6700k on a h170?

was it a bad idea of me putting a 6700k on a asus h170 pro gaming motherboard? i cant change it anymore just askin tho

Its fine, but you cant overclock.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Well, you might have limited (or non-existant at all) overclocking capabilities and no SLI support, but if those are not your thing then you didn't lose anything, really.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, Radiant said:

was it a bad idea of me putting a 6700k on a asus h170 pro gaming motherboard? i cant change it anymore just askin tho

Did you plan to overclock?

Yes > Then it was a bad idea, you need a Z170/Z270 chipset motherboard for that.

No > Then it was a good idea, but then you could have gotten a 6700 (non-K) and saved some money.

Spoiler

My system:

CPU: i5-6600K <> Mobo: Gigabyte Z270X Ultra Gaming <> Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 <> GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 <> SSD: Intel 600p 256Gb

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (16Gb @ 3000Mhz) <> PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W <> Case: Corsair Carbide 400C <> Fans: 6x Bitfenix Spectre 

Monitor: Asus VG248QE <> Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300 <> Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Ultimate <> Speakers: Logitech Z333

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Ok, my cheapo Bitfenix fans are 120mm, all six of them. Are you happy now?

Spoiler

I am not actually Linus...

Spoiler

You can leave my signature now.....

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, you might have limited (or non-existant at all) overclocking capabilities and no SLI support, but if those are not your thing then you didn't lose anything, really.

na never going sli, got a gtx 1070 running @ 2020 clock and about 2500 on memory. the raeason i bought the h170 is because it was half price and it wouldvt taken 1 week to get hold of a z170, but im not sure if i will overclock anytime soon

7 minutes ago, TheNextLinus said:

Did you plan to overclock?

Yes > Then it was a bad idea, you need a Z170/Z270 chipset motherboard for that.

No > Then it was a good idea, but then you could have gotten a 6700 (non-K) and saved some money.

the reason i bought the h170 is because it was half price and it wouldve taken 1 week to get hold of a z170, but im not sure if i will overclock anytime soon eventho i easily could reach 4.4 because of my cooler

1 minute ago, Radiant said:

na never going sli, got a gtx 1070 running @ 2020 clock and about 2500 on memory. the raeason i bought the h170 is because it was half price and it wouldvt taken 1 week to get hold of a z170, but im not sure if i will overclock anytime soon

Just buy a new mobo in some time when you feel the performance isn't what you need it to be (Z170 or Z270) and overclock the CPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White