Linus workflow confusion

Why..? Why the heck Linus?

Enough of the exaggeration... Why do you shoot in ProRes, which is easy to edit and post process, he still transcoded the footage to Cineform? Is he just wasting time or something? For footages from GH4, 100 Mbps H264 UHD 29.97 fps, I get it. But for FS700 or FS5? It doesn't make ANY sense to transcode ProRes to Cineform. I guess. Can somebody please explain?

I'm guessing Cineform is a little bit faster in terms of final output exports and overall performance. They're also probably working with a large enough backlog of episodes where they aren't trying to edit something on the same day it's shot, so the transcoding time doesn't matter a ton.

I believe that he uses Cineform because it leverages the GPU horsepower of the Titan X's in the editing workstations that they use.

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh ok so what you both mean is Cineform is better optimized for Titan Xs which performs better with CUDA acceleration than editing ProRes? Ok. And what is the point of them shooting ProRes for a Low-Quality (14 Mbps) YT upload?

Cineform should also take advantage of OpenCL on cards by AMD.

It's always better to shoot at a higher quality than you're delivering. It gives you more room to change things in post, such as color grading.

On 2/2/2017 at 11:55 AM, kenji772 said:

Oh ok so what you both mean is Cineform is better optimized for Titan Xs which performs better with CUDA acceleration than editing ProRes? Ok. And what is the point of them shooting ProRes for a Low-Quality (14 Mbps) YT upload?

Yes, Cineform will scale better on more cores and faster video cards (with 2 gpus like the titan X). The reason to shoot ProRes is to maintain color accuracy and all around higher quality footage. There is no reason to use a RED or FS7 if you're recording to a crap codec. Also, 4k YouTube videos are a variable bit-rate around 50Mbps with higher bit-rates for the new 5k-8k footage that's being accepted by YouTube.

11 hours ago, mama_fluxus said:

Yes, Cineform will scale better on more cores and faster video cards (with 2 gpus like the titan X). The reason to shoot ProRes is to maintain color accuracy and all around higher quality footage. There is no reason to use a RED or FS7 if you're recording to a crap codec. Also, 4k YouTube videos are a variable bit-rate around 50Mbps with higher bit-rates for the new 5k-8k footage that's being accepted by YouTube.

FS7's internal XAVC codec is very good.  ProRes is not really necessary, but people might still transcode to ProRes for perhaps editing performance issues with their workstations or use as proxy files. Same with RED cameras, their internal codecs are pretty good.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins