Looking for a good recommendation for gigabit router

I have been running into issues with many routers, Netgear WNDR4300 and 4500 and Countless ASUS routers including the RT-N66U.

All of them have failed in one way or another, or just flat out have software bugs that I have tried to fix.

Is there any routers that are gigabit and 5g connections that you might suggest would be better?

At this point in time I don't care on price as long as it isn't like 800 bucks.

Sorry I was typing in a hurry I just mean a gigabit router with dual band wi-fi aswell

17 minutes ago, 8BITADDICTION said:

I have been running into issues with many routers, Netgear WNDR4300 and 4500 and Countless ASUS routers including the RT-N66U.

All of them have failed in one way or another, or just flat out have software bugs that I have tried to fix.

Is there any routers that are gigabit and 5g connections that you might suggest would be better?

At this point in time I don't care on price as long as it isn't like 800 bucks.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R6400.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

I currently own this one and it has been great. Range is phenomenal for the price and haven't had a hiccup in speed in nearly two years. I have four wireless devices and one wired constantly using the router. Speed is also excellent as I bought this to supplement my ISPs all-in-one and have gotten more speed then I'm paying for. 

15 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R6400.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

I currently own this one and it has been great. Range is phenomenal for the price and haven't had a hiccup in speed in nearly two years. I have four wireless devices and one wired constantly using the router. Speed is also excellent as I bought this to supplement my ISPs all-in-one and have gotten more speed then I'm paying for. 

I'll have to see if it's available near me, if not I will have to order it. But I'll wait until I get a few more suggestions just in case.

Depending on your budget obviously, I would look at separating the WiFi from the router.  Having one device that can be perfect at everything is rare and if you are fed up of how shit combined devices generally are, separate the roles.

I doubt you have a 1Gbit/s connection, however you likely want 1Gbit for the internal switching speed as very few residential routers can perform WAN > LAN routing at a full 1Gbit wire speed.

Here is what I would do if you are unfamiliar with building your own router equipment, obviously this is budget dependent but if you want performance/stability and an ever evolving feature set I would go with Ubiquiti.

Router - EdgeRouter Lite

WiFi AP - AP-AC-Lite

Then you have a much richer feature set on both devices.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Yeah the ubiquiti stuff would be nice but to get enough ports it would end up being about 500-600 bucks unfortunately, I don't know if I can do that at the moment.

2 minutes ago, 8BITADDICTION said:

Yeah the ubiquiti stuff would be nice but to get enough ports it would end up being about 500-600 bucks unfortunately, I don't know if I can do that at the moment.

You can toss an 8 port gigabit unmanaged switch in the mix which is like $30 off Newegg

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, 8BITADDICTION said:

100 bucks for an erl, 30 for a switch and 100-150 for any ubnt ap other then the lite and you are set. No where near close to 500-600 :)

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I live in Ontario and the closes store had the AP starting at 230 and the 4 port router was 150, all before taxes.

You need to be more specific about your requirements.

Good (not gigabit, but if you an't running a local LAN between power users who cares)
https://routerboard.com/RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC

Better

https://routerboard.com/RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT

If your rich and like fancy things.

https://amplifi.com/explore.html

If you are a business (What I will be migrating to at work)

https://routerboard.com/CCR1009-7G-1C-1Splus with https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/

I am no so sure you need a new router.

Can you be a bit more specific about what issues you have had with your previous ones? If you keep changing router and your issues persist, then chances are the problem lies somewhere else.

Okay, my internet speed is 350 down and 20 up, and all of the routers last about a year and then start to fail (wifi stops showing up, wired connections fail to connect.) And to fix it I have to restart the router, and that usually fixes for a few days before it does it again. But the Asus n66u was faulty from the start because of overheating.

The Netgear r4300 and R4500 failed differently from each other, the R4500 had it's wifi card die in it. And the R4300 fails hold a connection to the modem, it drops every 5 minutes. (No other router does that)

Then I have about 4 Asus NT-12 that just stop getting power but that seems to be a thing with them.

I'm with the other people. I would get an Edgerouter Lite and Unity AP and be done with it for years. I use both of these and they are actually amazing.

also with this setup, can you still access the LAN network to say copy files from other PC's if connected to wi-fi? i don't see why it wouldn't but i just want to confirm.

