Unactivated Windows 10

mpsparrow

How does the Unactivated Windows 10 work. Besides personalization and a watermark is there anything else it restricts? Can I remote desktop to and from it? Does it still work to setup a Virtual Machine and all the jazz?

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

it will expire in 30 day

I don't see where you are getting that from. Everyone online is making it sound like it doesn't expire.

12 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

I don't see where you are getting that from. Everyone online is making it sound like it doesn't expire.

It doesn't expire. It just locks personalization and a watermark as you stated after the 30 days.

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

It doesn't expire. It just locks personalization and a watermark as you stated after the 30 days.

But besides locking personalization and adding a watermark does it still work? I am looking to possibly run an unactivated version of Windows 10 on my Grandparents computer and on a server that I am in the process of getting.

1 minute ago, mpsparrow said:

But besides locking personalization and adding a watermark does it still work? I am looking to possibly run an unactivated version of Windows 10 on my Grandparents computer and on a server that I am in the process of getting.

Yeah, but I would recommend just getting a key off of Reddit...Windows 7 / 8.1 is $25 for Pro, Windows 10 home is $40...I've bought several keys of Office 2016 and for friends, no issues so far.

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/5teyhv/h_windows_7_8_81_10_windows_server_office_visio/

4 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, but I would recommend just getting a key off of Reddit...Windows 7 / 8.1 is $25 for Pro, Windows 10 home is $40...I've bought several keys of Office 2016 and for friends, no issues so far.

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/5teyhv/h_windows_7_8_81_10_windows_server_office_visio/

Is it worth getting Windows 10 Enterprise? What is the difference?

26 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

Is it worth getting Windows 10 Enterprise? What is the difference?

No, Enterprise is mostly used for connecting to a main domain name server / you don't really need the features of enterprise for a home PC for the most part. I'd just stick to Home / Pro.

Otherwise if you want to tinker with server stuff (It's kind of hard to learn too), Windows Server 2016 Standard / Datacenter is there for you.

4 hours ago, scottyseng said:

No, Enterprise is mostly used for connecting to a main domain name server / you don't really need the features of enterprise for a home PC for the most part. I'd just stick to Home / Pro.

Otherwise if you want to tinker with server stuff (It's kind of hard to learn too), Windows Server 2016 Standard / Datacenter is there for you.

I was told by a friend that the Enterprise version comes with less spyware and bloatware.

20 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

I was told by a friend that the Enterprise version comes with less spyware and bloatware.

Pro version is the same. But ah, it's just the app things that are preinstalled. I wouldn't call them bloatware at all.

If you really want no bloat ware, get Windows Server 2016...there's no apps at all. haha

10 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Pro version is the same. But ah, it's just the app things that are preinstalled. I wouldn't call them bloatware at all.

If you really want no bloat ware, get Windows Server 2016...there's no apps at all. haha

In that case, I will just go with Windows 10 Pro.

What is different about Windows Server 2016? Should I load up Windows Server on my server that I am getting soon?

38 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

What is different about Windows Server 2016? Should I load up Windows Server on my server that I am getting soon?

Quite a bit actually. Where in Windows everything is set up for you, in Windows Server, you have to set up everything / install what you need. Networking, audio, file sharing, all of that is disabled by default. You have to install what you need.

You can also use it to host websites, create a domain and manage a set of PCs, or backup PCs if you want. It's not for the casual user though...too much set up involved. I'm still learning how to set it up properly myself. It also prioritizes background tasks instead of running current apps.

I run Windows Server on my NAS and it works great.

14 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Quite a bit actually. Where in Windows everything is set up for you, in Windows Server, you have to set up everything / install what you need. Networking, audio, file sharing, all of that is disabled by default. You have to install what you need.

You can also use it to host websites, create a domain and manage a set of PCs, or backup PCs if you want. It's not for the casual user though...too much set up involved. I'm still learning how to set it up properly myself. It also prioritizes background tasks instead of running current apps.

I run Windows Server on my NAS and it works great.

Ok, I shall consider running Windows Server on my new server then. Sounds like the type of thing I was looking to use for it.

3 hours ago, mpsparrow said:

Ok, I shall consider running Windows Server on my new server then. Sounds like the type of thing I was looking to use for it.

Just know you'll have to learn a bit about setup to use it properly. If you want simple file sharing, you're probably better off using Home Group on Windows 10.

2 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Just know you'll have to learn a bit about setup to use it properly. If you want simple file sharing, you're probably better off using Home Group on Windows 10.

Yeah, I will see when I get the server and set things up which one I decide.