Remove Desk Vibration

K0MP4CT

I recently bought a Blue Yeti mic, it's great, however, there's a noticeable hum when recording. The culprit is my desk. When I hold the mic in my hand, the humming is completely eliminated. My question is how can I remove the vibration? I know I could spend ages trying to figure out what specifically in my PC is making the desk vibrate, however, I'd rather have a solution to stopping it reach the mic.

My first guess is some rubber mats to place the mic on top of, I'm not sure how well that would work.

Secondly, a mic stand, but I feel like the vibration would travel up the arm of the stand and back to the microphone.

Any ideas? Thank you!

a foam pad under the mic should eliminate most of it a rubber pad might be too solid to do much and yes the arm probably wouldn't help.

2 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

a foam pad under the mic should eliminate most of it a rubber pad might be too solid to do much and yes the arm probably wouldn't help.

Saves me money anyway! Could you link me something you think would do the trick? I know it's stupid, seeing as I'm asking you to link me a piece of foam, I'd just really like to make sure it'll do the trick! Thanks.

Is your computer sitting on your desk or touching your desk? That's most likely the culprit. Anything with a fan/moving parts is probably what's causing the hum. 

60 Hz hum does exist, but that's generally electrical and wouldn't be fixed by picking up the mic.

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Is your computer sitting on your desk or touching your desk? That's most likely the culprit. Anything with a fan/moving parts is probably what's causing the hum. 

60 Hz hum does exist, but that's generally electrical and wouldn't be fixed by picking up the mic.

Yeah it is, I assumed that was the cause from the start, however, I don't have much I can do about that. It seems more convenient and logical to just fix the mic picking up the hum, as it's the first time I've come across the issue!

3 minutes ago, K0MP4CT said:

Saves me money anyway! Could you link me something you think would do the trick? I know it's stupid, seeing as I'm asking you to link me a piece of foam, I'd just really like to make sure it'll do the trick! Thanks.

I'd just try things around the house first. A folded up t-shirt, rubber feet off of a toy, a sweatshirt. A sandal, etc. 

4 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I'd just try things around the house first. A folded up t-shirt, rubber feet off of a toy, a sweatshirt. A sandal, etc. 

yea your mouse pad might even work depending on the material 

9 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

5 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

yea your mouse pad might even work depending on the material 

As you both said, I tried a few things. First was a small pillow, perfect. Secondly, a folded flannel, also perfect. Although, I'd rather not have to bodge it lol, my desk is black, would a thick, black mousemat do the trick? Or any other suggestions :) 

4 minutes ago, K0MP4CT said:

As you both said, I tried a few things. First was a small pillow, perfect. Secondly, a folded flannel, also perfect. Although, I'd rather not have to bodge it lol, my desk is black, would a thick, black mousemat do the trick? Or any other suggestions :) 

A mousepad may work. It may be a bit stiff. Only you can know. 

Honestly if you don't want to bodge it then just buy a stand that's made for vibration isolation.

Or try buying something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Rictor-Premium-Washer-Anti-vibration-Dampening/dp/B013CV38ZW/ref=sr_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1485190101&sr=1-3

Wait, is the vibration constant? Shouldn't that be super easy to remove in post?

5 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

A mousepad may work. It may be a bit stiff. Only you can know. 

Honestly if you don't want to bodge it then just buy a stand that's made for vibration isolation.

Or try buying something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Rictor-Premium-Washer-Anti-vibration-Dampening/dp/B013CV38ZW/ref=sr_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1485190101&sr=1-3

Wait, is the vibration constant? Shouldn't that be super easy to remove in post?

I did try removing it afterwards using Audacity and a few other programs, but it honestly has nothing on the bodge :D 

Thank you both for the help anyway!