encoding and redering

I am not that experienced when it comes to selecting hardware. Above is just a possible setup. I just want to get a basic idea. Also Id like to keep it under 600€ if possible.

Help would be much appreciated ;)

zottel

23 minutes ago, zottelsheep said:

Hello out there :D

I need help with the selection of parts for a server.

What it should do on a daily basis:

• The server should host a file server(smb) for basic files probably using Debian with samba. (Main use is for document share and backup important documents for a small buisness)
  • Storage: I thought about 4TB in Raid 10
  • A media server which can stream 1920x1080 to for about 4 Users.
  • A Ts3 server for about 10 Users

Optional or not always running:

• A garrys mod server for about 10 Users
  • Maybe a heavily modded minecraft server (about 200Mods) = more RAM
  • Some viedeo encoding and redering

I am not that experienced when it comes to selecting hardware. Above is just a possible setup. I just want to get a basic idea. Also Id like to keep it under 600€ if possible.

Help would be much appreciated ;)

zottel

that would make a beast nas with a raid card on it maybe?

Some things you should consider could be, do you really need raid 10? from what you've listed the extra speed you would get over something like raid 5 seems unnecessary, even more so if you plan on only using 1gbit networking. Sure you could maybe use extra speedy drive speed for the minecraft server but you'd be better of getting a smaller SSD for that.

Will the media server be needing to transcode the media? if it does you will need a beefier CPU.

Other than that something to consider would be your network speed, im not sure where you will be running this server, you mention both backuping important documents for a small buisness, and running game servers, which i assume would be your hobby.

Thanks for helping :)

I'm planning to use Plex Media server. I think that it needs to do some transcoding but I'm not sure.

I plan on using a 10GbE Nic at a later date. So you suggest to use Raid 5 over 10 or did I missunderstand you there. If so what would be the benefits. To be honest, I dont really understand Raid 5 yet. It should lower the cost but also the speeds, but not redundency, right?

To the Backup and Game server thing:

The Game and ts3 server is for a few friends of mine. So yes it is my hobby. Also we dont want to pay for a server. One of my main concers is the minecraft server. We wont play often on it but some mods are quite Cpu intensive.

The Backup system is mostly for the buisness of my father. Currently, our data is not that well stored and I want to change that.

The server will be running in our house.

is your internet connection fast enough to handle the servers you want to run there?

Is power consumption any issue or can that thing draw power as it wants?

2 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

is your internet connection fast enough to handle the servers you want to run there?

Is power consumption any issue or can that thing draw power as it wants?

thx for the reply.

Well, most of the things I want to run on the server are only used locally. I have a 1MB/s Up and 5MB/s Down. I don't know if thats good enough for ts3 and GM server.

In therms of power usage, It shouldn't draw that much if not under load. It would be good if the file/media server only used like 120W max. but again I dont know much about hardware, so I cant tell if thats way to much or to less.

120W would be easy in idle, and even under load it shouldnt go much higher than that.

do you have any old computer parts like a case or anything else that could be reused to save n costs?

For this build you can literally take any CPU that has enough power, combine it with 8GB of ram and get a raid card that supports the raid modes you like.

i guess setting up the software side will be more work than the hardware itself.

I do have some spare parts. Software is also not that big of a problem. My concern is what I do about the gmod/ts3 servers + various virtual maschines? I looked a bit around found these parts:

Ram and Raid card are fully optional.

I think that this system is a bit overkill, isn't it?