Can anyone help with my monitor selection, please?

testudo_aubreii

Hello,

I am in the market for a new display. It will be for 1080p@60 gaming on PC and I will also be using it for a PS4 (mostly on the PS4, anyway). I want it primarily for FPS games, like Battlefield 1, on the PS4.

I would like a larger screen, like a 27", but I hear and read about 27" on 1080p not being too great of a picture, like it is looking through a screen door...which I believe to be a bit of an exaggeration. I am definitely open for screen size suggestions, though. I would like an IPS monitor, as well.

If anyone can help me out, I would surely appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for all suggestions, advice and help.

budget?

Current Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K at 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 AIO Motherboard: gigabyte Z270X ultra gaming 

Memory: Trident Z rgb 16gb 3000Mhz
Storage: Samsung 250GB SSD Storage2: sandisk ultra II 960gb SSD Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 O8G STRIX  

Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400

Power Supply: Corsair RM650X Fans: 2x 120mm NZXT Aer rgb LEDcontroller: NZXT Hue+ LEDstrip: cablemod hybrid-LED/UV 60Cm

peripherals:

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Gamepad: Razer Tartarus Mouse: Razer Mamba TE 2015 Chroma Headphones: Logitech G533 Wireless

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM Monitor1: AOC Q2577PWQ 2560X1440 OC'ed to 75 Hz Monitor2: LG 25UM57-P 25.0" 2560x1080 OC'ed to 75Hz 

PCpartpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qt76xY

My laptop: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-VN7-571G-50VG-Notebook-Computer-i5-5200U/dp/B01CL50JV6

Quote:

If you really want it, go get it.

Thank you for your reply.

I would say max $250 USD, but below that would be great :).

Welcome to the forums!

Alright, personal opinion time.

27" for PC gaming can be quite large unless you have a huge desk an sit far away from it, I find myself having neck pains from it.

When it comes to 1080p at that size people tend to say that pixels are visible and so on. Sure. You can see them more clearly as the pixel density kind of gets "stretched", but i personally didn't find that issue unless I kind of went looking for it.

Getting a monitor in that size would be a matter of how close to it you sit, so I guess I think like most poeple just on a separate point.

ALSO! When in tho forums, make sure to QUOTE. You do this by pressing the small arrow under the comment you wish to send a reply. Otherwise we wont get a notification!

little bit more expensive, but 144hz https://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-1920x1080-144Hz-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0

there are also others which you can choose from. there are cheaper 144hz 1080p screens

Current Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K at 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 AIO Motherboard: gigabyte Z270X ultra gaming 

Memory: Trident Z rgb 16gb 3000Mhz
Storage: Samsung 250GB SSD Storage2: sandisk ultra II 960gb SSD Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 O8G STRIX  

Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400

Power Supply: Corsair RM650X Fans: 2x 120mm NZXT Aer rgb LEDcontroller: NZXT Hue+ LEDstrip: cablemod hybrid-LED/UV 60Cm

peripherals:

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Gamepad: Razer Tartarus Mouse: Razer Mamba TE 2015 Chroma Headphones: Logitech G533 Wireless

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM Monitor1: AOC Q2577PWQ 2560X1440 OC'ed to 75 Hz Monitor2: LG 25UM57-P 25.0" 2560x1080 OC'ed to 75Hz 

PCpartpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qt76xY

My laptop: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-VN7-571G-50VG-Notebook-Computer-i5-5200U/dp/B01CL50JV6

Quote:

If you really want it, go get it.

2 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Welcome to the forums!

Alright, personal opinion time.

27" for PC gaming can be quite large unless you have a huge desk an sit far away from it, I find myself having neck pains from it.

When it comes to 1080p at that size people tend to say that pixels are visible and so on. Sure. You can see them more clearly as the pixel density kind of gets "stretched", but i personally didn't find that issue unless I kind of went looking for it.

Getting a monitor in that size would be a matter of how close to it you sit, so I guess I think like most poeple just on a separate point.

ALSO! When in tho forums, make sure to QUOTE. You do this by pressing the small arrow under the comment you wish to send a reply. Otherwise we wont get a notification!

Thank you for your response!