1 hour ago, 8BITADDICTION said:

Yes so that combination would work fine. Keep in mind that the AP AC Lite is the lower end AP - should still be totally fine in a residential environment though. The big difference between the AC AP Lite and the higher end models, is which speed it supports. The AC Lite tops out at 300 Mbps on the 2.4GHz Wireless N frequency, and tops out at 867 Mbps for the 5GHz Wireless AC frequency.

The more expensive models all top the 2.4GHz Wireless N spec up to the maximum 450 Mbps, and each higher model also increases the 5GHz AC speeds (1300 Mbps and 1733 Mbps, respectively for the AC Pro and the AC HD).

With that in mind, even the AC Lite should give a very reliable, very solid connection.

In addition to this, if you need more than 4 LAN ports, just buy a cheap $20-$30 unmanaged Gigabit switch.

1 hour ago, 8BITADDICTION said:

also with this setup, can you still access the LAN network to say copy files from other PC's if connected to wi-fi? i don't see why it wouldn't but i just want to confirm.

Yes. Any WIFI traffic will have full access to the LAN, unless you decide to start restricting traffic through routing rules, VLAN's, etc. The "default" setup should allow a wide open interchange between WIFI and LAN traffic.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yes so that combination would work fine. Keep in mind that the AP AC Lite is the lower end AP - should still be totally fine in a residential environment though. The big difference between the AC AP Lite and the higher end models, is which speed it supports. The AC Lite tops out at 300 Mbps on the 2.4GHz Wireless N frequency, and tops out at 867 Mbps for the 5GHz Wireless AC frequency.

The more expensive models all top the 2.4GHz Wireless N spec up to the maximum 450 Mbps, and each higher model also increases the 5GHz AC speeds (1300 Mbps and 1733 Mbps, respectively for the AC Pro and the AC HD).

With that in mind, even the AC Lite should give a very reliable, very solid connection.

In addition to this, if you need more than 4 LAN ports, just buy a cheap $20-$30 unmanaged Gigabit switch.

Yes. Any WIFI traffic will have full access to the LAN, unless you decide to start restricting traffic through routing rules, VLAN's, etc. The "default" setup should allow a wide open interchange between WIFI and LAN traffic.

Thanks for the information, I will make my decision and order tonight, i need to get this fixed soon haha

The generally say that the AC lite is for a room, Get the AC LR if you want house wide coverage.

3 minutes ago, Erkel said:

The generally say that the AC lite is for a room, Get the AC LR if you want house wide coverage.

i kinda wish i could see the range, they don't really mention that, is there any site that tells you the estimate?

1 hour ago, Erkel said:

Who is "they"? The AC lite should cover more than just one room. In a single story house w/ say, 1000 sqft, a single AC lite should cover the entire house w/ reasonable coverage, with maybe a bit spotty coverage at the outer edges.

Though the AC LR would definitely cover a house like that. And may also work in a multi-story environment as well.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Who is "they"? The AC lite should cover more than just one room. In a single story house w/ say, 1000 sqft, a single AC lite should cover the entire house w/ reasonable coverage, with maybe a bit spotty coverage at the outer edges.

Though the AC LR would definitely cover a house like that. And may also work in a multi-story environment as well.

my place is a single story apartment that's 884 sqft, the crappy ISP modem router has no issue covering the entire apartment but its so limited in port forwarding or cloud storage setups i always disable the router portion.

8 minutes ago, 8BITADDICTION said:

my place is a single story apartment that's 884 sqft, the crappy ISP modem router has no issue covering the entire apartment but its so limited in port forwarding or cloud storage setups i always disable the router portion.

Yeah for an 884 sqft apartment, I would try the AC Lite first - if it's not sufficient, utilize Amazon's excellent return policy to exchange it for a better one.

so basically my entire setup will consist of the modem, the router, Wireless AP, and a gigabit switch for additional ports. thank you for all of your help and information. i will update this once everything is set up and working!

If you've honestly had issues with 7 or more different routers before then I sincerely doubt getting another one will solve your issues. Hopefully it will, but I doubt it.