Computer beeps 5 times and won't boot

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
16 minutes ago, Nathanael Gold said:

Ok we will try that!

Yeah that was the weird problem we also run into the manual didn't said anything about that.

i did encounter this on reddit:

For anyone else coming to this thread with this issue, this MB has a RAM module with locks on only one side. If you put the RAM in how you usually would and just lock the one side into place it won't register the RAM and will give you this error. You'll need to push the non-locking side of the RAM down first with some force, and THEN place the other side in and lock it into place.
This isn't noted anywhere in the manual, or anywhere online, but placing the ram in how you normally would results in one side raising up too high.

probably worth an extra check just to make sure.

EDIT: appareantly gigabyte boards can be especially picky about which slots you put the ram sticks in as well.

EDIT 2: from a few other sources dug up deep from the internet, appareantly even gigabyte themselves have no idea what their bios beeps mean, but 5 *short* beeps are cpu related, 5 *long* beeps seem to always be ram related, with no description from gigabyte officially on the latter one even existing at all.

GG gigabyte, seems like i'll be staying away from them a while longer...

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

every board is a bit different offcourse, but generally if unplugging something makes a change, you know that it's working.

Ok we will try that!

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

so.. i fished the manual off of gigabyte's website to maybe check if you were under any chance interpreting the beeps wrong (on some boards there are different codes that sound alike) but i cant for the life of me find anything about post error codes in there...

Yeah that was the weird problem we also run into the manual didn't said anything about that.

16 minutes ago, Nathanael Gold said:

Ok we will try that!

For anyone else coming to this thread with this issue, this MB has a RAM module with locks on only one side. If you put the RAM in how you usually would and just lock the one side into place it won't register the RAM and will give you this error. You'll need to push the non-locking side of the RAM down first with some force, and THEN place the other side in and lock it into place.
This isn't noted anywhere in the manual, or anywhere online, but placing the ram in how you normally would results in one side raising up too high.

EDIT: appareantly gigabyte boards can be especially picky about which slots you put the ram sticks in as well.

EDIT 2: from a few other sources dug up deep from the internet, appareantly even gigabyte themselves have no idea what their bios beeps mean, but 5 *short* beeps are cpu related, 5 *long* beeps seem to always be ram related, with no description from gigabyte officially on the latter one even existing at all.

15 minutes ago, manikyath said:

EDIT 2: from a few other sourced dug up deep from the internet, appareantly even gigabyte themselves have no idea what their bios beeps mean, but 5 *short* beeps are cpu related, 5 *long* beeps seem to always be ram related, with no description from gigabyte officially on the latter one even existing at all.

I realized that putting the RAM in was very weird because one side of it was "fixed" and the other side was normal. I will definetly give that a try!! Thank you very much

Also I will check later on this night, because I must learn for my math exam but thanks to all of you! I really apprechiate it that you guys put so much effort in helping and everything ! Thank you very much!

Hello,

I'm the friend, i just signed up.

Thanks for all your replies, I tried the things you all told me, if I hadn't done that yet. But it's still beeping.

I also contacted Gigabyte's support but they didn't answer yet.

I'll keep you updated.

1 hour ago, NerdyCoder said:

Can you send a picture of the cpu pins and the motherboard?

Sure.

But I think it's very unlikely that some of them are not working because I exchanged both, motherboard and cpu. Althought we were very careful, it's not working. I couln't think of anything we could've done wrong inserting those things.

Nevertheless here are the photos:

Motherboard (plugged in this photo are cpu, 1 RAM in slot 1, cpu fan, the beeper, the powerbutton cable and the power supply cpu and for the motherboard itself)

Cpu and socket

Thank you, btw.

1485085257778-569289744.jpg

1485085509254-1159792632.jpg

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

Oh my...

I tried the RAM sticks in every slot but it didn't work, but as you encountered that you have to push the non fixing plastic thing a little down I tried again up to slot 4 without sucess but to get the stick in slot 4 was especially hard so I pushed the stick down with some force (what I avoided before because I'm always scared to break sth) and it went in deeper as before, I checked and it booted! Now I know I just have to push the sticks in violently.

I feel so empty inside right now, I tried thousand things, built the whole pc up several times and exchanged parts, had to ask what happened to my package because the mailman lost it and all I had to do was to push the goddamn stick further in. But I agree Gigabyte could have said what 5 beeps mean in the instruction (it was one page and very bad) or even on their website. FML.

Thank you so much for helping and searching! I appreciate it.

14 minutes ago, LX_ said:

Oh my...

I tried the RAM sticks in every slot but it didn't work, but as you encountered that you have to push the non fixing plastic thing a little down I tried again up to slot 4 without sucess but to get the stick in slot 4 was especially hard so I pushed the stick down with some force (what I avoided before because I'm always scared to break sth) and it went in deeper as before, I checked and it booted! Now I know I just have to push the sticks in violently.

I feel so empty inside right now, I tried thousand things, built the whole pc up several times and exchanged parts, had to ask what happened to my package because the mailman lost it and all I had to do was to push the goddamn stick further in. But I agree Gigabyte could have said what 5 beeps mean in the instruction (it was one page and very bad) or even on their website. FML.

Thank you so much for helping and searching! I appreciate it.

you know.. it should have sprung to mind faster, because in cleaning out my own system yesterday, i noticed it's extremely easy to make that mistake, and actually very hard to spot it. (asus sabertooth z97 mkii)

the trick is to press in the side without the clip first, and then push the side with the clip in, and to make sure the stick is in fully you can check the copper contact pads on the ram stick, the ones on the side with the clip will always be good -if the stick isnt in well on that side the clip wont close- and if the other side is in well, all the contact pads will stick up the same amiunt from the socket along the entire length of the stick.

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

That's the fix. Thank you very much. I makred the issue as solved!

Thanks to everyone who was involved!