I need help setting up a MC server.

Matthewv1998

Ok ok i know this sounds a little childish but i need help finishing up a mc server for me and my friend. I've been trying to set it up so that he can join from his house so we can play together. Hamachi seems a little sketchy so I decided to use port forwarding. 

As of now i have my ip adress as static but this is where i've hit my issue, i've port forwarded my desktop on 25565, direct connect preset and 25573. The server launches but my friend cant connect. I can so i know it works on my side but not for his. I messed around with router settings for a few hours to no avail. Are there any tips that you could give me?

Okay so your PC is static correct?

In your router settings forward the port 25565 and call it MC server, the IP it is forwarding is the static IPv4 you set earlier.

Give your friend your external IP, type into google "what's my external IP" and get him to add it as a server - you don't have to append 25565 but you can if you want.

In the config. of your server, where it says IP in the server 'PROPERTIES' file keep it as blank but make the server port to 25565 or whatever port you forwarded in your router.

If you need help, let me know. 

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

11 minutes ago, Matthewv1998 said:

Ok ok i know this sounds a little childish but i need help finishing up a mc server for me and my friend. I've been trying to set it up so that he can join from his house so we can play together. Hamachi seems a little sketchy so I decided to use port forwarding. 

As of now i have my ip adress as static but this is where i've hit my issue, i've port forwarded my desktop on 25565, direct connect preset and 25573. The server launches but my friend cant connect. I can so i know it works on my side but not for his. I messed around with router settings for a few hours to no avail. Are there any tips that you could give me?

you got skype

The geek himself.

He needs to connect using your external IP.

http://ip4.me/

Also, make sure you are portforward is the same port the server is set to use.

Computers r fun

Disable hamachi, port forward 25565, unlock your java firewall in Windows Firewall, set it to public so people can access the server. You need to type in the :25565 on minecraft for you to connect because you can't use your public ip address to connect.

The geek himself.

Then he can connect with your IPv4 address, go to whatismyip.com. Don't choose IPv6, use IPv4.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

He needs to connect using your external IP.

http://ip4.me/

Also, make sure you are portforward is the same port the server is set to use.

PS, you spelt 'punctuation' wrong in your signature :P

Then it should be like this 137.951.324.134:25565

The geek himself.

3 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Disable hamachi, port forward 25565, unlock your java firewall in Windows Firewall, set it to public so people can access the server. You need to type in the :25565 on minecraft for you to connect because you can't use your public ip address to connect.

Doesn't need to write 25565 into MC if you forward that port, its a standard recognised port

48 minutes ago, JackHubbleday said:

Doesn't need to write 25565 into MC if you forward that port, its a standard recognised port

Not on all routers, mine isn't.

The geek himself.

Disable windows firewall and see if that's the problem. Even when a rule is created, it sometimes does not work as intended.

My native language is C++

13 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Not on all routers, mine isn't.

nO IT IS A GLOBALLY RECOGNISE DPORT FOR mc, ONCE YOU PORT FORWARD ITY THEN IT'LL BE OKAY AND WONT NEED TO TYPE IT ALTHOUGH IT IS GOOD PRACTICE TO WRIE PORTS

7 hours ago, JackHubbleday said:

nO IT IS A GLOBALLY RECOGNISE DPORT FOR mc, ONCE YOU PORT FORWARD ITY THEN IT'LL BE OKAY AND WONT NEED TO TYPE IT ALTHOUGH IT IS GOOD PRACTICE TO WRIE PORTS

annoying.

The geek himself.

31 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

annoying.

???

4 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

caps are annoying

IK but i typed it and cba to retype it