Last question

Dackzy

I just saw that the SONY XPERIA X PERFORMANCE came on sale for the same as the Huawei Honor 8, is it better?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

Honor 8 > SONY Xperia X

this is the Performance model with a SD820...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 minutes ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

still prefer the honor 8, the question is do you actually need that power - i ask this because phones have gotten to the point where they are getting faster but to be honest they are already fast enough. i.e iPhone 7, yes its fast but what really takes full use of that power like on a daily basis.

I just want to get the phone that would last me the longest

1 minute ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

Well usability wise i would go for honor 8/P9 but if you want raw specs / performance (this may not fully correlate to real world dependant on your tasks) then i would go sony - also isn't it worth waiting for the new SD835, couldn't you use a brick phone in the mean time, its what i would do / have done. although not the most user friendly choice you atlas get the best product at the end of the day.

well the SD835 would only come in phones I am not willing to pay for. The 400$ mark is kinda the max I think a phone is worth and I need a phone in my school, because I need to take pictures of products I make.

I would wait, but my Lumia 930 seems to be a fire hazard right now, it overheats for no reason and restarts all the time and yes I have tried to reinstall it.

2 minutes ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

if the 3T is anything to go by, isn't it the 400$ mark and also containing a SD821, by this reasoning one could assume the latter would have a similar upgrade when the SP835 comes out meaning that it too would almost fit / fit into your price range potentially.

well that would take some time before that happens, I think we are first going to see that happen in april or later. Right now I am really lucky if my phone will last me a month more...

1 minute ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

If you want something that will last the longest i think you wait a little longer because right now if you buy what will very soon be last generation tech, it will last a lot less - similar dilemma to people buying the 980Ti right before the 1080 launch, and we saw that the wait was well worth it with longevity being much longer than that of the 900Series buyers before pascal.

well that is true

1 hour ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

Well usability wise i would go for honor 8/P9 but if you want raw specs / performance (this may not fully correlate to real world dependant on your tasks) then i would go sony - also isn't it worth waiting for the new SD835, couldn't you use a brick phone in the mean time, its what i would do / have done. although not the most user friendly choice you atlas get the best product at the end of the day.

In day to day usage the Kirin 950 is just as capable as the SD 820, and the 821 is a very small improvement from that. You won't notice the difference, and if anything the Honor 8 will actually have a better time in the long run thanks to it's 4GB of RAM.

HOWEVER the one point that stands out on the X Performance is that it does have stereo speakers. If you ever consume media on your phone without headphones, once you try front-facing stereo speakers, you never want to use something without them.

"Rawr XD"

18 minutes ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

In another thread @Dackzymentioned speakers arnt a maijor selling point for him.

that is true, I think all phone speakers suck, even the "good" ones. So I just never use them...

(Yes I have high standards for audio)

A local tech shop has some Z3+ and there is a big chance that they are willing to sell them for 280$, since they are clearance. That phone should be more than enough for the next year.

8 hours ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

In another thread @Dackzymentioned speakers arnt a maijor selling point for him.

In yet another thread he made, he said the Axon 7 would be a good choice due to audio, so I was just putting that out there.

"Rawr XD"

7 hours ago, Dackzy said:

A local tech shop has some Z3+ and there is a big chance that they are willing to sell them for 280$, since they are clearance. That phone should be more than enough for the next year.

Dat AMD Snapdragon 810 heat tho

"Rawr XD"

6 minutes ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

Amp and dac*

Before he made another thread about amp and DAC the preceding thread was about speakers. I was the one who brought it up.

"Rawr XD"

30 minutes ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

Link?

In one of the first threads he posted asking about a smartphone. I'm not going to go dig it up, but you can if it means that much to you for whatever reason it seems to.

"Rawr XD"

3 hours ago, Aniallation said:

Before he made another thread about amp and DAC the preceding thread was about speakers. I was the one who brought it up.

Wait what? I said that? Oh don't mind that at all, I hate using speakers on a phone, since IMO they are all trash. I do care about the amp and DAC

57 minutes ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

thought so.

Hence why i asked for a link cause i sense BS since i followed the threads on this by Dazkzy and anyways if you prove me other wise i will stand corrected but i feel you are just trying to uphold your argument on false pretences

Here you are if you're really going to be that douchey and anal about it.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/725476-phone-brands-with-close-to-stock-android-and-good-specs/?do=findComment&comment=9232678

kTppr9S.png 

This was when it was first brought up and what I was referring to.

MRzoGol.png

Better AUDIO does not provide a differentiation between whether it was about speakers or amp+DAC.

"Rawr XD"

49 minutes ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

you we're making an assumption - in the actually question or the start of the thread he specified, please read more specifically next time rather than creating BS.

Please explain to me how "audio" on a smartphone would not include both speaker output and headphone output. When you can prove that it explicitly only means one or the other, then you can make your point.

What I said was that in another thread he mentioned it. I proved to you that it was in another thread, as you asked. You assumed that it was at the beginning. I'm not the one making assumptions here.