Yeah, I have sat behind a 27" before while someone played a game. I can see where the text would be a bit fuzzy, but the game image looked great, actually. I am certainly open to size suggestions. I just figured 27" would be good for gaming. I have another monitor for work stuff, but it is not considered to be a good "gaming" monitor.

Oh, I think it will be primarily PS4 gaming, if that helps. I pretty much play multiplayer games with family and friends, but since I am the only one with a PC and they all have PS4s, I tend to play the console a lot more.

5 minutes ago, TommyW2061 said:

little bit more expensive, but 144hz https://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-1920x1080-144Hz-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0

there are also others which you can choose from. there are cheaper 144hz 1080p screens

Thank you, again. However, I have no need for a 144hz monitor. I don't have the hardware for and I am tend to game a lot more on the console than the PC nowadays. I will just be playing through my single player back log on the PC and multiplayer on PS4.

3 minutes ago, testudo_aubreii said:

Thank you, again. However, I have no need for a 144hz monitor. I don't have the hardware for and I am tend to game a lot more on the console than the PC nowadays. I will just be playing through my single player back log on the PC and multiplayer on PS4.

How about this one

http://www.asus.com/Monitors/VX238H/

1060p, 60hz, and 1ms flicker free monitor..

It's also quite cheap and I use this for competitive games

5 minutes ago, Adrian Hartanto said:

How about this one

Thank you. Yeah, that one looks nice. However, I don't think that is an IPS display. I really like the colors of an IPS display.

5 minutes ago, testudo_aubreii said:

Thank you for your response!

Yeah, I have sat behind a 27" before while someone played a game. I can see where the text would be a bit fuzzy, but the game image looked great, actually. I am certainly open to size suggestions. I just figured 27" would be good for gaming. I have another monitor for work stuff, but it is not considered to be a good "gaming" monitor.

Oh, I think it will be primarily PS4 gaming, if that helps. I pretty much play multiplayer games with family and friends, but since I am the only one with a PC and they all have PS4s, I tend to play the console a lot more.

When it comes to sheer size it's in the end up to you, and since it seems like that's what you're after I recommend going for that.

HOWEVER.

You should always go and look at a few monitors at your local stores, sometimes reveiws and info about a monitor can seem great while they in reality doesn't suit you at all.

I can recommend a few though! IPS is usually not on the cheap though..

With IPS

Acer 27" LED RT270bmid

AOC 24" LED I2475PXQU

Acer 24" LED RT240Ybmid

Unless IPS isn't a must:

Acer 27" LED G276HLJbidx

Asus 27" LED VP278H

Size comes with a price too.

1 minute ago, Adrian Hartanto said:

How about this one

Don't fall for the "ms" crap. You will most likely not notice anything below 30ms anyways.

Good monitor however.

6 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Don't fall for the "ms" crap. You will most likely not notice anything below 30ms anyways.

Good monitor however.

I do notice the difference of the upper of 4ms++. Cause I play competitive games like dota 2 and csgo.

I can even notice the difference of 1ms and 5ms. But since he tends to play at console and needs an IPS monitor. So yeah.. my suggestion doesn't suite with his.

13 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

When it comes to sheer size it's in the end up to you, and since it seems like that's what you're after I recommend going for that.

HOWEVER.

You should always go and look at a few monitors at your local stores, sometimes reveiws and info about a monitor can seem great while they in reality doesn't suit you at all.

I can recommend a few though! IPS is usually not on the cheap though..

With IPS

Acer 27" LED RT270bmid

AOC 24" LED I2475PXQU

Acer 24" LED RT240Ybmid

Unless IPS isn't a must:

Acer 27" LED G276HLJbidx

Asus 27" LED VP278H

Size comes with a price too.

Good monitor however.

Thank you for replying!

27" is not an absolute must. I have been doing some research and I do know the difference between the "ms" response time (time it takes to change pixels) and input lag (time it takes from controller/KB&M to what you see on your display). I have been looking at these monitors:

HP 27es         (7ms response, <2.5ms input lag - glossy and flicker free)

AOC i2757fh  (5ms response, <5ms input lag)

ASUS MX29h (5ms response, <9ms input lag)

Dell S2415H   (7ms response, <5ms input lag - glossy, flicker free, but only 1 HDMI and 1 VGA) 

These are all AH-IPS monitors and seem pretty nice. The "problem" with the AOC and the ASUS that I have read is that they are 3+ years old and the price is too high for what they are.

