Ryzen

With all of the leaked information over the past week, how is everyone feeling about Ryzen?

We know that it should perform similar to Intel in terms of IPC. If these prices are true it's gonna blow Intel off the market or force them to lower their prices.

Wccftech Cores/Threads L3 TDP Base Turbo XFR Overclocking
Unlocked
Price
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8/16 16MB 95W 3.6GHz 4.0GHz 4.0GHz+ Yes $499
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8/16 16MB 95W 3.4GHz 3.8GHz 3.8GHz+ Yes $389
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8/16 16MB 65W 3.0GHz 3.7GHz N/A Yes $319
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 6/12 16MB 95W 3.3GHz 3.7GHz 3.7GHz+ Yes $259
AMD Ryzen 5 1500 6/12 16MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A Yes $229
AMD Ryzen 5 1400X 4/8 8MB 65W 3.5GHz 3.9GHz 3.9GHz+ Yes $199
AMD Ryzen 5 1300 4/8 8MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A Yes $175
AMD Ryzen 3 1200X 4/4 8MB 65W 3.4GHz 3.8GHz 3.8GHz+ Yes $149
AMD Ryzen 3 1100 4/4 8MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A Yes $129

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I can't wait to build a new PC this year. :D

If the prices are close to what they are showing in leaks, I will be upgrading to the R5 1600X from my 860K.

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

We know that it should perform similar to Intel in terms of IPC. If these prices are true it's gonna blow Intel off the market or force them to lower their prices.

Wccftech Cores/Threads L3 TDP Base Turbo XFR Overclocking
Unlocked
Price
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8/16 16MB 95W 3.6GHz 4.0GHz 4.0GHz+ Yes $499
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8/16 16MB 95W 3.4GHz 3.8GHz 3.8GHz+ Yes $389
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8/16 16MB 65W 3.0GHz 3.7GHz N/A Yes $319
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 6/12 16MB 95W 3.3GHz 3.7GHz 3.7GHz+ Yes $259
AMD Ryzen 5 1500 6/12 16MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A Yes $229
AMD Ryzen 5 1400X 4/8 8MB 65W 3.5GHz 3.9GHz 3.9GHz+ Yes $199
AMD Ryzen 5 1300 4/8 8MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A Yes $175
AMD Ryzen 3 1200X 4/4 8MB 65W 3.4GHz 3.8GHz 3.8GHz+ Yes $149
AMD Ryzen 3 1100 4/4 8MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A Yes $129

Through and through... Intel is not going to be able to compete with these unless they deliver massively improved speeds and such over Ryzen, or drop their prices lower. 

1 minute ago, TyrealArchea said:

If the prices are close to what they are showing in leaks, I will be upgrading to the R5 1600X from my 860K.

repl

That will be a nice upgrade. :) It's basically the same as upgrading to a 6800K. 

Through and through... Intel is not going to be able to compete with these unless they deliver massively improved speeds and such over Ryzen, or drop their prices lower. 

They will need to drop their prices. It is rumored that their next gen will see a 15% performance increase. 

1 minute ago, Ramaddil said:

I am personally going for 1800X, go big or go home.. 

Not necessary for gaming. And the 1600X has higher single core benchmarks...

well, for as long as we dont have 3rd party benchmarks (because you better believe all benchmarks you see right now are cherrypicked) i'm hoping for the best, but fearing for the worst. if anything, the vareous pricepoints make me worried about the possibility of another FX story.

i just hope that AMD gets enough competition going so my 4790k finally isnt "within 15%" of the 8000 series from intel...

i planned to upgrade every fourth generation, but seemingly it'll be closer to "every twelveth generation" the way things are going now...

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

They will need to drop their prices. It is rumored that their next gen will see a 15% performance increase. 

We will see. The Kaby Lake stuff is not that impressive.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

well, for as long as we dont have 3rd party benchmarks (because you better believe all benchmarks you see right now are cherrypicked) i'm hoping for the best, but fearing for the worst. if anything, the vareous pricepoints make me worried about the possibility of another FX story.

i just hope that AMD gets enough competition going so my 4790k finally isnt "within 15%" of the 8000 series from intel...

i planned to upgrade every fourth generation, but seemingly it'll be closer to "every twelveth generation" the way things are going now...

FX story? I just recently got back into building.

1 minute ago, Ramaddil said:

Why does everyone assume people are just buying CPUs for gaming..  This CPU is going in my home server...

Because you did not specify... And a lot of us custom guys (and gals) are gamers....

2 minutes ago, TyrealArchea said:

FX story? I just recently got back into building.

FX was great, except it was a great server part marketed to the desktop, and by the time the desktop side of things caught up with the multithreaded goodness the chips have been milked so much they are essentially the cheap powerhungry low IPC jokes they are now. 

3 minutes ago, TyrealArchea said:

Because you did not specify... And a lot of us custom guys (and gals) are gamers....

and because AMD still doesnt have an answer to xeons either ;)

(please, no repeat of socket G34.. we need something that's not an actual joke...)

FX was great, except it was a great server part marketed to the desktop, and by the time the desktop side of things caught up with the multithreaded goodness the chips have been milked so much they are essentially the cheap powerhungry low IPC jokes they are now. 

I see. That sucks. To be fair, AMD has not really been much of a competitor for a long time.

and because AMD still doesnt have an answer to xeons either ;)

(please, no repeat of socket G34.. we need something that's not an actual joke...)

Pretty sure they are also coming out with a 16 core CPU to compete with Xeons.

AMD has not really been much of a competitor for a long time.

people call me an intel/nvidia fanboy. i use nvidia because i'm a creature of habit, and i use intel because at this point in time it is simply better. and i hope dearly that zen will change that, because stuff is getting boring...

Well to clarify I am buying the CPU for my server, I do not need a new CPU for gaming the one I have is adequate. I do not feel the need to buy a Xeon that is limited to slow clock speeds and insane prices.  A 8c/16t will be a lot better than my current CPU in my server.  

Was looking at ryzen for a new pc...6 months ago so I spent stuff all and traded some gear to upgrade my existing platform and I'm happy with performance.

Now ryzen is coming out, and it cost money, but I'm happy.

TLDR: Going turbo my car instead.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

21 minutes ago, manikyath said:

people call me an intel/nvidia fanboy. i use nvidia because i'm a creature of habit, and i use intel because at this point in time it is simply better. and i hope dearly that zen will change that, because stuff is getting boring...

I hear that. *fingers crossed*

17 minutes ago, Ramaddil said:

Well to clarify I am buying the CPU for my server, I do not need a new CPU for gaming the one I have is adequate. I do not feel the need to buy a Xeon that is limited to slow clock speeds and insane prices.  A 8c/16t will be a lot better than my current CPU in my server.  

Playing devils advocate, have you considered going with Intel I7-6950X? It is a 10c/20t CPU with nice clock speeds. I do understand that the 4x price is a turnoff though.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABFS5B72057

10 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Was looking at ryzen for a new pc...6 months ago so I spent stuff all and traded some gear to upgrade my existing platform and I'm happy with performance.

Now ryzen is coming out, and it cost money, but I'm happy.

TLDR: Going turbo my car instead.

So is Ryzen out for you then? Or upgrading in general for awhile?

$ 1600 for a CPU....... Intel is overpriced, they have been doing this because they lacked competition and really dont care about the consumer market.