Unboxing the PETABYTE

nicklmg

How are you going to back this up? Do you have any tape storage on site? Every NAS we have here at chatterbeak.com we have x2 so we can have two copies on-site, and an offsite cloud backup.

Other than the lie of 2 systems 1 Petabyte, this seems awesome!

Also I'm probably not the only one who wants to see the archived video, dell xps 13 cringe worthy, you need to release this old never before seen videos on the float plane club. 

On 2/14/2017 at 3:04 PM, Daniel644 said:

well it is Seagate, i'm sure 10% will go bad in the first month.

I see the video title

Petabyte Server Died - Less than a year after whonick(or whatever its called)

i like trains 🙂

On 2017-02-14 at 8:37 PM, wrathoftheturkey said:

A salt mountain

Oh.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

I would be really interested in the specifics of the ZFS setup being used, and the CPU and other specs in those servers.

I'm using a 15 bay SAS enclosure with WD Red 8 TB drives in what will most likely be a RAID-Z3 with Ubuntu 16.04.

ZFS isn't simple conceptually so kudos to whoever in the LMG is wrapping their heads around it!

@LinusTech I've run a small NAS with ZFS for a couple of years, mainly using OmniOS. I'm now using SmartOS to be bale to run VMs on it as well. I would suggest looking at OmniOS if you want to keep it as pure file server with ZFS. I don't trust this ZFS on Linux business as it's not a pure implementation of ZFS (limited options to import the pool to other OSs), could be some performance punishments as well.

Also consider mirrored vdevs to get better performance (and faster re-silvering time if a drive fails). Would be interesting to see some comparison benchmarks between OmniOS/NexentaStor/ZFS on Linux!

Nice video btw!

Considering what happened to the Whonnock Server, I would have thought this time around you guys might have gone with a SAN, using ZFS (doesn't have to be ZFS, anything similar also works) which has RAID 6 arrays connected to it to maximise data safety, integrity, prevent bit rot, and avoid a disaster when a raid card dies. I know SUSE Enterprise has a software defined storage solution that is based on Ceph so you can expand storage later by clustering new storinators as you add them. If you want to try this setup. I don't work for SUSE, I have played around with some of their software before and think its really good.

edit: added (doesn't have to be ZFS, anything similar also works)