I don't know...I didn't know that it would be this hard trying to pick a monitor. I really jump into the rabbit hole when I started researching lol.

31 minutes ago, Adrian Hartanto said:

I do notice the difference of the upper of 4ms++. Cause I play competitive games like dota 2 and csgo.

I can even notice the difference of 1ms and 5ms. But since he tends to play at console and needs an IPS monitor. So yeah.. my suggestion doesn't suite with his.

You're wrong, allow me to open your eyes a bit!

Read under "You need a 5ms response time or less for gaming!"

34 minutes ago, testudo_aubreii said:

Thank you for replying!

27" is not an absolute must. I have been doing some research and I do know the difference between the "ms" response time (time it takes to change pixels) and input lag (time it takes from controller/KB&M to what you see on your display). I have been looking at these monitors:

HP 27es         (7ms response, <2.5ms input lag - glossy and flicker free)

AOC i2757fh  (5ms response, <5ms input lag)

ASUS MX29h (5ms response, <9ms input lag)

Dell S2415H   (7ms response, <5ms input lag - glossy, flicker free, but only 1 HDMI and 1 VGA) 

These are all AH-IPS monitors and seem pretty nice. The "problem" with the AOC and the ASUS that I have read is that they are 3+ years old and the price is too high for what they are.

I don't know...I didn't know that it would be this hard trying to pick a monitor. I really jump into the rabbit hole when I started researching lol.

You really wont have to care for the "ms" much.

Also you wont have to care much about them being old tbh, a good monitor is a good monitor and a bad monitur will suck.

New doesn't always mean better.

And again, I'm just recommending monitors. I HIGHLY suggest that you goo look at some irl.

25 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

You're wrong, allow me to open your eyes a bit!

Read under "You need a 5ms response time or less for gaming!"

Thx for the info.. I think what makes my game sometimes delay might be because of the latency of my internet connection cause I suffer from the packet loss sometimes..

1 minute ago, Adrian Hartanto said:

Thx for the info.. I think what makes my game sometimes delay might be because of the latency of my internet connection cause I suffer from the packet loss sometimes..

It's most likely that rather than your monitor!

As you just read, sometimes a 12ms screen is "faster" than a 5ms. So.. Yeah.

Glad I could help though! :)

1 hour ago, Adrian Hartanto said:

1 hour ago, MVPernula said:

It's most likely that rather than your monitor!

As you just read, sometimes a 12ms screen is "faster" than a 5ms. So.. Yeah.

Glad I could help though! :)

I have an ASUS PB23Q that I use for my work computer. Do anyone if know anything about this monitor? I mean, do you think it is good for gaming?

8 minutes ago, testudo_aubreii said:

I have an ASUS PB23Q that I use for my work computer. Do anyone if know anything about this monitor? I mean, do you think it is good for gaming?

Actually 1080p monitors are good already for gaming at nowadays especially with that monitor staying at 60fps++. But if you want to be a more hardcore gamer.. getting a TN panel, better refresh rate, and low input lag monitor would be great. Anyway, that depends on your taste and it's optional :D

5 hours ago, testudo_aubreii said:

Honestly yeah.. I don't see why it wouldn't be any good. 

If you can.. Try it, if it satisfies you- you're good to go, right?

4 hours ago, Adrian Hartanto said:

Actually 1080p monitors are good already for gaming at nowadays especially with that monitor staying at 60fps++. But if you want to be a more hardcore gamer.. getting a TN panel, better refresh rate, and low input lag monitor would be great. Anyway, that depends on your taste and it's optional :D

Also as mentioned in the master mythbuster post. Getting a TN panel brings no actual benefit, I don't see why better color accuracy would ruin the experience of higher refresh rate.

And besides, since he's mostly gaming on his PS4 a 144hz monitor would simply be money down the drain whereas IPS would make him get better color accuracy. I'd personally say that OP has a good idea of what he should get.