You were the one that was starting an argument rather than just ignoring the part about the Xperia X if you thought it was irrelevant. If you had followed all the past threads (which the list of followers says you don't, but I shall assume you are nonetheless because you said so), it clearly wasn't for the purpose of providing assistance. 

Don't accuse others of creating BS when you're throwing out just as much.

"Rawr XD"

@Aniallation @Aleksiandrovich

Okay you two, I should have been more clear, when it comes to audio in phones I only care about the DAC and amp, not the speakers.

37 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

@Aniallation @Aleksiandrovich

Okay you two, I should have been more clear, when it comes to audio in phones I only care about the DAC and amp, not the speakers.

To answer your question: It depends on what kind of headphones you use. According to sources online, everyone seems to say that the Honor 8 performs perfectly fine audio-wise with "regular" headphones and earphones, which is fair enough. It is if you use high-impedance headphones where the headphone amp would make a big difference in the audio experience of the Axon 7.

Also noticed that I forgot to reply to your question about the Xperia Z3+. I'm not sure about the Z3 Plus specifically, but I had the regular Z3 as well as the Z3 Compact, and both of them had awful output through the headphone jack. At full volume connected to the auxiliary input of my Alpine IDA-X305, output from them was about the same as what my BlackBerry Priv could do at half volume.

"Rawr XD"

6 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

To answer your question: It depends on what kind of headphones you use. According to sources online, everyone seems to say that the Honor 8 performs perfectly fine audio-wise with "regular" headphones and earphones, which is fair enough. It is if you use high-impedance headphones where the headphone amp would make a big difference in the audio experience of the Axon 7.

Also noticed that I forgot to reply to your question about the Xperia Z3+. I'm not sure about the Z3 Plus specifically, but I had the regular Z3 as well as the Z3 Compact, and both of them had awful output through the headphone jack. At full volume connected to the auxiliary input of my Alpine IDA-X305, output from them was about the same as what my BlackBerry Priv could do at half volume.

Well I only buy high quality headphones...

The thing is the Z3+ just got as cheap as the P9 lite, which is very tempting.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well I only buy high quality headphones...

The thing is the Z3+ just got as cheap as the P9 lite, which is very tempting.

You'll have to be a bit more specific as to what kind of high quality headphones, but with the Z line as a whole I'd stay away from them if you are looking to use headphones (this issue extended to the ZL and Z2 for me as well). Fme, "high quality" would bring to mind my Klipsch S4's (18 ohm) for in-ears and my ATH-M40x (35 ohm) for on-ears. The Sony's could work with the S4s, but volume was again very lacking even at full. The AT's, forget it.

My mom's Huawei GR5 (Honor 5X) can power the AT's fine though, which leads to believe that just something is up with the output on the Sony's (just the Z line in particular though, as my M4 Aqua was noticeably better). That on top of the infamous issues with the 810, I'd still go with the P9L over the Z3+ given I had to choose between the two. 

"Rawr XD"

5 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

You'll have to be a bit more specific as to what kind of high quality headphones, but with the Z line as a whole I'd stay away from them if you are looking to use headphones (this issue extended to the ZL and Z2 for me as well). Fme, "high quality" would bring to mind my Klipsch S4's (18 ohm) for in-ears and my ATH-M40x (35 ohm) for on-ears. The Sony's could work with the S4s, but volume was again very lacking even at full. The AT's, forget it.

My mom's Huawei GR5 (Honor 5X) can power the AT's fine though, which leads to believe that just something is up with the output on the Sony's (just the Z line in particular though, as my M4 Aqua was noticeably better). That on top of the infamous issues with the 810, I'd still go with the P9L over the Z3+ given I had to choose between the two. 

well the headphones depend on the day and if I am testing things. Right now I am using some shure se425, but in a weeks time I will be using some carbo Tenore after that some B&W P3 and P5, when I am training then I use some cheap Kz Zs3... I also have some M50, but I don't really use them with my phone or at all... I also have a Fiio X1, which I use the most.

I did not know that the Z line sucked at powering headphones. 

38 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

well the headphones depend on the day and if I am testing things. Right now I am using some shure se425, but in a weeks time I will be using some carbo Tenore after that some B&W P3 and P5, when I am training then I use some cheap Kz Zs3... I also have some M50, but I don't really use them with my phone or at all... I also have a Fiio X1, which I use the most.

I did not know that the Z line sucked at powering headphones. 

Pretty much any earphones/IEMs will be fine it's mostly the bigger on-ear headphones that would be a concern. However the B&W P3 and P5 are only ~30 ohm which should not present an issue even with the Honor 8, considering my M40x are slightly higher impedance. Obviously won't be as good as a Fiio but will definitely work for daily usage if you don't listen to music as loud as I do.

"Rawr XD"

18 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

Pretty much any earphones/IEMs will be fine it's mostly the bigger on-ear headphones that would be a concern. However the B&W P3 and P5 are only ~30 ohm which should not present an issue even with the Honor 8, considering my M40x are slightly higher impedance. Obviously won't be as good as a Fiio but will definitely work for daily usage if you don't listen to music as loud as I do.

Impedance doesn't really matter at all, it is the sensitivity of the driver that matters, but they are all fairly sensitive.